• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

I agree with jh's other point more so than liberals should be more conservative, which is that Dems did themselves no favors telling people black lives mattered. A very, very unpopular message.

ESPECIALLY to white middle America that is scare to death of everything, including black people.

None of this is irony. I don't typically make rulings, but ffs, none of this is irony.

I would argue that it falls under this definition:

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

It is (humorously) ironic that JHMD continues to call liberals out for their "moral superiority" whilst demonstrating his own moral superiority over the past 17K posts. Perhaps tone deaf and shockingly out of touch with his own reality are better words.

I agree with jh's other point more so than liberals should be more conservative, which is that Dems did themselves no favors telling people black lives mattered. A very, very unpopular message.

Only if you want to win.

I would argue that it falls under this definition:

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

It is (humorously) ironic that JHMD continues to call liberals out for their "moral superiority" whilst demonstrating his own moral superiority over the past 17K posts. Perhaps tone deaf and shockingly out of touch with his own reality are better words.

It's not a matter of moral superiority. It's basic pragmatism. The policies you guys advocate tend to insulate people from the consequences of their choices. So they make bad ones, resulting in bad outcomes. That's how stuff tends to work. See the last 60 years of the welfare state.

It doesn't become a moral issue until you strain to deny that outcome.

I believe in conservative policies; that much is true. That's not why you lost the election (a different issue), which is the subject of the first post. Please read Townie's post. Please and thank you.

Personally, I think trying to conclude that one self-serving conclusion about why Clinton lost the election is just as foolish as a self-serving conclusion of pick-and-choose policies I didn't like is the cause of ruination for whichever party I chose.

There were a variety of reasons that the Democrats lost. You make some good points, but your black and white viewpoint is as tedious and boring as your condensation.

Personally, I think trying to conclude that one self-serving conclusion about why Clinton lost the election is just as foolish as a self-serving conclusion of pick-and-choose policies I didn't like is the cause of ruination for whichever party I chose.

There were a variety of reasons that the Democrats lost. You make some good points, but your black and white viewpoint is as tedious and boring as your condensation.

That's nearly a slippery slope.

We've been through this 10k times before but for the sake of arguing, welfare doesn't increase single motherhood, generational dependency is a myth, and moreover, cash welfare early in a child's life improves the child’s longevity, educational attainment and nutritional status, and income in adulthood. Not to mention the system has been so significantly changed and reformed in the last 20 years, it's absurd to talk about it like some 60 year monolithic form.

But ok, yes, bad outcomes come from bad policy. We can start there. I think something jh and I have always agreed on is that the war on drugs is a huge failure, mandatory minimum sentencing is a disaster, and personal responsibility is important.

I agree. Personal responsibility is important. At my heart I am a capitalist, although I think there needs to be a balance between self-reliance and having a support system in place to take care of people so they don't fall through the cracks.

I agree. Personal responsibility is important. At my heart I am a capitalist, although I think there needs to be a balance between self-reliance and having a support system in place to take care of people so they don't fall through the cracks.

What happens when the support system becomes its own crack?

“We reserve the right to retaliate, but we will not sink to the level of this irresponsible ‘kitchen’ diplomacy. We will take further moves on restoring Russian-American relations based on the policies that the administration of President-elect Donald Trump adopts,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a statement published by the Kremlin website.

You want to promote self-reliance, but the biggest factor in the prevalence of poor decisions is the lack of opportunity. You are seeing the same things starting to happen in these rural communities. The jobs left the inner city first.

Board liberals....especially on a Wake Forest board....are just acting like the spoiled, privileged brats that they have always been. They didn't get their way in this election, so now they have become extremely petulant. There is nothing really surprising about this.

You forgot your signature line about statewide election results.

“We reserve the right to retaliate, but we will not sink to the level of this irresponsible ‘kitchen’ diplomacy. We will take further moves on restoring Russian-American relations based on the policies that the administration of President-elect Donald Trump adopts,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a statement published by the Kremlin website.

At least there is one adult in the room.

Back