• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 202: Stolen good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invited tent guy over tonight and he says he has to stay home and grout his floor. sounds like his version of "sorry I've gotta wash my hair." #beginningoftheend

Invited tent guy over tonight and he says he has to stay home and grout his floor. sounds like his version of "sorry I've gotta wash my hair." #beginningoftheend

This is where you #sendnudes

The good thing is you never had feelings for him, right?

could you go help?

sQR7Mz-wet-hot-american-summer-paul-r-tk9J.gif

I feel like floor grouting is a project that one plans for, unlike hair washing. You're probably ok don't overthink it

could you go help?

maybe if I was a nice person?

I feel like floor grouting is a project that one plans for, unlike hair washing. You're probably ok don't overthink it

yeah probably related to him not coming over the other day due to tiling the floor. & probably related to the fact that his reno has been crawling along for months and now he is throwing a party next week so it miiiight be a good idea to have a first floor bathroom and the new washer and dryer out of the living room and no tile saw on the dining table.

chic, birdman, Thinking, thoughts on this idea? http://msphere.asm.org/content/1/6/e00307-16

Interesting experiment. I can see the upside as well as the problems. All I really know is the current system is extremely flawed. If the senior editor staff takes the content review seriously then I can see it working. Nobody would want to have their name associated with a shit publication, including the reviewer so the initial review would be stringent in the capacity it is now. Additionally peers would give honest feedback, right now you have competitors that straight up want to reject your stuff no matter what it is (same for grant reviews which has happened to me before).

Also anything that gets the information out there quicker and frees more time for freeing research moving forward I am all for. You use to be able to get a manuscript published without additional experiments and minor edits. Now you basically have the lower less than 5 impact factors like PLOS one that you might be able to get away with that and even those it's iffy. Editors are willing to accept papers straight as is, while reviewers feel obligated to find anything or something to prove they are a good reviewer for you to do as an additional experiment. It becomes a game of how smart am I to come up with some crazy tangent that you should explore.

The whole publishing should be simplified to a single searchable online continuous publication repository run by the government. You have sections then sub sections of those large sections. Within that you have editors and a quick peer review to make sure your scientific methods are sound, then it gets published. If you follow your field you read what comes out everywhere anyway and let the field dictate what they want to put to the front and let it all be out there. Some of the most ground breaking cited papers are in what people consider lesser journals because their impact wasn't felt for years.

Great answer. Now more important: do you tip AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back