• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 202: Stolen good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While that is a hoax, I've actually thought a lot about this report (https://fas.org/irp/agency/dhs/fema/ncr.pdf) that talks about the effects of a 10kt improvised nuclear devise explosion in downtown DC. Depending on time of year and weather, I might live if I'm at home in my basement.

My wife rolled her eyes at me when I told her she needs to be prepared to grab some food and head to our underground garage and then hide out there in the car for a couple days.

Her loss.

While that is a hoax, I've actually thought a lot about this report (https://fas.org/irp/agency/dhs/fema/ncr.pdf) that talks about the effects of a 10kt improvised nuclear devise explosion in downtown DC. Depending on time of year and weather, I might live if I'm at home in my basement.

We both look to be squarely in the "moderate damage" region. I'm in a basement apartment so I would probably either live OR die under the remains of my old POS building.

My wife rolled her eyes at me when I told her she needs to be prepared to grab some food and head to our underground garage and then hide out there in the car for a couple days.

Her loss.

She probably rolled her eyes because she's already bought Alex Jones' year-long supply of dried food.

mukUhpy.png

damn, leebs may want to consider that

she could cut into her grocery budget even more!

I don't have a difficult time seeing myself as a prepper at some point in my life.

Not like lawless riots or zombie invasion prepper but more like global pandemic or natural disaster.

I was stressed out enough being the last person on the floor in dodgeball last night (yes I'm bringing that up a second time)... not sure I'd be up for trying to be a scrappy survivor in some post-apocalyptic world.

Pretty sure courts have ruled them to be the modern equivalent of a town square.

Uhhh no. If a mall is private property then Paul Blart can kick you out for any reason at all. There is no right to walk around a mall.

Also good luck getting a TX jury to award you any damages for getting punched out by a bad hombre after screaming santa isnt real at kids.

I was stressed out enough being the last person on the floor in dodgeball last night (yes I'm bringing that up a second time)... not sure I'd be up for trying to be a scrappy survivor in some post-apocalyptic world.

Whenever a crowd I'm in plays the "which three people here would you choose to be in your crew for post-apocalyptia" game I'm almost always the third choice.

Anybody ever been to Texarkana? I'll be spending Friday night there on my way to Nashville.

Also advice on cross country trips with a dog. This will be my first.

don't sleep on the MOBA expert, guys

Lol. I think it has more to do with being a military brat. Even if you don't explicitly tell people your father and grandfathers were Marines, it reveals itself in character traits.

At least I like to think it does.

Anybody ever been to Texarkana? I'll be spending Friday night there on my way to Nashville.

Also advice on cross country trips with a dog. This will be my first.

I've been to Texarkana. It sucks - one massive truck stop.

When we road trip with the dog we stop every 3-4 hours or so for a piss break (both humans and dogs) and to stretch the legs. The dog usually just chills in between stops. If the dog is crate trained and the crate fits in the car, you may want to consider using that to contain the dog. A dog harness that buckles into the seat belt is useful too.

Lol. I think it has more to do with being a military brat. Even if you don't explicitly tell people your father and grandfathers were Marines, it reveals itself in character traits.

At least I like to think it does.

Punctuality? Cleanliness?

An Improvised Nuclear Device is your Worst Nightmare

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Team, led by Brooke Buddemeier, has done a series of these reports and accompanying videos with the "purple ping pong balls of death" as Brooke calls them. The documents cover several large, important US cities. The purpose is to inform first and second responders where to concentrate their efforts, to get the most lives saved and people rescued within the constraints of not killing the rescuers with excess radiation. An IND is one of the few terrorist type events that can kill after the initiating event is over.

In the US we dismantled our civil defense capabilities in the1990's. There are still a few fallout shelter signs on some buildings, but they no longer contain the food, water and radiation detection instruments that they once did. You can get the yellow civil defense radiation detectors on ebay and elsewhere on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back