• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

If it's accurate that Elrod was funneling WF confidential information to opponents going back to 2014, I am stunned that no one on our staff got wind of it before the L'ville discovery at the end of this season. There are so many interconnecting relationships among football coaches, it's just hard to believe that no one got the word back to Wake Forest that this was going on; this goes way beyond gamesmanship; it's flat out wrong, but not a single opposing coach that took advantage of this (or became aware that they could take advantage of this) spoke out to stop it?

Also, teams self-scout to pick up how other teams read their team's tendencies. The WF coaches must have been freaking out wondering why opponents knew what was coming.

The lack of information makes me read a slight tone of WFU propaganda into it. I don't trust MSD entirely because they have a history of attempting to spin stories. I am not saying there is no truth to the story, and WFU and IMG would certainly have not taken the actions they did without justification, but the lack of transparency raises my antennae.

The lack of information makes me read a slight tone of WFU propaganda into it. I don't trust MSD entirely because they have a history of attempting to spin stories. I am not saying there is no truth to the story, and WFU and IMG would certainly have not taken the actions they did without justification, but the lack of transparency raises my antennae.

What lack of transparency? I imagine that Wake wants to be able to pursue legal action against him and saying anything other than the basics could potentially hurt their case.

If I remember correctly, jimmy quander is the go to local attorney for wake athletes who find themselves needing a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's accurate that Elrod was funneling WF confidential information to opponents going back to 2014, I am stunned that no one on our staff got wind of it before the L'ville discovery at the end of this season. There are so many interconnecting relationships among football coaches, it's just hard to believe that no one got the word back to Wake Forest that this was going on; this goes way beyond gamesmanship; it's flat out wrong, but not a single opposing coach that took advantage of this (or became aware that they could take advantage of this) spoke out to stop it?

Also, teams self-scout to pick up how other teams read their team's tendencies. The WF coaches must have been freaking out wondering why opponents knew what was coming.

It's certainly possible that someone alerted our staff but an investigation didn't show anything until now.

But I think it's most likely a few people Elrod already knew took the info and kept quiet. Coaches like to win. Coaches hate losing to LOWF.

No words...just shock. My phone was blowing up at a happy hour. This is absurd on a number of levels. If they have his texts and emails, when know who he was talking with since 2014. More to come I guess!

Man, wasn't really friends w Elrod, but hung out with him a few times and am friends with a ton of folks who are close with his wife and fam.

Just bad news bears all around. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a kid, but man, I don't think I'd do this. Maybe they needed the $$ who knows. Just really disappointing.

Who cares if they needed money. Find a respectable way to do it, not screw over a bunch of kids devoting their college years to WFU for football.

Brian Knorr was the DC at Indiana last season (2015)

While the coaching fraternity can be pretty tight, I think it's usually tightest among head coaches and seasoned assistants. I doubt he was feeding this info to Petrino or anybody at the top. Most likely trying to feed it to ambitious assistant coaches looking to make their scouting and gameplanning easier.

Wow.

What lack of transparency? I imagine that Wake wants to be able to pursue legal action against him and saying anything other than the basics could potentially hurt their case.

Yep, it's early. I get it. And I am absolutely speculating based on no facts, only historical behavior. I am just saying it would not surprise me for WFU leadership to stretch the truth on this story.

He ain't wrong. It's in the Wake AD's playbook. They rumor-monger with the best of 'em. When will the boozing/gambling/glue-sniffing stories leak?

He ain't wrong. It's in the Wake AD's playbook. They rumor-monger with the best of 'em. When will the boozing/gambling/glue-sniffing stories leak?

I heard Elrod spent a lot of time hitting on coeds at Village Tavern.

Wake is on the front page of ESPN and has top billing on CFB Reddit.

Fun times.

Back