• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody ever tear a calf muscle?

isledeac

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I thought mine was a severe strain. I hurt it the first time at the end of October playing soccer. Couldn't walk for a few days and went to an Urgent Care walk-in. They said it was pulled. A few weeks later I was pretty much fine and playing basketball when I thought someone kicked me in the same calf from behind. Turned around and nobody was there. Was able to walk much better than the first time I got hurt, so I figured it was another pull/strain - but it is a month later and I don't have any of the definition in my left calf that I used to have (and still have in my right calf). Anybody ever deal with anything like this? I googled it already and think amputation is the answer. Thanks.

Actually yes. Did it while walking down a hill during a round of golf. Felt a pop in my calf and thought I had just gotten hit with an errant shot. Once I realized that nothing had actually hit me, I knew something weird had happened. I ran into an ortho surgeon on the course, and he said I had torn my calf, and that it should heal on its own with rest. I ended up laying off of it for a couple of weeks and wore a neoprene sleeve in that area. After a month of so, it was pretty much back to normal. Unless you totally screwed it up, it should heal on its own. Do the ice thing and then lay off of it as best you can for a while.

Thanks, Bubble. That sounds like me.

Getting old sucks.

I did this about 18 months ago. Heard a pop and it felt like I'd been shot. I looked around but didn't see anyone. Then the searing pain set in. Went to the hospital and they gave me a boot and a bunch of pain meds. Was off my feet for a few days and then in a boot for maybe 6 weeks. Did PT for maybe 8 weeks using this really cool zero gravity treadmill that allowed me to adjust the amount of weight I was walking on. But overall if sucked.

Sorry to hear this. Yes, and it's a terrible shooting pain initially. I did it while playing church league softball and legging out a triple into a HR. :)

I also felt a pop in my calf and could barely walk immediately. While I did a few sessions of PT, it should heal on its own.

You need to make sure that you actually do some form of PT and then after that always stretch you calf more than usual. Once torn the calf muscle often reattaches with a shorter extension, giving you a tighter calf muscle to start with. It makes it much easier to tear it again, sounds like might be what happened here after your first injury. Also if you have scar tissue buildup that can also make the muscle tighter but PT should help with that too.

Lots of people have. I would guess 100s of 1000s, perhaps millions.

Yep. Did it doing what had previously been an easy move during a home workout. It popped and I collapsed. Drove around town to find some crutches I could limp around on for a few days and did just that (after wasting a couple hundo at the local drive-thru medical place for them to tell me what I already knew), then limped for several more days off of them. I still feel it tighten up on me more than a year later, and I don't push it. Make sure you stretch real well before any running or moving type exercises once it heals. Some downward dog and other sustained calf stretches will help. Note that I am in my 40s and heal a lot slower than I used to. Your mileage may vary.

I Have done it twice. The last time was skiing in Colorado. It happened 7 minutes into skiing the first day. Of a week long trip. Done. LOSER

Does this increase the risk of tearing the achilles? That is an injury you don't want to have.

The PT advice was good. Let's keep this at a torn calf muscle only.

Does this increase the risk of tearing the achilles? That is an injury you don't want to have.

The PT advice was good. Let's keep this at a torn calf muscle only.

I just had Achilles surgery and it is not fun though not nearly as bad as I thought or heard.

Achilles tears / issues can be tied to calf tightness. During the Achilles surgery, they surgically lengthened my calf muscle to help in the future.

Back