• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

Reminds me of Riley Skinner-- last kid signed in his class. Nobody wanted him. He was third string and moved up as guys got hurt. Once it was his job, never let it go.

What? That is not Wolford‘s story. . . At all.

Here's a fun stat: In the past decade, only four quarterbacks have tallied 2,000 pass yards, 20 passing touchdowns, 500 rush yards and 10 rush TDs in their team's first 10 games: Lamar Jackson, Jordan Lynch, Dak Prescott and Wake's John Wolford. Only one has done it with fewer than five turnovers: Wolford.

Nope. Wolford was second string to him but Wolford had a great preseason and won the job. Then he has been playing really well and Clawson decided to stick with one QB over the dusl usage of past years. Hinton has looked pretty good himself in his time on the field in relief or in place of Wolford. He's likely the presumed starter fprnnext season with the younger QBs nipping at his heels.

That's right.

But holy smokes, does Jamie Newman look the part or what? Kid is big and looks like a legit athlete.

Here's a fun stat: In the past decade, only four quarterbacks have tallied 2,000 pass yards, 20 passing touchdowns, 500 rush yards and 10 rush TDs in their team's first 10 games: Lamar Jackson, Jordan Lynch, Dak Prescott and Wake's John Wolford. Only one has done it with fewer than five turnovers: Wolford.

Don't know about the others, but Wolford missed one of the 10 games, so he did it in 9 games.

I was really down on Wolford by the GT game. The last three games have been a revelation.

The biggest thing that turned around to me is the play of the offensive line. Wolford has shown glimpses of being a solid quarterback for three years, but never had the offensive line (and by default the running game) to supplement his game. He has improved immensely over these four years, but the jump he has made this season has been attributable to the offensive line, and probably tied into that as well, a complete change of mentality from the offensive play calling that went from "run to set up the throw" to "pass to set up the run", which has made a HUGE difference.

The biggest thing that turned around to me is the play of the offensive line. Wolford has shown glimpses of being a solid quarterback for three years, but never had the offensive line (and by default the running game) to supplement his game. He has improved immensely over these four years, but the jump he has made this season has been attributable to the offensive line, and probably tied into that as well, a complete change of mentality from the offensive play calling that went from "run to set up the throw" to "pass to set up the run", which has made a HUGE difference.

I thought from the first time I saw Wolford play for us, he could be really good if he ever has a decent OL in front of him. He's accurate, smart and really a heck of an athlete, but for the better part of 3 years he played behind a really bad line. Not many QB's are going to flourish behind a bad OL.

Yup. When the O-Line is getting enough push that we start pulling off the delayed option where Wolford just keeps it and patiently churns out 8 yards behind our RB and lead blockers, defenses don't get to cheat anywhere. Then we get man coverage on our receivers, less traffic over the middle for Cam... With Wolford showing elite decision-making things get real fun.

If you ever get time (or what desire) to see what Clawson's offense looked like at Bowling Green, it is basically what we have done the past few games. The holes the lines opened up were huge, the delayed handoff/read option game worked very well, and he extended the boundaries a lot with sweeps and quick hitters (we don't do as many sweeps without Dortch). Many questioned whether or not that type of offense could work at the ACC with the athletes that Wake gets year in and year out (myself included), but Clawson is showing us once again that once he gets the players in that he wants and can work with them for a few years, that he can pretty much get anything done.

I think the hurry up offense suits Wolford.... :)

I bet Clawson is regretting not giving Wolford a chance to win the FSU game and instead playing so conservatively. Either way, this is the most excited I've been about WF Football since 2006.

Wolford’s back foot throws have been absolutely on point the last few games.

As somebody who has been tough on the offense, Ruggerio, and Clawson this season (obviously up until the Louisville game), I give them all the credit in the world for turning it around. I do think that it is a legitimate question as to why it took this long to figure out. My best guess is that they were still trying to figure out what they had with the offensive line, and the schedule set up somewhat oddly with regards to starting off easily before hitting a tougher stretch in the middle.

I think all of the improvements we have noted stem from the O-line improvement, including the shift in philosophy (pass first v run first).

However...

A lot of NCAA QBs have the time that Wolford is now enjoying, some have even better target talent (now that Dortch is out) but very few have done what Wolford has done against a difficult schedule.

Back