• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

I'm not a Wolford enthusiast by any means but damn did that kid play with some heart and balls of steel yesterday. Couldn't have asked for a much better performance. Too bad he got injured, I was sent the play he got injured on while at the game and it looked rough (and slightly illegal) but I'm happy to hear he's healthy and not significantly injured to any extent. Thanks for the game Wolf, it was a hell of a time for all of us Deacon fans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm a critic, but wolford played a good game -- was decisive and accurate w his throws. was the temple d-line smaller than those we've gone against in the acc? that's always been a bit of a struggle for wolford.

If I am describing Johnny "Football" Wolford, I like to use the following adjectives and phrases.

Tough as nails
Gutsy
Heart of a Lion
Gritty
Lunch Pail kind of fella
Workhorse
Gym Rat

Do any of you great Deacon fans have any other words to throw in?

This is a bizarre post at best. I guess if Wolford should transfer so he finds more success elsewhere - are we to assume that he will grow a few inches if he transfers or should he just transfer to The University of Short Offensive Linemen?

Idk...maybe transfer to a school who plays in a conference where players don't have such a physical advantage over him?

And to those saying bad timing, or a bizarre post...Kearns showed the strongest arm wake has played since who exactly? What am I supposed to do, praise john for completing 55% of his passes? He is an average athlete at best with a heart bigger than anyone we have seen come through this program in the last 25 years...That being said we need someone better if we expect our offense to improve. His limitations do just that, limit. If you disagree, I guess you enjoy watching stagnant offense.

I threw out the transfer idea because it would be best alternative for him. I don't see a three year starter with that big a heart wanting to be benched for his final year of football ever, but maybe that is just me.

If you want we can wait and talk about this after everyone gets over how amazing a player he, or we can address a problem when it arises and quit treating this like a game between 5 and 6 year olds where their feelings are more important than results.

Go Deacs!

I want what is best for Wake. To compete in a Power 5 conference. and I refuse to let personal bias blind me from what has been holding us back. QBS will only ever be as good as the opportunity they are given. If you only let one practice with 2nd and 3rd team, they will perform like 2nd and 3rd team.

Just my 2 cents, ignore it if you can't be man enough to disregard someones feelings.

edited to add: Just an example, but I have a feeling that Wolford would have much more success an the American conference, where he can play inflated teams and their inflated rankings. Anyone who thinks that Temple team is a legit top 25 team, with a legit top 5 defense in the country, is clearly a little confused with how rankings and the media work together...Open your eyes please. you really think Temples D comes close to the likes of Bama's?

Last edited:
Idk...maybe transfer to a school who plays in a conference where players don't have such a physical advantage over him?

And to those saying bad timing, or a bizarre post...Kearns showed the strongest arm wake has played since who exactly? What am I supposed to do, praise john for completing 55% of his passes? He is an average athlete at best with a heart bigger than anyone we have seen come through this program in the last 25 years...That being said we need someone better if we expect our offense to improve. His limitations do just that, limit. If you disagree, I guess you enjoy watching stagnant offense.

I threw out the transfer idea because it would be best alternative for him. I don't see a three year starter with that big a heart wanting to be benched for his final year of football ever, but maybe that is just me.

If you want we can wait and talk about this after everyone gets over how amazing a player he, or we can address a problem when it arises and quit treating this like a game between 5 and 6 year olds where their feelings are more important than results.

Go Deacs!

I want what is best for Wake. To compete in a Power 5 conference. and I refuse to let personal bias blind me from what has been holding us back. QBS will only ever be as good as the opportunity they are given. If you only let one practice with 2nd and 3rd team, they will perform like 2nd and 3rd team.

Just my 2 cents, ignore it if you can't be man enough to disregard someones feelings.

Welcome to the boards, Mr. Kearns.

First Wake QB to ever throw for 1500 yards and run for 500 in a season. I bet if you polled the fanbase after he threw the pick and Temple scored on their first play about 90% thought we were in for a beat down (I fit squarely into that category) and about 40% would have benched Wolford. Instead Wake rattles off 31 straight to take a lead they'd never surrender - against the 3rd ranked defense in the country no less. First bowl win against a ranked team, beat a conference champion, got to 7 wins - and the program desperately needed this.

Tons of credit to Carney and Colburn for combining for 130+ and over 4 yards per carry on dozens of tough inside runs. Their effort kept Temple honest and gave Wolford a chance to play smart and pick his spots - finally having a healthy-ish Serigne obviously helped. It's easy to focus on the negatives and Wolford's limitations, but that combination paired with our defense was legitimately good this year when we weren't coping with injuries.

Congrats to Wolford, Clawson, the seniors, and the rest of the team. Gritty performance and a huge win for the program.

Well stated. Advance stats F/+ composite rankings ((think "Ken Pom for football)) had Temple as a top 20 team in the country. Great win. Wolford played his heart out all season, and with a bum shoulder the last 4 regular season games. I'm hoping that we get elevated WR play next year from the like of Chuck, Cortez, Tabari, Cam, etc - we need that as well.

Well stated. Advance stats F/+ composite rankings ((think "Ken Pom for football)) had Temple as a top 20 team in the country. Great win. Wolford played his heart out all season, and with a bum shoulder the last 4 regular season games. I'm hoping that we get elevated WR play next year from the like of Chuck, Cortez, Tabari, Cam, etc - we need that as well.

I'm hopeful that yesterday gives Scotty Washington a little shot of confidence and motivation going into to the offseason to improve his skills. I think he's got potential, just needs to develop.

He's a raw freshman. He was called on to do too much based on the strange idea that Wade isn't an outside WR.

Wolford has been unfairly critiqued here based on his first two years when almost any QB would've failed given the talent around him. This year, Wolford was beaten and bruised and still persevered.

As for Kearns v. Wolford, it appears the Clawson prefers a QB who is also a run threat to keep opposing defense from keying only on the tailback. Given that Kearns does not pose the same running threat as Hinton, Newman or Wolford, not sure Kearns fits the offense as well as others.

The QB battle this Spring will be fascinating with 4 players with a legit shot to play next year (5 if you want to include Powell).

Clawson will not play favorites. Next year's schedule is very tough. He will play whomever gives WF best chance to win, and give the style of offense that WF plays, fair to anticipate that at least 2, maybe 3 QBs will get substantial PT next year.

Wolford has been unfairly critiqued here based on his first two years when almost any QB would've failed given the talent around him. This year, Wolford was beaten and bruised and still persevered.

As for Kearns v. Wolford, it appears the Clawson prefers a QB who is also a run threat to keep opposing defense from keying only on the tailback. Given that Kearns does not pose the same running threat as Hinton, Newman or Wolford, not sure Kearns fits the offense as well as others.

The QB battle this Spring will be fascinating with 4 players with a legit shot to play next year (5 if you want to include Powell).

Clawson will not play favorites. Next year's schedule is very tough. He will play whomever gives WF best chance to win, and give the style of offense that WF plays, fair to anticipate that at least 2, maybe 3 QBs will get substantial PT next year.

Giving everyone a fair shot would make me happy. I don't want the job to be given to Wolford just because he has the experience. Does the experience give him a better chance to make better decisions? absolutely. Does playing a less talented, experienced qb over one with more potential to actually take wake past where they have been stuck the last 10 years, I doubt it.

And yes there is more than experience at play here, but from what it sounds like in interviews, that seemed to have been the deciding factor as far as who got the PT this year. Wolford was injured sure...but that doesn't hide the fact that he does not have an ACC level arm, freezes up in the pocket anytime there is a pressure, and usually gets knocked out for a few drives per game due to his size.

Clawson gave Hinton the job this year over Wolford prior to his injury after starting with a 2 QB system. The idea that Wolford is his "favorite" doesn't hold much water.

Still strange posts for this thread. Wolford played well yesterday as deserves a little praise. He's also a very good athlete.

You can be undersized for the QB position but still be a good athlete. Wolford's 40 time is the same as Hinton's - hence his long TD runs this year. Non-athletes don't just break off 60+ yard TD runs against ACC opponents.

Wolford is a good athlete. His running ability this year really surprised me.

You can be undersized for the QB position but still be a good athlete. Wolford's 40 time is the same as Hinton's - hence his long TD runs this year. Non-athletes don't just break off 60+ yard TD runs against ACC opponents.

Sure being fast definitely has something to do with being a good athlete, but if you are trying to say wolford is as good an athlete as Hinton, I really feel sorry for how you view the game of football.

Characteristics that determine someones athletic ability(just with their legs for that matter):

speed while sprinting
acceleration/quickness
lateral movement
agility

those are just looking into how one can use their legs. I wonder if there is any footage of wolford making people miss due to his skill rather than poor tackling.

Now is he a terrible athlete with not talent? No, I never said that either. But he is a limited QB at this level because his lack of athletic ability as well as physical talent/gifts.

And to those saying bad timing, or a bizarre post...Kearns showed the strongest arm wake has played since who exactly?

Since Tanner Price.

Great effort John. The guy is tough as nails. Seriously. But he is going to get killed. That tackle yesterday was brutal. He got spinal tingl d for sure. He is an excellent runner but the end comes with a price. He is just too small to play at this level and stay healthy. He would be a dII all American.

Back