• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

Sure being fast definitely has something to do with being a good athlete, but if you are trying to say wolford is as good an athlete as Hinton, I really feel sorry for how you view the game of football.

Characteristics that determine someones athletic ability(just with their legs for that matter):

speed while sprinting
acceleration/quickness
lateral movement
agility

those are just looking into how one can use their legs. I wonder if there is any footage of wolford making people miss due to his skill rather than poor tackling.

Now is he a terrible athlete with not talent? No, I never said that either. But he is a limited QB at this level because his lack of athletic ability as well as physical talent/gifts.

Are you seriously unwilling to acknowledge that Wolford is a good athlete? He rushed for 521 yards this year, and nearly had a 100 yard games against Syracuse and UVA.

Are you seriously unwilling to acknowledge that Wolford is a good athlete? He rushed for 521 yards this year, and nearly had a 100 yard games against Syracuse and UVA.

I am unwilling to say something that isn't true.

He is an average athlete at best.

considering our offense relied primarily on the run, with id say 20% of the planned carries being a read option for him, 521 yards for a year isn't that impossible to get to, especially if you run a couple straight shot 70 yard scampers.

again, speed does not make someone a good athlete.

considering our offense relied primarily on the run, with id say 20% of the planned carries being a read option for him, 521 yards for a year isn't that impossible to get to, especially if you run a couple straight shot 70 yard scampers.

this guys getting a lot of responses considering his tiny post count :tard:

Wolford is a good athlete. He is fast and has decent vision and agility. Again size is the issue. That is not athleticism. After that hit yesterday I wonder if his career is over. He is taking too many hits. He got hammered multiple times yesterday.

Yeah, you're just straight up wrong.

Canadiandeac - unless you are Chris Barclay in real life, I really cannot understand your point of view. Let it go, my friend. Wolford is a good athlete. Undersized - sure - yeah wouldn't we all love to be Cam Newton prototypes. But this is college football, not pro sports. Wolford balling to the best of his God given ability. And yeah, toughness counts. Tell Brett Favre that toughness doesn't count. Wolford has myriad strengths and together with some weaknesses, like all 20 year old amateur athletes.

After watching three years of Wolford staring at the bench for 15 seconds before every play and then watching him in up tempo yesterday, it crossed my mind that maybe our offensive problems run a little deeper than just the quarterback.

After watching three years of Wolford staring at the bench for 15 seconds before every play and then watching him in up tempo yesterday, it crossed my mind that maybe our offensive problems run a little deeper than just the quarterback.

Good point. I think it helped that Temple didn't have our game plan, either.

Yeah thought the up tempo call was great. It does bother me some that before every play there's a pause and a dead stare at the sideline. Makes you wonder.

this guys getting a lot of responses considering his tiny post count :tard:

I guess only the amount of posts one makes is the only indication of how knowledgeable on a sport one is...

I have been reading these boards since before we changed over from scout. I have been paying detailed attention to wake sports long before I met chris Barclay and his teammates in the lockerroom after most games in the early 2000s...

but still, I am just voicing an opinion, something that the wake fanbase has been lacking the last 10 years because of some extremely questionable decisions from our AD.

I have asked for specific characteristics that make Wolford a "good" athlete.

I have received the following responses:

speed
vision?
toughness?
edited to add: agility. someone threw this out even though I have seen 0 evidence of John having good or even above average agility. if this was the case I feel like he would have a better move than just falling down when the pocket collapses...

I refuse to acknowledge something that is not true, which some of you seem to have an easier idea of doing.

Last edited:

Straight 70 yard scampers or not, any QB running 500+ yards behind that garbage line must have some degree of athleticism. He has good running ability. He's not a good QB. He had a pretty good half yesterday after that bad start. Uptempo was the key, as were yards after contact on some of those runs that should've gone for about 2 yards and ended up going 5-6 instead.

Straight 70 yard scampers or not, any QB running 500+ yards behind that garbage line must have some degree of athleticism. He has good running ability. He's not a good QB. He had a pretty good half yesterday after that bad start. Uptempo was the key, as were yards after contact on some of those runs that should've gone for about 2 yards and ended up going 5-6 instead.

I already acknowledged he is an average athlete...guess that was read over

Has their been an injury update on Wolford? Is he going to be fine for Spring?

In on he's a good athlete. In on freeZing in the pocket. Doesn't have that sixth sense feeling pressure. Doesn't matter as he's the best we had. Needs to get on the fucking ground instead of the two more yards take your head off plays.

I guess only the amount of posts one makes is the only indication of how knowledgeable on a sport one is...

I have been reading these boards since before we changed over from scout. I have been paying detailed attention to wake sports long before I met chris Barclay and his teammates in the lockerroom after most games in the early 2000s...

but still, I am just voicing an opinion, something that the wake fanbase has been lacking the last 10 years because of some extremely questionable decisions from our AD.

speed
vision?
toughness?
edited to add: agility. someone threw this out even though I have seen 0 evidence of John having good or even above average agility. if this was the case I feel like he would have a better move than just falling down when the pocket collapses...

I refuse to acknowledge something that is not true, which some of you seem to have an easier idea of doing.

Take the L.

speed
vision?
toughness?

Well at least you aren't a Trump voter.

Take the L.

with 0 evidence to prove something that isn't true?

no thank you. I don't succumb to a majority just because they agree on something...

If clawson gives a fair shot, there is no way john should start anything other than a cupcake game next season. unless he develops an awesome arm over the summer.

Back