• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

what was the alternative to playing Wolford this year? Throwing Kearns into the fire into an offense that wasn't designed for his skill set even though we (clearly) had potential to make a bowl game this year?

I'm just not sure what canadian is arguing here. Everyone acknowledges that Wolford was a clear #2 to Hinton this year. Once Hinton went down, Wolford was absolutely the best option.

i was trying to nicely say as hard a worker he is and as much as i like his effort, his limitations will hold us back if he is our QB next year. its time to move on from his inability to attack a defense through the air. he lacks tools that an ACC teams needs to compete

I admire all the heart and competitive spirit of John Wolford through his years at Wake thus far, most notably the last 4 weeks playing with a separated shoulder. His will to fight through what most players see as a reason to rest puts him as one of my favorite competitors to put on a wake uniform.

That being said,

He does not have the physical tools to play quarterback at the level of competition we wish to reach as a program. He is too short to see over the o-line on a consistent basis which makes the lines job even more difficult, trying to open passing windows. If there is an opening to get the ball out, there is a 50/50 chance John has the arm strength to make the throw. He just is not cut out to take Wake to where we want to be.

To me it was obvious the arm talent difference once kearns got in the game. It was even more obvious he was not ready due to lack of reps with the 1st team.3 drops which occurred mostly because of throwing the ball too hard. the interception was a decent read, but required a throw Kyle hasn't had the experience to learn yet.

I hope for Johns sake we can accommodate him somehow by getting him a release so he can continue his football career somewhere he might find more success.

I want to reiterate, I am thankful for what John has done for this program, but his lack of physical talent and ability limits the Demon Deacon offense.

Goodluck with whatever comes your way Mr. Wofford!

Go Deacs
Agree. Kearns, Hinton and the freshman from Graham should compete for job next year. No way Kearns will stick around if he is looking at third team again next year. Wolford has had his chance. We need to go with the younger guys.

You guys weren't so supportive of Wolford when he was sucking the last 6 games. The OC was horrible this year until yesterday so that didn't help Wolford but the guy is limited. I'll take Kearns over Wolford. He can make all of the throws and stretch the field. Teams can't jam our receivers with Kearns like they do with Wolford.

He got a lot of shit this season from people on here, but at the end of the day

image.png

This is basically the best post in this thread.

He has limitations. He feels forced to make plays that he has no chance with. I don't now who on this offense he trusts. He found some in the Bowl game, but hasn't always found them often over the last 3 years. He has as many "atta boy's" as "Oh shits", but nobody on the board can question how tough this kid is. He represents us very well.

You may not be aware of this, but we just went to and won a bowl game.

I am totally aware. We beat an inflated team out of the American...

That being said it was still a Bowl win, after a Mediocre season. A great season when you think of where we have come from, but in all reality, a mediocre year.

Most impressive win all year was @ IU, and that turned out to be not so impressive.

We beat three of the worst teams in the ACC this year, losing to all the teams that were better than us which was to be expected.

We capitalized on a week OOC schedule(again using this as our biggest win as well).

Be happy all you want about being 7-6 by beating cupcakes and finishing it off by beating a team inflated by playing against American conference talent all year, but Ill be happy that we are finally moving forward as a program.

And the only way we will continue to move forward is to make decisions at integral positions on the team going forward, rather than continue to hope that some undersized, average athelete can somehow become something he's not.

Again, I have already said I have yet to see a player in my life of following wake play as hard and get beat to shit as constantly as John Wolford. Biggest heart I can remember since JGRAY, but he limits us.

John Wolford is 3rd all time in the State of Florida for career TDs with 126 in high school.

He has physical limitations but he's a great athlete.

This was a decent year- have to be happy winning a bowl as a dog against a ranked if over rated team. BC and Army at home quell any sense of euphoria. We did good but no better than good. We wont see a schedule like this again so we better get better to stay in the bowl hunt/500 range, a lot better to be more than that. Kind of a bitter sweet season with those home losses but we have something to like going into next year. Stopping the leaks does not fix our offense. Glad the players, staff and we fans got rewarded with bowl and a bowl win. Enjoy it. Wets the appetite to get better. We have to do so to stay competitive.

The bowl game win was a pleasant surprise after the 2nd half of the season turned into a disaster after a promising start to the season.

Temple was the most impressive win of the year by a good margin.

I'll say this: Kearns has a really nice arm. We haven't seen zip like that in a while.

Brings back memories of Tanner Price throwing 90 MPH fastballs on slant/drag routes where the receiver was 5 yards away.

Temple's biggest all year was the last week of the year when the beat a ranked Navy team that just lost their starting RB and QB in the same game.

Their rankings mean nothing coming out of the American. That is a joke of a football conference and has been since it was created. I went to ECU. I watched first hand the difference in talent.

and to bring up HS...he could have been qualified as an above average qb athletically at that level, but there is nothing to indicate he has an athletic advantage over opposing linebackers and secondaries.

Tim tebow held most florida records...isn't he playing baseball now?

Temple's biggest all year was the last week of the year when the beat a ranked Navy team that just lost their starting RB and QB in the same game.

Their rankings mean nothing coming out of the American. That is a joke of a football conference and has been since it was created. I went to ECU. I watched first hand the difference in talent.

and to bring up HS...he could have been qualified as an above average qb athletically at that level, but there is nothing to indicate he has an athletic advantage over opposing linebackers and secondaries.

Tim tebow held most florida records...isn't he playing baseball now?

Dude, you realize Tim Tebow won two National Championships and the Heisman right? Good example.

Dude, you realize Tim Tebow won two National Championships and the Heisman right? Good example.

dude you realize that Tebow had a much more ready body for this sport? you do know that he was a tough guy that actually played through any injury. and you do know that he played for the FLORIDA GATORS, who have a little more talent than we do.

some people need to learn what context is.

South Florida was a pretty good team and they beat them. They won their last five games by at least two touchdowns. They were a good team which is supported by all of the unbiased ranking systems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

He's right about the American though. USF is their last shot to redeem the conference.

Back