• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
Hell of a competitor that nearly won a game while only playing 1/2 of it. Know there is a lot of love to go around, but he made some critical plays to give us the lead we needed. Proud of his effort and excited for next season.

He got a lot of shit this season from people on here, but at the end of the day

image.png

Hell of a competitor that nearly won a game while only playing 1/2 of it. Know there is a lot of love to go around, but he made some critical plays to give us the lead we needed. Proud of his effort and excited for next season.

Gutsy and mentally tough. His size hurts him, but when we are up-tempo he makes great reads. I can't recall a Wake QB taking the physical beating that he has endured. The O-line has improved but I hope it is even better for his senior season.

John is not a big guy. My grandson, a HS. Sophomore, got his picture with him after the game. Looks like he might be 6'. But he is a man and has been all year.

I admire all the heart and competitive spirit of John Wolford through his years at Wake thus far, most notably the last 4 weeks playing with a separated shoulder. His will to fight through what most players see as a reason to rest puts him as one of my favorite competitors to put on a wake uniform.

That being said,

He does not have the physical tools to play quarterback at the level of competition we wish to reach as a program. He is too short to see over the o-line on a consistent basis which makes the lines job even more difficult, trying to open passing windows. If there is an opening to get the ball out, there is a 50/50 chance John has the arm strength to make the throw. He just is not cut out to take Wake to where we want to be.

To me it was obvious the arm talent difference once kearns got in the game. It was even more obvious he was not ready due to lack of reps with the 1st team.3 drops which occurred mostly because of throwing the ball too hard. the interception was a decent read, but required a throw Kyle hasn't had the experience to learn yet.

I hope for Johns sake we can accommodate him somehow by getting him a release so he can continue his football career somewhere he might find more success.

I want to reiterate, I am thankful for what John has done for this program, but his lack of physical talent and ability limits the Demon Deacon offense.

Goodluck with whatever comes your way Mr. Wofford!

Go Deacs

Ha. My guess is Wofford starts more games at QB next year for WFU than any other player.

Hell yeah!! You are a warrior

Which is the depressing part about Wake sports.

We care more about keeping someone happy then doing what it takes to win.

Love your gutsy play. Kudos to you John!!! Hope Coach Clawson gives all our qb's a shot...

I admire all the heart and competitive spirit of John Wolford through his years at Wake thus far, most notably the last 4 weeks playing with a separated shoulder. His will to fight through what most players see as a reason to rest puts him as one of my favorite competitors to put on a wake uniform.

That being said,

He does not have the physical tools to play quarterback at the level of competition we wish to reach as a program. He is too short to see over the o-line on a consistent basis which makes the lines job even more difficult, trying to open passing windows. If there is an opening to get the ball out, there is a 50/50 chance John has the arm strength to make the throw. He just is not cut out to take Wake to where we want to be.

To me it was obvious the arm talent difference once kearns got in the game. It was even more obvious he was not ready due to lack of reps with the 1st team.3 drops which occurred mostly because of throwing the ball too hard. the interception was a decent read, but required a throw Kyle hasn't had the experience to learn yet.

I hope for Johns sake we can accommodate him somehow by getting him a release so he can continue his football career somewhere he might find more success.

I want to reiterate, I am thankful for what John has done for this program, but his lack of physical talent and ability limits the Demon Deacon offense.

Go Deacs

All of this may be correct--probably not--but your timing is off with this post. John deserves more respect after the effort and results yesterday. This is next week's armchair analysis.

He played great after the first 2 series. At the end of the day, it is all about production.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That being said,

Go Deacs

Sheesh dude. Give it a rest. Everyone is aware of Wolford's limitations but to suggest he should transfer is crazy. At a minimum, he has demonstrated that he is a really good backup QB and he's as tough as nails.

That being said,

Go Deacs

Miserable fucking fanbase

Just remember that Clawson will play the QB who gives us the best chance to win.... period, any coach worth his salt would do that. I personally think he will choose Hinton but it will be ONLY because he thinks he can win with him and not as a slight to any other QB. Thank you John for being tougher than just about anyone on this board.

I was really worried when he bounced off the crown of his head.

Wolford is most likely our 2nd string QB next year. And a perfect second string to come in on injury.

That being said,

Go Deacs

This is a bizarre post at best. I guess if Wolford should transfer so he finds more success elsewhere - are we to assume that he will grow a few inches if he transfers or should he just transfer to The University of Short Offensive Linemen?

That kid is as tough as nails! Glad he is on our side. Thanks John for all you have done for the Deacs! You were a difference maker yesterday.

First Wake QB to ever throw for 1500 yards and run for 500 in a season. I bet if you polled the fanbase after he threw the pick and Temple scored on their first play about 90% thought we were in for a beat down (I fit squarely into that category) and about 40% would have benched Wolford. Instead Wake rattles off 31 straight to take a lead they'd never surrender - against the 3rd ranked defense in the country no less. First bowl win against a ranked team, beat a conference champion, got to 7 wins - and the program desperately needed this.

Tons of credit to Carney and Colburn for combining for 130+ and over 4 yards per carry on dozens of tough inside runs. Their effort kept Temple honest and gave Wolford a chance to play smart and pick his spots - finally having a healthy-ish Serigne obviously helped. It's easy to focus on the negatives and Wolford's limitations, but that combination paired with our defense was legitimately good this year when we weren't coping with injuries.

Congrats to Wolford, Clawson, the seniors, and the rest of the team. Gritty performance and a huge win for the program.

Back