• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Got another new bourbon (in my area) 1792 Ridgemont Reserve Barrel Select

For some reason the ABC stores around here are still questioning or researching whether they should carry Four Roses, so this was just another one I haven't tried.

Thoughts?

Got another new bourbon (in my area) 1792 Ridgemont Reserve Barrel Select

For some reason the ABC stores around here are still questioning or researching whether they should carry Four Roses, so this was just another one I haven't tried.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, it's just an average bourbon. Nothing wrong with it but it won't blow you away either. Fairly light tasting, not very complex, maybe a little rye spice on the back of the palate. A good price for it is around $20ish...if it's $25 or higher they are charging too much.

Went to the ABC store today...Wife wanted to buy me the Ridgemont but it was 30 bucks so I said "NO" based on Bear and Deacs comments. They were sold out of the 4 Roses which is on sale so I got some Elijah Craig small batch 12 year. Hope I made a good decision.

Went to the ABC store today...Wife wanted to buy me the Ridgemont but it was 30 bucks so I said "NO" based on Bear and Deacs comments. They were sold out of the 4 Roses which is on sale so I got some Elijah Craig small batch 12 year. Hope I made a good decision.

The Total Wine near my office in Alpharetta, GA currently has it for $22.99. The last time I bought a bottle was in 2011 and it was $19.00. $30 is definitely too high!

The Total Wine near my office in Alpharetta, GA currently has it for $22.99. The last time I bought a bottle was in 2011 and it was $19.00. $30 is definitely too high!

B&D, what are your thoughts on the Elijah Craig 21? I could pick up a bottle or two for $129/per to add to my selection, but I'm not sure if it is worth that price or not. Willing to weigh in?

B&D, what are your thoughts on the Elijah Craig 21? I could pick up a bottle or two for $129/per to add to my selection, but I'm not sure if it is worth that price or not. Willing to weigh in?

I've never had the chance to try it. It you have the money it would be worth taking a chance. I've never been a huge fan if the Elijah Craig series but I know some people that love it. I do think their older stuff (the discontinued 18yr) is better than the 12 year, so the 21 year is probably good also.

The one thing to watch out for with older bourbons is that sometimes the oak/wood flavor gets too strong...like chewing on a toothpick.

Yeah, I don't like the 12 year, but I loved the 18 when it was available. That said, I loved it at $40 a bottle. There's no way 3 more years is worth another $90, IMO, unless you just enjoy having expensive bourbon on your shelf.

Ordered a Manhattan this weekend (perfect, up), at a pretty nice restaurant and the guy shook the cocktail :rulz: As soon as that happened, I knew I'd be a shitty cocktail (it was).

Heard from a buddy who treated himself to a Pappy 23 for his birthday this weekend. He came away extremely underwhelmed. Said it was much drier and lighter than he had hoped/expected.

Heard from a buddy who treated himself to a Pappy 23 for his birthday this weekend. He came away extremely underwhelmed. Said it was much drier and lighter than he had hoped/expected.

Not surprised; the 20 year is much better IMHO.

A lot of people have the same reaction - it's a very dry bourbon which is expected after 23 years in the barrel. I think some air time really helps to soften the bourbon and tames some of the tannins. Your buddy did get to try bourbon from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery though. The 23 year is the only one that is still fully SW bourbon, I think.

The 15 year is my favorite, although it is now fully produced at Buffalo Trace. It was better when it was still a mingling of Stitzel-Weller, Bernheim, and Buffalo Trace stocks.

For the Charlotte folks...

I just ordered a bottle of the 15 year, based on Bear's recommendation. The 20 is my alternate choice. Haven't heard back to see whether I got my email in in time. I was busy and didn't get it until just now. I know the hype is big, but I figure I might as well find out for myself. In the end, even if it's too expensive, it's still good Bourbon that I'll enjoy drinking.

Pappy Van Winkle

Dear Mailing List Recipients –

The Mecklenburg County ABC Board has received our annual allocation of rare Pappy Van Winkle bourbons. We are giving first priority to these bottles to our mailing list members who have indicated their interests in bourbons. Please note that only individuals who have signed up for “Our Spirited Mailing List” by 8:30 am today will be able to reserve a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle before the remaining bottles are released in our stores.

We will take your order to purchase ONE bottle of one of these items per household. Specify the item you prefer and alternates, if you wish.

Your purchase must be picked up by Tuesday, November 5th (by 9 pm) or it will be placed on the shelf for sale. All bottles will be sent to our location at 125 Cherry Street for pick up (Store #4). You can find directions to this location available on our website at: www.meckabc.com, under the “Store Operations” tab. Click on “Store locations and hours.”

Here is what we have available:

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year old – retail price $250.25 plus tax – proof 95.6…we have 3 bottles

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 year old – retail price $129.25 plus tax – proof 90.4…we have 15 bottles

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 year old – retail price $80.25 plus tax – proof 107…we have 30 bottles

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old – retail price $55.25 plus tax – proof 90.4…we have 30 bottles

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old – retail price $40.25 plus tax – proof 107…we have 45 bottles

Please indicate which item you want to purchase by sending an email to: jhughes@meckabc.com

You will receive an email back if you are receiving one of these rare bottles. Orders will be taken on a first come, first serve basis, based on the time stamp of your email.

Please include your name and telephone number where you can be reached during the day.

Bottles will be allocated from e-mails received before 1 pm today. Due to the overwhelming volume, we will not be able to respond to emails received after 1 pm today. All remaining inventory will be shipped to our retail stores for sale.

Thank you for your business!

Jason Hughes

Operations Director

Mecklenburg County ABC Board

Last edited:
Just picked up some Col. Taylor Barrel Proof Uncut and Unfiltered. I have no idea what to expect from it. I will probably regret buying that instead of another bottle of the rye, but since I still have some rye in my cabinet I thought I would take a flyer on this. Will report back.

Opened up the Elijah Craig 12 year tonight. Not as smooth as I would like, I am sure the 18 year old is, but I enjoyed the caramal flavor I noticed on the finish of the 2nd and 3rd sips.

This eh Taylor barrel proof is good. Real good. Doesn't drink as hot as the proof would suggest, and is very full in terms of flavor and texture. Still think the rye is better, but not regretting this purchase at all.

This eh Taylor barrel proof is good. Real good. Doesn't drink as hot as the proof would suggest, and is very full in terms of flavor and texture. Still think the rye is better, but not regretting this purchase at all.

How would you rate it?

Rating Scale

95+ Classic
90-94 Outstanding
85-89 Very good to Excellent
80-84 Average to Good
75-79 Fair
70-74 Poor

Because of the high standards you keep, I will make some comparisons. I think I would put it in the high 80's The initial nose is very alcoholic, but mellows after 5+ mins. Once it mellows, you get rich chocolate and fruity notes. the body is thick, like the PHC 27 year, but in terms of flavor it is pretty comparable to the PHC cask strength, though I find it more full bodied and softer. It doesn't hit as hard as other 135+ proof whiskeys I've had. I was pleasantly surprised and would buy again... I really thought it was going to be a novelty that was more heat than substance. Might go back to the store tomorrow and buy the other two bottles they have.

Because of the high standards you keep, I will make some comparisons. I think I would put it in the high 80's The initial nose is very alcoholic, but mellows after 5+ mins. Once it mellows, you get rich chocolate and fruity notes. the body is thick, like the PHC 27 year, but in terms of flavor it is pretty comparable to the PHC cask strength, though I find it more full bodied and softer. It doesn't hit as hard as other 135+ proof whiskeys I've had. I was pleasantly surprised and would buy again... I really thought it was going to be a novelty that was more heat than substance. Might go back to the store tomorrow and buy the other two bottles they have.

Interesting comment about the nose. I find the same thing with the Taylor Tornado and a few minutes in the glass really changes it for me (for the better).

Back