• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

The EH Taylor line in general is interesting. I think Buffalo Trace is just taking things that are so off profile that they can't be used as another label or in a blend. They do them under the EH Taylor line and pretty much treat them as one-off selections.

Because of the high standards you keep, I will make some comparisons. I think I would put it in the high 80's The initial nose is very alcoholic, but mellows after 5+ mins. Once it mellows, you get rich chocolate and fruity notes. the body is thick, like the PHC 27 year, but in terms of flavor it is pretty comparable to the PHC cask strength, though I find it more full bodied and softer. It doesn't hit as hard as other 135+ proof whiskeys I've had. I was pleasantly surprised and would buy again... I really thought it was going to be a novelty that was more heat than substance. Might go back to the store tomorrow and buy the other two bottles they have.

This sounds a lot like the Old Grandad I am drinking from the flask in my living room.

A lot of people have the same reaction - it's a very dry bourbon which is expected after 23 years in the barrel. I think some air time really helps to soften the bourbon and tames some of the tannins. Your buddy did get to try bourbon from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery though. The 23 year is the only one that is still fully SW bourbon, I think.

The 15 year is my favorite, although it is now fully produced at Buffalo Trace. It was better when it was still a mingling of Stitzel-Weller, Bernheim, and Buffalo Trace stocks.

In your opinion is the 15 worth the investment? I have a chance to purchase some in the not too distant future, but I am on the fence. I normally shy away from "super-hyped have to have" types in the beer world because as I have had many (and they are almost always good), they are rarely ever worth the price. For example, Russian River produces great beer, but I'll be damned if it's worth the price they ask for some. They can only because any beer jerk off wants to look cool for having had it, or having it in their collection. I get the same vibe from Pappy. Is my instinct correct?

In your opinion is the 15 worth the investment? I have a chance to purchase some in the not too distant future, but I am on the fence. I normally shy away from "super-hyped have to have" types in the beer world because as I have had many (and they are almost always good), they are rarely ever worth the price. For example, Russian River produces great beer, but I'll be damned if it's worth the price they ask for some. They can only because any beer jerk off wants to look cool for having had it, or having it in their collection. I get the same vibe from Pappy. Is my instinct correct?

Your instinct is correct. The hype is ridiculous and they control the supply in order to drive up demand. With that said, if you have the chance to purchase PVW15 at normal retail price (around $75 to $80) I would buy as many as you can. If you can only buy one, I'd buy it, but don't open it (yet) and if you're ever in Atlanta you're welcome to stop by and drink all the Pappy you want. But if you spend time drinking Pappy you'll miss out on the good stuff...when Wfudkn came over the Van Winkle 12, Pappy 15, 20, and Rye didn't even get touched.

Your instinct is correct. The hype is ridiculous and they control the supply in order to drive up demand. With that said, if you have the chance to purchase PVW15 at normal retail price (around $75 to $80) I would buy as many as you can. If you can only buy one, I'd buy it, but don't open it (yet) and if you're ever in Atlanta you're welcome to stop by and drink all the Pappy you want. But if you spend time drinking Pappy you'll miss out on the good stuff...when Wfudkn came over the Van Winkle 12, Pappy 15, 20, and Rye didn't even get touched.

Thanks for the advice. I will have a chance to purchase one bottle at retail. I think I will pull the trigger on the 15, and will have to make some plans to visit Atlanta. I'm bummed I missed out on the BTAC Weller. I signed on and it was gone. I guess I can justify using that reserve cash for the van winkle.

Got the email yesterday that I had missed out on Charlotte's allotment of 15 year. It was $80. Oh well...that's two bottles of 4 Roses Single anyway.

There are year long waiting lists in LA

Wish I had an inside source to score a bottle or two though

There are year long waiting lists in LA

Wish I had an inside source to score a bottle or two though

Managed to score the last bottle in the store a couple years back, it was a PVW 20. I've got a little over half the bottle left and while I've greatly enjoyed it, I think I'm content not to chase after it again any time soon. But damn, is it good.

Went to the wine shop in the building next door and asked for a good mixing bourbon to make Manhattans tonight. Bought a bottle of Templeton Rye for 50$ (overpriced, but thats downtown Chi).

Turns out I have no ice. So I just poured a finger.

5 minutes in the glass, alot of alcohol on the nose, kinda harsh to the back of the nostril. Hot on the tongue, but got a few nice sweet flavors in there. Some vanilla and kind of grassy? Decent. Need ice tho, this one really begs to be mixed.

Unmixed - 84

If anyone has $80 burning a hole in your pocket, look for Four Roses 125th. Outstanding stuff. I've been unable to secure a bottle so far but have tried it. Very, very good.

Went to the wine shop in the building next door and asked for a good mixing bourbon to make Manhattans tonight. Bought a bottle of Templeton Rye for 50$ (overpriced, but thats downtown Chi).

Turns out I have no ice. So I just poured a finger.

5 minutes in the glass, alot of alcohol on the nose, kinda harsh to the back of the nostril. Hot on the tongue, but got a few nice sweet flavors in there. Some vanilla and kind of grassy? Decent. Need ice tho, this one really begs to be mixed.

Unmixed - 84

Update: Tonight I have ice. Mixed a Manhattan (stirred). So good. Really sweet and a lot of citrus flavor.

Mixed - 90

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel #8 is an amazing value for $21. So spicy.

Excellent whiskey.

picked up a bottle of parker heritage promise of hope last night

i like it, very tasty

maybe not worth the $ though

For years I thought "nothing will ever replace wine," and then I reluctantly discovered American Whisky

Back