• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whisky de Jesus, Dia 6: Chivas Regal 18 Year. Starting early today. This is a pretty well known blended scotch. I'd compare it most closely with JW Gold, though a lot seem to compare it to the Blue. I like it well enough. It is mildly sweet though not overly complex, and is also relatively bold (in the same way JW Black is) though still easy to drink. I think it would be a good choice for a good quality blended to have on hand, and at $50-60 it's not overly pricey. Not a show stopper by any means, but a decent Whisky.

Here are a few good questions (I think).. What is the best glass to drink your bourbon out of? What do you usually use? Can you tell a difference between glasses?

Here are a few good questions (I think).. What is the best glass to drink your bourbon out of? What do you usually use? Can you tell a difference between glasses?

If I'm doing tastings I typically use a Glencairn. If I'm just drinking I have several glasses that I use. Most of them do have a smaller opening to concentrate the nose, although not as much as a Glencairn does. One of my favorites is a small Zaya rum snifter that came in a gift set a couple of years ago...perfect for bourbon as well. I also have an assortment of other glasses like old fashioned glasses of various sizes, but typically only use those for cocktails.

The top picture is a Glencairn and the bottom one is the Zaya snifter.

5ahumyqa.jpg

a4y3e9un.jpg

Advent Whisky Day 7: Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon. This is one I am extremely familiar with. I think it's a good whiskey especially at the price (like $35 at my spot). It's a high rye LDI sourced whiskey, is sweet like caramel and spicy with notes of cinnamon and clove. Good heat at 99 proof. I personally prefer the Old Scout Rye to the Bourbon, but I still really like this one. I typically have a bottle of one of the two on hand (currently the rye).

Advent Whisky Day 7: Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon. This is one I am extremely familiar with. I think it's a good whiskey especially at the price (like $35 at my spot). It's a high rye LDI sourced whiskey, is sweet like caramel and spicy with notes of cinnamon and clove. Good heat at 99 proof. I personally prefer the Old Scout Rye to the Bourbon, but I still really like this one. I typically have a bottle of one of the two on hand (currently the rye).

Smooth Ambler is run by one of my college friends. Is it available in WS?

Ice Ice Baby Jesus Whisky Day 8: Blue Hanger 9th Release. This is a blended malt scotch. Good amount of peat with citrusy flavor very apparent, as well as some deep fruit (plum or dark cherry) and maybe vanilla. Not too hot at around 91 proof. This is pretty exceptional. Never heard of it before but I will have to do some research.

Looking for a bottle as a gift for someone. I think he usually drinks Maker's Mark so I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat similar to that. Really anywhere in the $40-$80 range works.

What up fellow bourbon enthusiasts. My love for Pete Lembo led me to being directed here. I'm also in my home commonwealth of Kentucky, so should you need some hard to find things, I know a guy. (It's me)

Looking for a bottle as a gift for someone. I think he usually drinks Maker's Mark so I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat similar to that. Really anywhere in the $40-$80 range works.

I have a Makers Mark collectible numbered edition of Dan Issel. It's not a drinking bottle, it's a sit around in your mancave kind of bottle. If you'd like to chat about it, shoot me a PM and we can. (It wouldn't be ebay douchebag prices. You WakeBros seem chill as hell)

THANK YA JESUS Whisky Day 9: Bowmore 15 Year Old Darkest. This one is interesting. Aged first in bourbon barrels and finished in sherry barrels. Nice amount of peat, but it seems like a deeper smoke than a lot of others. Very rich flavors like dark chocolate and toffee. Smooth and drinks easily. Not hot at only 86 proof. I'm enjoying this immensely right now sitting new to my fire.

Life is killing tvcigar today...drinking the Manhattans at home with a French Bulldog on my neck and another whining when i don't rub her. Made the first with Elijah Craig, this one with some gifted Woodford Reserve.

noooooooooooo I wanted to get a recommendation for a bourbon at the restaurant I'm going to tonight but I can't find the list on their website. I might go cocktail anyway, but I'll study up and if I see something interesting I'll report back.

Aha! Nevermind, I found it. Not the greatest, not the worst. I know which ones to avoid. Except maybe Devil's Cut, that's my JAM!

Baker's 7 Yr
Basil Hayden 8 Yr
Belle Meade
Blanton's
Booker's 7 Yr
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit
Bulleit 10 Yr
Colonel E. H. Taylor
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig 12 Yr
Filibuster Dual Cask
Four Roses Single Barrel
George Dickel Barrel Select
Hirsch
Jefferson Reserve
Jim Beam Devil's Cut
Johnny Drum Ky State
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark
Maker's Mark 46
Noah's Mill
Old Bardstown 101
Rock Hill
Rowan's Creek
Russell's 10 Yr
Willett
Woodford Reserve

COCKTAILS
Bluegrass Manhattan
Bulleit Bourbon, green mountain maple liqueur, blood orange bitters, luxardo cherries

White Whiskey Sour
Kentucky Black Dog Whiskey, house sour, red pepper flakes

Fall Cobbler
Collier & McKeel TN Whiskey, dancing pines chai liqueur, calvados, apple

International Velvet
Benromach speyside single malt scotch, velvet falernum, meyer lemon

Cappello Verde
Green hat gin, montenegro amaro, cardamom honey, lemon

Fizzy Fox
Green mt. Lemon vodka, concord grape-thyme syrup, bitters, prosecco

Depending on your price point, can't go wrong with the Bulleit 10 or the Four Roses Single for a mid-point. Upper notch would probably be your Booker's 7 or your Basil Hayden 8. If you're looking to go cheap, regular Bulleit or Knob Creek is about the best bang for the buck IMO

It's actually kinda hard to find Four Roses up here, so I'm probably just gonna go for that and probably try out one of the cocktails as well. We'll see though.

Yeah, Four Roses would probably be my pick too...or Buffalo Trace. Maybe the Taylor, depending on which version it is.

Last edited:
Buddy Christ Whisky Day 10: Grant's 25 year. This is a 25 year blended speyside Blended Scotch. Citrus on the front with some bitter fruit and a little sour on the finish. Just a small touch of smoke. I like it. Not amazing by any means but certainly good.

On that list I would go with Taylor's or Willet depending on what they have. Maybe Belle Mead which I think is decent. Four Roses is errywhere around me.

Back