• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Hey Bears... have you or any of your Bourbon buds had the Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon?

Hey Bears... have you or any of your Bourbon buds had the Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon?

Yeah some friends have...it seems that there might have been a bit of a bait and switch when it came to the samples that were sent to reviewers and the stuff that hit the shelf. I'll try to find a post on my forum where someone talks about it and I'll paste it here.

Here's what one guy had to say:

Guys: I appreciate the rarity and the backstory and all, but I really can't say enough about how "meh" this bourbon is. It's not bad, but it's not even as good as the "standard" Jefferson's at the dilution level it went out as (and if you want a hint of brine, you're better off with a single malt.)

This seemed to be the general consensus of the bourbon among my group. Taste is subjective though. A lot of it had to do with the price as well (it's just such a gimmick).

I think the bait and switch stuff had to do with the samples being sent out to reviewers at barrel proof (from what I heard) and then the product was bottled at 83 proof (or something like that). Obviously the taste is very different when you add that much water.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Saw it pop up from a Bourbon page on my Facebook feed and it was the first I'd heard of it. I like the outside of the box thinking.

Drunk Jesus Whisky Day 15: Dalmore 18 Year. Single malt scotch aged 14 years in oak and the last 4 in sherry casks. Lots of oak and vanilla on the nose. Almost no smoke. I get lots of deep fruit, likely from the sherry casks, and lots if dark chocolate. I think this is a very nice whisky.

The Four Roses Small Batch is ice tea with a little spicy kick, but easy to down.

Mecklenburg ABC has a few whiskey's available right now for the holidays. Are any of these 'can't misses' that I should run out and grab since they are available locally?

Stagg Jr. Bourbon
Stagg Jr. is “uncut and unfiltered” and has “rich, sweet, chocolate and brown sugar flavors mingled in perfect balance with the bold rye spiciness”. It is a mixture of bourbons aged 8 - 9 years.

Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Malt
Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Classic Malt is a triple distilled malt whiskey matured in used Woodford Reserve barrels for 7 years. It has a lighter flavor profile than the Straight Malt, with “hints of chocolate malt, honey, and lemon with soft warm and malty finish”.

Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Straight Malt
Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Straight Malt is a triple distilled malt whiskey matured in new charred barrels for 7 years. It has a “creamy balance of new cask sweetness and nutmeg spice with a rich, warm and buttery/vanilla finish”.

Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection 15 Year Old
Buffalo Trace experiments with recipes and barrel treatments so that each of the barrels has unique characteristics. Their latest release, the Experimental Collection 15 Year, is now available on a limited basis.

Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project
Single Oak Project has been described by Buffalo Trace Distillery as the “most extensive bourbon experiment ever undertaken”. From 96 individually selected American oak trees came 192 unique barrels all charred differently, filled with different recipe whiskeys and aged in a variety of warehouse styles so that none of the 192 bottles in the set are exactly alike.

Talisker Storm Single Malt Scotch

Talisker Storm is a single malt Scotch with a “smooth, but complex aroma with the just the right balance of sweet and smoky” is now available.

Last edited:
Jesus Shuttlesworth Whiskey Day 16: Balvinie 14 Year Caribbean Cask. This iteration of Balvinie is finished off in rum casks. There is some sweetness and a good malt flavor. A little molasses on the end which is nice. No peat. I like Balvinie in general and like this version. Not sure what it runs around here, but I'd pick some up if the price is right.

Jesus Shuttlesworth Whiskey Day 16: Balvinie 14 Year Caribbean Cask. This iteration of Balvinie is finished off in rum casks. There is some sweetness and a good malt flavor. A little molasses on the end which is nice. No peat. I like Balvinie in general and like this version. Not sure what it runs around here, but I'd pick some up if the price is right.

Did you throw a cube in that. I know some are fully opposed to such a measure, but for this pour it has a nice effect. If you throw a cube and let it open up, you will notice that sweetness even more so. My dad has most of their offerings for client schmoozing at his work. As a result we did a tasting last holiday, and this was my favorite.

Haven't had a pour of this in a while and closed a big deal today. Figured this was a good choice.

yja4erym.jpg

Last edited:
Asking for a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel & a bottle of Blantons for Christmas along with a couple of stem less snifters and a silicone ice ball maker. Still have some of the WT Rare Breed and Old Weller Antique along with some Makers Mark I bought a couple of weeks ago. Bourbon is growing on me...

Late Jesus Whiskey Day 17: Glenlivet 16 Year Nadurra (Batch 0712U). I liked this one a lot. Malty and lightly sweet. I also like that it is higher proof at 111proof. I would definitely drink again.

Got a bottle of JD Single Barrel today as an early Christmas present. Came with two nice glasses.

Back