• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Had a little Breckenridge yesterday. Tasty stuff, not too expensive.

Finished off the WT Rare Breed Saturday night. I definitely have noticed adding a little water opens the flavors up more for me. Seems to make it taste a little sweeter up front. Will probably finish off the Makers Mark and Old Weller Antique on Christmas and open up the JD Single Barrel that evening. Hoping to get some Blantons and Four Roses as gifts.

So I'm home for the holidays. My parents are doing some remodeling work and found these bottles of Canadian Whisky that were my grandfather's 40-50 years ago. Any idea what this stuff might be worth/if it's any good? There's also a couple of similarly aged bottles of Bacardi and Seagram's, although they've been opened and the tax stamps don't indicate their exact ages.

55mnat.jpg

So I've been pretty delinquent the past week or so, but I am getting all caught up tonight (which will be super fun).

So Christ I Need A Drink Whisky Day 18: Yellow Spot 12 Year. YAY, an Irish whiskey! This is a 12 year with two components. Part of the batch was aged 12 years in bourbon barrels and part was aged 12 years in Malaga (sweet sherry-like spanish wine) barrels. Pot stilled and bottled at 92 proof. I really like this a lot and hope I can find it. It's thick and sweet, but also a little medicinal (which I like). Nice burn. Highly recommend picking up a bottle if you like Irish and can find it.

Jesus I Need Another Drink Whisky Day 19: Auchentoshan Three Wood. This is a scotch finished in Oloroso sherry barrels. The sherry is very evident. Deep raisin flavors. Very smooth. Very unique. I like it, but don't know how much I could drink a one time.

Jesus I love Whiskey Day 20: Johnnie Walker Platinum. This is the 18 year iteration of JW. Dried fruits, very smooth, hint of peat. It's pretty good. Way better than black and way less expensive and probably just as good as blue.

So I've been pretty delinquent the past week or so, but I am getting all caught up tonight (which will be super fun).

So Christ I Need A Drink Whisky Day 18: Yellow Spot 12 Year. YAY, an Irish whiskey! This is a 12 year with two components. Part of the batch was aged 12 years in bourbon barrels and part was aged 12 years in Malaga (sweet sherry-like spanish wine) barrels. Pot stilled and bottled at 92 proof. I really like this a lot and hope I can find it. It's thick and sweet, but also a little medicinal (which I like). Nice burn. Highly recommend picking up a bottle if you like Irish and can find it.

Yellow Spot (and Green Spot) are both great. Wish they were sold over here!

Jesus I'm Gonna Get Drunk Tonight Whisky Day 21: Scapa 16 year. This is a scotch I've never had before. Honey, malt, a little salty maybe. Pretty light and easy drinking. It not my favorite and I don't think it's particularly interesting, but I like it.

Jebus Whisky Day 22: Glenfiddich 15 year Distillery Edition. Very strong flavors of citrus and oak. Some peat but not too much. Pretty good scotch, but don't know that I would scour the earth trying to find it.

Jesus Whiskey Day 23: Yamazaki 12 year. Had this a number of times and like it. Light with notes of honey, raisin and figs. I definitely thinks it's worth a try if you haven't had it.

Jesus Whiskey Day 23: Yamazaki 12 year. Had this a number of times and like it. Light with notes of honey, raisin and figs. I definitely thinks it's worth a try if you haven't had it.

Yamazaki 12 is a good one. I haven't had too much Japanese whisky but I like Hibiki and Hakushu quite a bit also (from what I remember).

Last edited:
So I'm home for the holidays. My parents are doing some remodeling work and found these bottles of Canadian Whisky that were my grandfather's 40-50 years ago. Any idea what this stuff might be worth/if it's any good? There's also a couple of similarly aged bottles of Bacardi and Seagram's, although they've been opened and the tax stamps don't indicate their exact ages.

Age in the bottle doesn't contribute to anything, so enjoy them like you were having a drink with your grandfather. The value is sentimental.

Posted in the Xmas loot thread, but I received a Elijah Craig 21, Pappy 15 and Breckenridge Distillery Small Batch for Xmas. I've had the EC21 and the PVW15 before. The Breckenridge is new to me.

Back