• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Ha. After having the Breckenridge at One Eared Stag in Atlanta on a recommendation (and loving it), just so happens my folks had already sent us a bottle (randomly).

Really liking this bourbon. Absolutely delicious.

I got some Four Roses single barrel and Knob Creek, silicone molds for ice balls and some whiskey glasses.

My brother got me whiskey stones as part of my gift. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I have them.

Ha. After having the Breckenridge at One Eared Stag in Atlanta on a recommendation (and loving it), just so happens my folks had already sent us a bottle (randomly).

Really liking this bourbon. Absolutely delicious.

Really damn good bourbon. Just bought a bottle and I'm in love.

I got a bottle of Michters Straight Rye whiskey for Christmas. Never had or heard of. Anybody know anything about it? I plan to crack it tonight.

It's bottled by KBD so it's sourced whiskey, although we don't know who actually distilled it. Most of the Willett ryes that KBD bottles are distilled by LDI (same as Bulleit rye, Templeton, and others) so that would be a possible source for this whiskey.

I've read some decent reviews. Give a try and post your thoughts!

Christmas present from one of my buddies, Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve.

YmcZxbt.jpg

What is the preferred recipe for an Old Fashioned around here. IE: type of bourbon, bitters, etc? Planning on crafting some up for NYE tomorrow night.

What is the preferred recipe for an Old Fashioned around here. IE: type of bourbon, bitters, etc? Planning on crafting some up for NYE tomorrow night.

I prefer a simple Old Fashioned (i.e. not much fruit). I'll use one sugar cube and add a few shakes of bitters (the three I keep on hand are Angostura, Peychaud's, and Fee Bros Orange but there are many other options). I add a teaspoon of water and muddle until the sugar is dissolved. Then I add a large chunk of ice, a couple of ounces of bourbon (something like Evan Williams BIB or Rittenhouse Rye BIB), and express the oils from an orange peel before adding it as a garnish. As I said, I don't like too much fruit because I like tasting the bourbon. Sometimes I'll light a lighter or match and hold it over the drink before I express the orange peel. The oils are flammable and it's kind of a cool flourish if people are watching.

I prefer a simple Old Fashioned (i.e. not much fruit). I'll use one sugar cube and add a few shakes of bitters (the three I keep on hand are Angostura, Peychaud's, and Fee Bros Orange but there are many other options). I add a teaspoon of water and muddle until the sugar is dissolved. Then I add a large chunk of ice, a couple of ounces of bourbon (something like Evan Williams BIB or Rittenhouse Rye BIB), and express the oils from an orange peel before adding it as a garnish. As I said, I don't like too much fruit because I like tasting the bourbon. Sometimes I'll light a lighter or match and hold it over the drink before I express the orange peel. The oils are flammable and it's kind of a cool flourish if people are watching.

What he said, but I use 1/4-1/2 teaspoon or so of some sort of raw sugar over a sugar cube because that's what we generally have in the house. If I'm really thinking ahead, I'll make my own simple syrup (sometimes infused with a bit of orange peel)...makes the mixing much easier since you don't have to wait for the sugar to dissolve. You can make your own bitters too, but you probably don't have enough time for that between now and NYE (typically takes 2-4 weeks).

Last edited:
Best Old Fashioned I ever had was from Drink in Boston. Pretty much the same recipe as above.

If you order an Old Fashioned and they start crushing up a bunch of fruit in the bottom of the glass, change your order immediately...

Best Old Fashioned I ever had was from Drink in Boston. Pretty much the same recipe as above.

If you order an Old Fashioned and they start crushing up a bunch of fruit in the bottom of the glass, change your order immediately...

Ordered an Old Fashioned one time and saw the bartender grab a big orange slice, 3 maraschino cherries, mull them all together and then pour in Johnny Walker Black. Somewhat intrigued by something I'd never seen, I asked him what it was as he was making, and he said it was my Old Fashioned...at which point I asked if I could just have a beer. I know that "technically" an Old Fashioned can be made from any liqour (I like to make Gin Old Fashioneds in the summer), but unless you specify, Rye or Bourbon is pretty much assumed. I did have a taste of the concontion he made...can't say that peet, orange and cherries really meld very well.

Just tried this way, usually do the orange inside the glass, and it's much better. I couldn't get the lighter trick to work though. Thanks B&D

I ended up purchasing a bottle of the Henry McKenna 10 year BIB to craft my Old Fashioned with. Seemed like a good fit for the situation. Anybody have any experience with it?

Back