• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I ended up purchasing a bottle of the Henry McKenna 10 year BIB to craft my Old Fashioned with. Seemed like a good fit for the situation. Anybody have any experience with it?

If it was around $22ish then that's not bad - it's decent for what it is IMO, although some people on here do not care for it. I like the two that I suggested because they are cheap but still have good flavor. Rittenhouse BIB is a rye but drinks more like a bourbon and is one of the must have ryes for a home bar. It can be found for under $20 so no reason to not buy a couple bottles!

Last edited:
xs7q.jpg

At 130 proof this is definitely the strongest Manhattan I've ever had.

If it was around $22ish then that's not bad - it's decent for what it is IMO, although some people on here do not care for it. I like the two that I suggested because they are cheap but still have good flavor. Rittenhouse BIB is a rye but drinks more like a bourbon and is one of the must have ryes for a home bar. It can be found for under $20 so no reason to not buy a couple bottles!

Think I paid about $25 for it. It made a tasty drink, but yea...the Evan Williams BIB was under $20 I remember, so probably should have went that route. I didn't see the RH Rye, but could have just overlooked it. I'll definitely pick one up for the home inventory at that price. Thx.

Best Old Fashioned I ever had was from Drink in Boston. Pretty much the same recipe as above.

If you order an Old Fashioned and they start crushing up a bunch of fruit in the bottom of the glass, change your order immediately...

How was drink? Seems to be a very polarizing place...reviewers either absolutely love or hate it. Seems kind of like a poor man's version of Columbia Room which I loved when I was in DC. Trying to decide if Drink is worth a trip.

Finished off a bottle of Blanton's last night; good stuff. Think I'll open up the Johnny Drum next.

I prefer the Single Barrel but others on here prefer the Small Batch. Four Roses has 10 different recipes, consisting of either the high rye recipe or lower rye recipe and one of five yeast strains.

Single Barrel is the OBSV recipe and is 100 proof.

Small Batch is a blend of OBSO, OBSK, OESK, and OESO and is 90 proof.

Circling back to this, got the single barrel today for 40 at Corridor. So smooth, so good. Definitely worth the extra price for me at least

How was drink? Seems to be a very polarizing place...reviewers either absolutely love or hate it. Seems kind of like a poor man's version of Columbia Room which I loved when I was in DC. Trying to decide if Drink is worth a trip.

I've been to the Columbia Room a few times now - definitely a big step up from Drink. It's quiet, small, deliberate, and all about the drinks. Despite it's name, Drink was crowded, loud, and a couple things we had were a bit rushed. Like many cocktail spots, there's a fine line between being high quality and being pretentious - I can see how Drink could come off as pretentious and over-hyped, particularly in Boston. I'd equate the experience to the Gibson in DC. Can be great at times, but not at the level of PX, Columbia Room, or even Room 11 right now.

We went a while back so not sure what it's like now, but I'd assume Drink is still worth a weekday visit when it's not so crazy.

Does anyone know of a means to sell, buy, and/or trade fine bourbon or congac? I have a 19th century unopened congac in a crystal decanter that I have no use for, but I feel bad letting it go to waste in the cellar. Any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone know of a means to sell, buy, and/or trade fine bourbon or congac? I have a 19th century unopened congac in a crystal decanter that I have no use for, but I feel bad letting it go to waste in the cellar. Any input would be appreciated.

Not easily. Ebay used to turn a blind eye towards the sale of alcohol but they really cracked down on it over the past year or so. Technically, it's illegal to sell liquor without a license so that's why they put a stop to it. The best way would be to find a bourbon or cognac enthusiast site online and let them know what you have (without blatantly saying that you're looking to sell it). You might be able to find someone interested that way.

Not easily. Ebay used to turn a blind eye towards the sale of alcohol but they really cracked down on it over the past year or so. Technically, it's illegal to sell liquor without a license so that's why they put a stop to it. The best way would be to find a bourbon or cognac enthusiast site online and let them know what you have (without blatantly saying that you're looking to sell it). You might be able to find someone interested that way.

Thanks. Yeah its definitely been a challenge. I was able to get Cognac Expert to post a blog entry on it, but so far only low ball offers (and I mean 15% market value) from sketchy people have popped up. I'm even asking a reasonable 50% of the current wholesale online price, which I think is fair. Maybe that's not how it works for spirits though...

Oh well, but if anyone wants to buy it let me know! Leopold Gourmel Quintessence in a Crystal Decanter. Will let it go very cheap.. Just don't have any use for it.

Ok, need a pit bourbon recommendation. Going away next weekend for computer baseball playoffs/draft...and I want to make Manhattans. What is the best under 25 dollar bottle for me to bring? Thanks in advance

tvcigar

Ok, need a pit bourbon recommendation. Going away next weekend for computer baseball playoffs/draft...and I want to make Manhattans. What is the best under 25 dollar bottle for me to bring? Thanks in advance

tvcigar

My picks:
Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Old Grand Dad 114
Evan Williams BIB
Very Old Barton BIB (very limited distribution)

Other options:
Old Grand Dad BIB
Old Forester Signature
Lower Shelf Mixers like Four Roses Yellow Label, etc.

I like Redemption Rye for Manhattans. I usually have a bottle in the house solely for that purpose. It's around $25.

Thanks guys...will write those down and head to the ABC store this weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing any of those in the Forsyth County ABC stores I've been to over the holidays. We don't have any of them in Mecklenburg either. NC ABC blows.

Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing any of those in the Forsyth County ABC stores I've been to over the holidays. We don't have any of them in Mecklenburg either. NC ABC blows.

Cross the border into SC. IMHO, our liquor stores are pretty decent.

Back