• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Just got home from a very long happy hour and wanted another drink. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit from 2002 in the glass. Anyone else drinking bourbon tonight?

buzytega.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The merger creates an interesting portfolio, aside from Maker's and Beam. Between them they have five Scotch distilleries (Laphroaig, Ardmore, Bowmore, Glen Garioch and Auchtentoshan), one Irish (Cooley), two Japanese (Yamazaki & Hakushu) and Canadian Club. They also have two well regarded blended whiskeys - Hibiki and Teacher's, plus Beam has significant non-whiskey holdings (Courvosier, Sauza, Cruzan, etc.) and Suntory is big in Japanese beer. (Thanks to my buddy Sku for this info.)

Just got home from a very long happy hour and wanted another drink. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit from 2002 in the glass. Anyone else drinking bourbon tonight?

buzytega.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Must have been a great Happy Hour considering you are laying on the floor to take this photo. Are you sure you needed another drink?

The merger creates an interesting portfolio, aside from Maker's and Beam. Between them they have five Scotch distilleries (Laphroaig, Ardmore, Bowmore, Glen Garioch and Auchtentoshan), one Irish (Cooley), two Japanese (Yamazaki & Hakushu) and Canadian Club. They also have two well regarded blended whiskeys - Hibiki and Teacher's, plus Beam has significant non-whiskey holdings (Courvosier, Sauza, Cruzan, etc.) and Suntory is big in Japanese beer. (Thanks to my buddy Sku for this info.)

Bears - what's the expected impact to the Beam/Maker's products? Increased distribution in Asian Markets? What about changes to the domestic market?

Bears - what's the expected impact to the Beam/Maker's products? Increased distribution in Asian Markets? What about changes to the domestic market?

I really have no idea. Hopefully it will mean more Japanese whiskey over here in the US and possibly better whiskey from Beam (it just has a funk taste to me that I don't really like). I just hope my favorite Beam product (OGD114) remains untouched and they continue to produce it just like it is today!

Manhattan with four roses single barrel, dolin vermouth and Fee Brothers Aztec chocolate bitters tonight. On the rocks. Was the shit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Absolutely none of the recommendations were at the High Point ABC store...so I settled for the Four Roses that they did have. At least it was on sale. I'm hoping we hit the Navy liquor store at Oceana NAS at the beach and they will have a better selection.

Absolutely none of the recommendations were at the High Point ABC store...so I settled for the Four Roses that they did have. At least it was on sale. I'm hoping we hit the Navy liquor store at Oceana NAS at the beach and they will have a better selection.

My experience with bases is that they have good prices but limited selection. Probably depends on the base though and the number of officers vs enlisted. For a Manhattan, you really want a Rye over a Bourbon IMO. If you have limited options, you can almost always find Bulleit Rye (green label), which will make a solid Manhattan or Old Fashioned, especially if you're not with whiskey snobs. I say save the Four Roses for sipping and grab a bottle of Bulleit Rye for mixing from the Class VI on base.

Hell, Bulleit Rye is a favorite for Manhattans even among snobs. Using rare spirits in mixed drinks is probably more frowned upon.

Hell, Bulleit Rye is a favorite for Manhattans even among snobs. Using rare spirits in mixed drinks is probably more frowned upon.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using a rare spirit for a mixed drink outside of something special at a really nice bar, but I've definitely seen Bulleit frowned on just because it's basically the "Jack Daniels" of Rye from a popularity standpoint. Every bar and every liquor store has it. You don't have to the in the "club" to know Bulleit like you have to be to know about the other good/affordable mixing Ryes out there.

While we're talking Rye, without going to SC, here's what I have access to down the street at the ABC store. I generally just grab a bottle of Bulleit. Is there anything else I should be trying, especially if it's a bit cheaper?

SKUBrandTypeDescriptionSizePrice Per BottleOn Hand
22362Diageo NARye WhiskeyBulleit Rye.75L$30.95View Locations
22382Campari AmericaRye WhiskeyWild Turkey Rye.75L$23.95View Locations
22385Castle BrandsRye WhiskeyJefferson's Rye.75L$39.95View Locations
22389Jim Beam BrandsRye WhiskeyJim Beam Rye.75L$19.95View Locations
22393Campari AmericaRye WhiskeyRussell's Reserve Rye.75L$38.95View Locations
22395Strong Spirits Inc.Rye WhiskeyRedemption Rye.75L$25.95View Locations
22408Jim Beam BrandsRye WhiskeyKnob Creek Rye.75L$39.95View Locations
22420Diageo NARye WhiskeyGeorge Dickel Rye.75L$24.95View Locations
22424Wilson DanielsRye WhiskeyTempleton.75L$39.95View Locations
22448Cooper SpiritsRye WhiskeyHochstadter's Slow and Low.75L$19.95View Locations

I typically use redemption rye in my manhattans at home. I like templeton a lot in terms of taste, but I wish it were higher proof. I really like the Jefferson's rye, and that's a few bucks cheaper than I can get here.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using a rare spirit for a mixed drink outside of something special at a really nice bar, but I've definitely seen Bulleit frowned on just because it's basically the "Jack Daniels" of Rye from a popularity standpoint. Every bar and every liquor store has it. You don't have to the in the "club" to know Bulleit like you have to be to know about the other good/affordable mixing Ryes out there.

While we're talking Rye, without going to SC, here's what I have access to down the street at the ABC store. I generally just grab a bottle of Bulleit. Is there anything else I should be trying, especially if it's a bit cheaper?

SKUBrandTypeDescriptionSizePrice Per BottleOn Hand
22362Diageo NARye WhiskeyBulleit Rye.75L$30.95View Locations
22382Campari AmericaRye WhiskeyWild Turkey Rye.75L$23.95View Locations
22385Castle BrandsRye WhiskeyJefferson's Rye.75L$39.95View Locations
22389Jim Beam BrandsRye WhiskeyJim Beam Rye.75L$19.95View Locations
22393Campari AmericaRye WhiskeyRussell's Reserve Rye.75L$38.95View Locations
22395Strong Spirits Inc.Rye WhiskeyRedemption Rye.75L$25.95View Locations
22408Jim Beam BrandsRye WhiskeyKnob Creek Rye.75L$39.95View Locations
22420Diageo NARye WhiskeyGeorge Dickel Rye.75L$24.95View Locations
22424Wilson DanielsRye WhiskeyTempleton.75L$39.95View Locations
22448Cooper SpiritsRye WhiskeyHochstadter's Slow and Low.75L$19.95View Locations

I typically use redemption rye in my manhattans at home. I like templeton a lot in terms of taste, but I wish it were higher proof. I really like the Jefferson's rye, and that's a few bucks cheaper than I can get here.

Bulleit Rye and Redemption Rye are both 95% rye whiskies sourced from LDI (as are many other rye offerings like Dickel Rye, Templeton, High West, and younger Willetts). The main difference is that Bulleit Rye is aged for over four years while Redemption is a little over two (Bulleit is also 45% while Redemption is 46%). Both should work very well as a mixer.

Last edited:
Back