• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Not wasting the expensive stuff on this game anymore. On to the free stuff: Old Pogue, which while pretty good, was a gift from my bro, so I'm not spending my hard earned money.

4 roses. I prefer to concentrate more on the bourbon than the game.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Finishing off a bottle of Old Weller Antique tonight. Absolutely love this stuff.

Anyone ever heard of a Moscow Moose? This is from the Wall St Journal

THE FIRST WEEKS of January are startlingly drab. The echoes of the holidays ring faintly in the mind's ear, then fade to silence. The warmth of all the holiday parties has cooled to sober thoughts of taxes and resolutions. Suddenly, we're all aware that the long, dark winter is only just beginning. In northeastern New England, where I live, January means straight-ahead cold and ice till mud-and-horsefly season in early May. The lake is frozen solid. The mountains are white and bare. The mornings are so quiet, the only sound is the tinkling of icicles in the frigid wind. And inside, it's all work, budgets and to-do lists. Reality has set in.
The other night, to distract myself from the onset of real winter, I browned tender cubes of beef, added garlic, onions and plenty of sturdy winter roots and tubers: carrots, turnips, parsnips, potatoes. While the stew simmered away on the stove, giving off its meaty aroma, I wanted a bit of a pick-me-up, a midwinter cocktail with a spicy kick, to perk up the doldrums and take the edge off the quiet.
A Moscow Mule, that bracing concoction of vodka, ginger beer and lime, was tempting, but I'm not fond of vodka's astringent chill in winter. I prefer the mellow, amber depth of rye: not too sweet, but warming to the chest and heart.
I mixed a rye-and-ginger on the rocks, a classic underdog of a cocktail that has no name or real identity. I always use ginger beer instead of ale; it's spicier and not as sweet. I tasted my drink and craved a little more substance. On a hunch, I added a small splash of Amaretto and a squeeze of lemon, and the result was glorious. The Amaretto brought just the right amount of suave, nutty sweetness, and the lemon, swapped in for the Moscow Mule's lime, imbued the drink with a crisp, clear finish. It just felt right to name this new cocktail after the town of Moscow, Maine, and our stoic state animal.

[h=6]The Moscow Moose[/h]Pour 2 ounces rye over ice in a rocks glass. Add 1 teaspoon Amaretto and ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Top with ginger beer and stir well to combine. Garnish with lemon twist.

I pulled that out of the paper and plan to give it a shot this weekend. Made my first manhattans this weekend, using both the dickel rye and templeton. need to keep experimenting there a bit.

I pulled that out of the paper and plan to give it a shot this weekend. Made my first manhattans this weekend, using both the dickel rye and templeton. need to keep experimenting there a bit.

I continue to experiment with Rye all the time. Its amazing how much better it is than wheaters in mixed drinks (at least as far as Manhattens, old fashions, rye-ginger, etc.).

[h=6]The Moscow Moose[/h]Pour 2 ounces rye over ice in a rocks glass. Add 1 teaspoon Amaretto and ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Top with ginger beer and stir well to combine. Garnish with lemon twist.

will be trying tomorrow evening

Drinking some Angels Envy rye tonight. Have had the bourbon a bunch, but never this rye. It's aged in rum barrels. It is pretty fucking good.

Switched to another new bottle. Mastersons 10 year rye. It's really interesting and peppery and smooth. I'm digging it.

Joining wfudkn in rye night. Going with a pour of baby Saz.

a7e7y8u2.jpg

I like that bottle a lot. I never see it around here. Never. Makes a killer manhattan too.

Had a pour of the big boy Saz the other day and it was great as usual. And my buddy found a place in PDX last week that had all of them for $14 a pour. I was seriously jealous.

I like that bottle a lot. I never see it around here. Never. Makes a killer manhattan too.

Had a pour of the big boy Saz the other day and it was great as usual. And my buddy found a place in PDX last week that had all of them for $14 a pour. I was seriously jealous.

Very nice. Saz 18 is the only BTAC offering that I've never bought. A few years ago I passed on a couple of bottles because they are expensive for a 90 pf bourbon, even though they are 18 years old, and I was going through a "barrel proof only" phase. I regret that decision.

I understand the barrel proof bias, but yeah, that would have been a good purchase.

Just curious, but what is the average profit on a bottle of bourbon or heck any spirit for that matter? Does it vary widely from say a Total Wine vs an ABC/Red Dot store?

Wife gave me some spherical ice molds for Christmas which I love. Was listening to Alton Brown's podcast and he interviewed the owner of PolyScience, makers of the Smoking Gun, among others. The guy said he smokes ice for bourbon. So I took out my Smoking Gun tonight and did the same. Love the notes it added.

Wife gave me some spherical ice molds for Christmas which I love. Was listening to Alton Brown's podcast and he interviewed the owner of PolyScience, makers of the Smoking Gun, among others. The guy said he smokes ice for bourbon. So I took out my Smoking Gun tonight and did the same. Love the notes it added.

wtf just buy scotch?

Back