• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Going to a tasting here in High Point next week put on by Willett - Johnny Drum Private Stock, Rowan's Creek, Willett Pot Still Reserve and Noah's Mill. I've never tried any of them.

We need to keep this thread near the top. I'm having some Larceny tonight for the first time. I think it's a pretty solid wheater - very smooth but has some spiciness too.

on a little getaway weekend and got a bottle of some locally distilled bourbon here in cali:

Cutler33Brbn-9004.jpg

Received a bottle of High West "Son of Bourye" Blended Whiskey this weekend for my birthday, along with some small batch tonic, grenadine, and two types of bittermilk (including Smoked Honey Whiskey Sour) to play with.

Been on a wheater kick tonight. Going with an 18yr Willett to stay warm as #snowmageddon2 heads toward Atlanta. This might be the best bourbon that I have. Drinking it neat and it doesn't drink anywhere near its proof. Truly outstanding bourbon.

eqyva4ar.jpg

Last edited:
Trying larceny for the first time. Very smooth, perhaps a bit too sweet. Good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any of you guys hear much about these Orphan whiskeys?

http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/201...ng-company-bourbons-old-blowhard-barterhouse/

they're releasing a bunch of bourbon found in the old Stitzel-Weller distillery

This is a key point. Nothing that I have seen says "distilled at S-W," only that it was "discovered" at S-W. Even though the distillery portion shut down in 1992, the warehouses have been used to age and store whiskey by the owners for years (now owned by Diageo). Also, just because it is from S-W that doesn't mean it's some magical bourbon. Plenty of crap was produced there as well...and I've tried a good bit of it. While there were some great lines from S-W (like the Weller line and Old Fitzgerald), some of it was unremarkable bourbon and borderline bad. I think that Diageo is just using the Stitzel-Weller name here to move bourbon...and it will probably work.

Of course there always is the chance that this is S-W distillate, but I would doubt it unless they flat out say that it was distilled at DSP-KY-16.

Last edited:
Picked up some "orange" bitters the other day. Throw a curve ball at some of my cocktails.

I like the blood orange bitters from stirrings. I use them to make a lazy man's manhattan, i.e. I just throw the rye, bitters, and vermouth on ice and stir as opposed to scientifically mixing, shaking, pouring, and sprinkling with Angostura.

Back