• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Hate seeing this thread fall off the front page. Tonight's a good night - Rowan's Creek followed up by Sazerac rye. Two of my current favorites.

If it was a weekend, OWA would be my next pour but unfortunately I have to go to stupid work tomorrow.

Heavy pours of Elmer T. Lee tonight; good, but not great. Trying to polish it off in so I can get something else to replace it.

The Good Bourbon Apocalypse is coming! Americans are drinking good whiskey faster than it can be produced.

See, whiskey--good whiskey--is kind of like the ultimate slow food. It takes years to produce the aged stuff, and even though whiskey distillers are generally pretty good about being able to see into the future and match supply to demand, what none of them saw coming 10 years ago when today's aged whiskey was first being put to bed was the massive spike in whiskey drinking occurring today. As just one example, the folks at Buffalo Trace note that while bourbon overall is seeing a 5% growth rate (a nice, manageable number with current stock levels), the thirst for premium brands (of which Buffalo Trace is but one) is up something on the order of 20%. Which would've been great if, 10 years ago, someone had gone around to all the whiskey producers and told them that they really ought to up their production and storage by 20% to compensate.

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/05/13/stuff-freak-yes-really-whiskey-shortage/

Looking at possibly doing a bourbon tour for my brothers bachelor party (obviously with lots of debotchery thrown in). Anyone have any suggestions of if this is even an option for a weekend trip if we are driving from Winston?

Looking at possibly doing a bourbon tour for my brothers bachelor party (obviously with lots of debotchery thrown in). Anyone have any suggestions of if this is even an option for a weekend trip if we are driving from Winston?

Assume you would head to Lexington, KY? It is about a 6 hour drive from WS. Once there, there are several distilleries within a short drive. Woodford is just outside of town, and I think Buffalo Trace is close. Probably plenty of venues in which to get in trouble since UK is there.

Assume you would head to Lexington, KY? It is about a 6 hour drive from WS. Once there, there are several distilleries within a short drive. Woodford is just outside of town, and I think Buffalo Trace is close. Probably plenty of venues in which to get in trouble since UK is there.

Yea was going to do Lexington or Louisville, not entirely sure yet. Factoring in golf as well. Both look like there are plenty of options for tours.

Went to a Bourbon tasting event last night put on by Willett Distillery. Sampled their Pot Still Reserve, Rowan's Creek, Johnny Drum Private Stock and Noah's Mill. Noah's Mill was my favorite - extremely smooth, you'd never know it is 114.3 proof. Very interesting story about the history of the distillery too, which is going through a bit of a revival apparently.

We stayed in Lexington for my bachelor's party on the bourbon trail. Its a few pages back, but search for my post in this thread for the recap I did of mine.

Anyone know of a store in the 336 that sells Weller 12 year? I'm heading down to the coast this weekend and that is what my uncle requested for using his beach house, apparently he can't find it in Raleigh or down at the coast either.

I'm in the Charlotte area and have checked with a few SC liquor stores just across the border and they said they don't get sent any Weller 12. Very disappointing as that is one on my list to hopefully try at some point. I haven't seen it in the handful of Charlotte ABC stores near me either, but I rarely go to those with SC so close.

So if anyone has a source in Charlotte too, please post that too.

heading through Kentucky in a week and a half. Going to stop at Buffalo Trace Distillery and do a tour on the way home. Does anyone know if you can find limited edition / hard to find bottles in the gift shop there, or is simply their top brands that you could find in a decent NC ABC store? I saw a picture on their FB page of a corner of the gift shop and it was definitely just the run of the mill stuff but could not tell if the photo represented the whole selection. In the comments someone said that the gift shop does not carry the elite bottles as they have to purchase them from a distributor?

So, if the on-site selection sucks, are there any recommendations for a good liquor store in Frankfort or Lexington that will carry the good stuff we don't ever see in NC?

Found my answer on line, they only sell 5 main brands in gift shop. Disappointing. So, any liquor store recommendations near there?

heading through Kentucky in a week and a half. Going to stop at Buffalo Trace Distillery and do a tour on the way home. Does anyone know if you can find limited edition / hard to find bottles in the gift shop there, or is simply their top brands that you could find in a decent NC ABC store? I saw a picture on their FB page of a corner of the gift shop and it was definitely just the run of the mill stuff but could not tell if the photo represented the whole selection. In the comments someone said that the gift shop does not carry the elite bottles as they have to purchase them from a distributor?

So, if the on-site selection sucks, are there any recommendations for a good liquor store in Frankfort or Lexington that will carry the good stuff we don't ever see in NC?

They won't carry the special edition stuff like the BTAC products (Stagg, William Larue Weller, Eagle Rare 17, etc)...there's too little of that stuff as it is so it all goes through distribution. With that said, you might be able to find other stuff that isn't available in NC.

Any liquor store in Frankfort/Lexington would probably carry stuff like Very Old Barton BIB or Heaven Hill BIB....both are considered among the best of the bargain selections. Also look for Ancient Ancient Age 10yr while up there in Kentucky. I don't think any of those are available in NC.

I don't know if Weller stuff is available in NC...if not, look for Weller Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique, and Weller 12....all are Buffalo Trace products.

Back