• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

If you go through Florence, SC you might find some at Micky Finn's. I pulled some Pappy 15 out of a store there a few years ago and think that they had Weller 12. It's been a while since I've been there though so I don't know if they still have any on the shelf.

Obviously Savannah has a bunch of liquor stores (I've bought Weller 12 in the past there) and I'm sure Jacksonville has plenty of options.

If you go through Florence, SC you might find some at Micky Finn's. I pulled some Pappy 15 out of a store there a few years ago and think that they had Weller 12. It's been a while since I've been there though so I don't know if they still have any on the shelf.

Obviously Savannah has a bunch of liquor stores (I've bought Weller 12 in the past there) and I'm sure Jacksonville has plenty of options.

Thanks

Went to 4 stores in J'Ville and finally found 3 bottles of Wellers 12 year

weller is still relatively easy to find on the west coast

should probably stock up while that's the case

.......get it... "the case"... buy a case while i still can

Have an opportunity to grab a bottle of the 2014 Four Roses Limited release for $90. Go or no go?

Getting bourbon for Father's Day. I get to go and pick it out myself. Pretty new to the bourbon scene, looking for some suggestions. Going to spend around $100.

I have had: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Weller Antique, Marker's Mark and Knob creek
Currently have some Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch (unopened), Maker's Mark, Knob Creek (unopened)

I live in the Winston area.

Getting bourbon for Father's Day. I get to go and pick it out myself. Pretty new to the bourbon scene, looking for some suggestions. Going to spend around $100.

I have had: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Weller Antique, Marker's Mark and Knob creek
Currently have some Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch (unopened), Maker's Mark, Knob Creek (unopened)

I live in the Winston area.

Rock Hill Farms
Old Weller Antique
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Those three will put you a shade over $100 I think.

Blanton's

Interesting suggestion. Taste is obviously subjective but I've always liked RHF more than Blanton's. Both are the same mashbill (Buffalo Trace #2) and both are single barrel bourbons, but RHF is 100pf while Blanton's is 93pf. I've always thought that RHF has a more complex flavor profile than Blanton's and usually get a slight cherry flavor for some reason (which I like). Both should be around $45 - $50, with RHF on the higher end.

Interesting suggestion. Taste is obviously subjective but I've always liked RHF more than Blanton's. Both are the same mashbill (Buffalo Trace #2) and both are single barrel bourbons, but RHF is 100pf while Blanton's is 93pf. I've always thought that RHF has a more complex flavor profile than Blanton's and usually get a slight cherry flavor for some reason (which I like). Both should be around $45 - $50, with RHF on the higher end.
Battle of the horse bottled bourbons :cool:
Blanton's is yummy, I'll have to try RHF.

Hell. Get both then for $100. He's already had OWA and WTRB.

Oops...good call. I'm on my phone and didn't realize he had already had those. Thought he was saying they were suggestions.

Some other suggestions would be Buffalo Trace, Old Grand Dad 114, Rittenhouse Rye, Sazerac Rye, High West Double Rye, Elmer T Lee

I know I have seen Blanton's in the local ABC stores and have wanted to try it. Not sure of Rock Hill Farms. Since I have had OWA and WTRB, I like the idea of picking Blanton's and RHF up. If they do not have RHF, what is another good alternative?

Alternatives answered above. Thanks!

Last edited:
Those in Winston area, is there an ABC store than has a better selection or will they all carry about the same? I live in Clemmons and usually go there or hit the one in Lewisville, but there is one in Advance also close by.

Those in Winston area, is there an ABC store than has a better selection or will they all carry about the same? I live in Clemmons and usually go there or hit the one in Lewisville, but there is one in Advance also close by.

The stores are controlled at the county level IIRC, so the buying is done at that level. Some stores will have slightly different availabilities, but for the most part, the stores in Mecklenburg county all have the same stuff. I would assume it's the same for Forsyth. It's a lame system that results in stores rarely trying anything different or sourcing harder to find bourbons.

Back