• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

weller is still relatively easy to find on the west coast

should probably stock up while that's the case

This.

One of my go-to's in SF has plenty of OWA at a fair price point. For some reason OGD 114 has been hard for me to find out here, but I finally scooped up a bottle this afternoon. (Had just one bottle.)

Re: ABC store selections, there are definitely differences among counties and stores but overall the selection sucks in all of them. But for instance in wake county, the sandy forks abc store is the largest in the county and has the largest selection, with the downside of more buyers meaning when they do get good bottles they go quick.

Visited buffalo trace distillery this weekend, very cool overall. My first distillery and just did the basic tour. Of note, in the bottling room there was a pallet of OWA 107 ready to go...12 cases per row, 7 rows. Assuming 12 per case...1008 bottles. Also, they had pappy bottles sans labels on the ready to start bottling. In the gift shop, nothing of note: eagle rare, white dog, buffalo trace, buffalo creme, and their new vodka. Grabbed a handle of buffalo trace and two crimes from there.

Hit the Liquor Barn after that and based in large part on suggestions here picked up:
- Very Old Barton BIB 100 proof
- Black Ridge small batch
- Old Grand-dad 114
- wathen's single barrel 94 proof no age statement, barrel 7553 bottled march 2014
- heaven hill BIB 6 yr 100 proof
- col Taylor rye BIB 100 proof
- rittenhouse rye 100 proof
- Johnny drum private stock 101 proof

With the exception of the OGD 114 and possibly the rittenhouse I don't think any of the others are in NC or if they are, are quite limited. Was disappointed that they were wiped clean of weller, rock hill, and all other buffalo trace products basically including blantons. They said they their high end stuff was picked over during the derby and they are out of their allotment for the time being.

coming from NC, the selection was frankly overwhelming. The sales folks were great. My only possible regret is the wathen's, I did more research after the fact and have read mixed reviews; the bourbon being good but the lack of info about the source being of concern.

Have not broken into anything new except for the heaven hill BiB yet. Very smooth, great bargain.

It looks like Maker's Mark has registered a label for a cask strength release. I don't know if this is only for the gift shop, for tastings, general release, as a gift set, or something else, but I would be interested in this one if it is available. I'd really love it if they came out with an older release...that's what they are really missing.

8mOWlVi.png

So the Lewisville ABC store was out of Blanton's, said the distillery was having issues or something? No Old Grandad 114, no Rittenhouse Rye, no Sazerac Rye, no Elmer T Lee, no High West Double Rye.

So I got some Buffalo Trace, Jefferson's and Eagle Rare. The in-laws got me a bottle of WT 101. Not a bad haul, I don't think.

One of my good friends emailed this to me last night. Its an interesting concept that I might try after we get back from the bowl game.

You add 3 three cinnamon sticks, 2 vanilla bean pods, and a granny smith apple to a bottle of bourbon; let it sit for a week; and then strain it into a mason jar. It's like the taste of Christmas in a bottle. Enjoy the holidays.

1/2 a bottle or 3/4 bottle?

Going to open up a new bottle tonight. Should I go with the Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare or Jefferson's?

Open all, have 2 fingers of each and figure out what you like best.

I like the Eagle Rare the best so far. Buffalo Trace was 2nd. Will try the Jefferson's neat, instead of with a cube of ice next time. Seemed a little weak.

I was going to make some cherry infused bourbon and havent done it before. 1 cup cherries to 1 cup bourbon? Should i pit the cherries? Do i need to refrigerate while it infuses? Strain the cherries out after a week or so?

Back