• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I live in Louisville where bourbon flows like water at every social function.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a _bad_ bourbon. The people who make bourbon take it very seriously and even the less expensive stuff produced in large scale is made with a lot of love and care. However, each bourbon has its own personality and you have to find one that suits you. That means trying them out.

In our home, we keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, because that's what suits me. I like a "hot" drink.

What do we bring the party or give as a gift to people from out of town? Woodford Reserve, Booker, Knob Creek. It's hard to go wrong.

P.S.
If you can get past the funny name, "Rebel Yell" is pretty darned good.

Last edited:
I posted this on the Smoking Food thread, but it deserves to be here as well. I picked up some Makers Mark 46 French Oak staves while I was in KY for the bachelors party to use in the smoker. I threw one in last week doing some ribs and Boston butts. The smell was heavenly, and it left a nice flavor on the ribs. I wish I had bought more now.

I've made it my mission to try every bourbon in this thread. While at ABC the other day I bought some Rebel Yell. I find that, for the price, it's stacks up pretty well.

You're going to be drinking for awhile :p

I'm on a conf call with China right now and the Hudson Manhattan Rye I'm drinking is the only way I'm able to cope.

I'm on a conf call with China right now and the Hudson Manhattan Rye I'm drinking is the only way I'm able to cope.

What liquor store did you find this at in D.C.? None of my local stores carry it :mad:

What liquor store did you find this at in D.C.? None of my local stores carry it :mad:

Bassins (aka McArthur Beverage) and Pearsons (Calvert and Wisconsin) both have it. I also think Ace Beverage on New Mexico carries it.

My cousin is coming in to town and she made me buy a bottle of the bourbon variety of Firefly Sweet Tea booze. It's actually not bad, cube of ice and a squirt of lemon.

Bassins (aka McArthur Beverage) and Pearsons (Calvert and Wisconsin) both have it. I also think Ace Beverage on New Mexico carries it.

Damn. None of those are easily metro accessible :(

Damn. None of those are easily metro accessible :(

You work in Chinatown, right? There's a liquor store next to Cowgirl Creamery on F between 9 and 10 (might be called Capital Liquors or something). Looks kinda sketchy on the outside but they may have it. I haven't been in there in 3 or so years, but they used to have a pretty nice whiskey selection.

i bet schneider's has hudson, they're a quick walk from union station

You work in Chinatown, right? There's a liquor store next to Cowgirl Creamery on F between 9 and 10 (might be called Capital Liquors or something). Looks kinda sketchy on the outside but they may have it. I haven't been in there in 3 or so years, but they used to have a pretty nice whiskey selection.

I wondered if that liquor store was any good. I'll have to stop by and check it out. In the daytime.

Woooord. Thanks. Know what I'm doing on my lunch break :D

He's the guy who sells ROFEX watches for $30?

Back