Page 14 of 274 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Good bourbon

Can someone explain to me what a "rye" means vs other bourbons?

I live in Louisville where bourbon flows like water at every social function.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a _bad_ bourbon. The people who make bourbon take it very seriously and even the less expensive stuff produced in large scale is made with a lot of love and care. However, each bourbon has its own personality and you have to find one that suits you. That means trying them out.

In our home, we keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, because that's what suits me. I like a "hot" drink.

What do we bring the party or give as a gift to people from out of town? Woodford Reserve, Booker, Knob Creek. It's hard to go wrong.

P.S.
    If you can get past the funny name, "Rebel Yell" is pretty darned good.
    Last edited by tango1960; 09-19-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: one more thought

Scooter Banks

Quote Originally Posted by dot com View Post
    Bulleit was just recommended to me this afternoon as a good every day kind of drink. Good to see some verification.
    I love bulleit bourbon for manhattans. It's my go to for that.

Sheikh of Smoke
    I posted this on the Smoking Food thread, but it deserves to be here as well. I picked up some Makers Mark 46 French Oak staves while I was in KY for the bachelors party to use in the smoker. I threw one in last week doing some ribs and Boston butts. The smell was heavenly, and it left a nice flavor on the ribs. I wish I had bought more now.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWakeKnight View Post
    I've made it my mission to try every bourbon in this thread. While at ABC the other day I bought some Rebel Yell. I find that, for the price, it's stacks up pretty well.
    You're going to be drinking for awhile

cookout = blabbermouth?
    I'm on a conf call with China right now and the Hudson Manhattan Rye I'm drinking is the only way I'm able to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    I'm on a conf call with China right now and the Hudson Manhattan Rye I'm drinking is the only way I'm able to cope.
    What liquor store did you find this at in D.C.? None of my local stores carry it

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfan2009 View Post
    What liquor store did you find this at in D.C.? None of my local stores carry it
    Bassins (aka McArthur Beverage) and Pearsons (Calvert and Wisconsin) both have it. I also think Ace Beverage on New Mexico carries it.

I'm pretty sure you can also buy it on drinkupny.com.

Robert O'Kelley
    My cousin is coming in to town and she made me buy a bottle of the bourbon variety of Firefly Sweet Tea booze. It's actually not bad, cube of ice and a squirt of lemon.

Bassins (aka McArthur Beverage) and Pearsons (Calvert and Wisconsin) both have it. I also think Ace Beverage on New Mexico carries it.
    Damn. None of those are easily metro accessible

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Damn. None of those are easily metro accessible
    You work in Chinatown, right? There's a liquor store next to Cowgirl Creamery on F between 9 and 10 (might be called Capital Liquors or something). Looks kinda sketchy on the outside but they may have it. I haven't been in there in 3 or so years, but they used to have a pretty nice whiskey selection.

i bet schneider's has hudson, they're a quick walk from union station

You work in Chinatown, right? There's a liquor store next to Cowgirl Creamery on F between 9 and 10 (might be called Capital Liquors or something). Looks kinda sketchy on the outside but they may have it. I haven't been in there in 3 or so years, but they used to have a pretty nice whiskey selection.
    I wondered if that liquor store was any good. I'll have to stop by and check it out. In the daytime.

Woooord. Thanks. Know what I'm doing on my lunch break

Sheikh of Smoke
    Sipping on a big glass of Makers Mark 46, after the day I've had, it's a welcome end cap.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Woooord. Thanks. Know what I'm doing on my lunch break
    So, any luck?

Rusty Larue
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    i bet schneider's has hudson, they're a quick walk from union station
    place is awesome. having a liquor store so close to me has been bad news for the wallet though.

How many of you were sipping the good stuff after the Wake win yesterday?

Banhammer'd
    He's the guy who sells ROFEX watches for $30?