• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Drank some Redbreast 15 yr this weekend. The 12 yr is a staple of mine but I'd never had the 15. I thought it was good, but a little too delicate for my taste. And not worth the extra $25 in my opinion.

Sipping on some Four Roses Small Batch, courtesy of wolf1297 and deaconpeach. I've been nursing this bottle for too long. Need to kill it.

Picked up a bottle of Corner Creek Reserve tonight. I'm a big fan. Got a nice bite and has a lot of depth of flavor.

Sipping on some Four Roses Small Batch, courtesy of wolf1297 and deaconpeach. I've been nursing this bottle for too long. Need to kill it.

Have you had the single barrel version? I had that a few weeks ago and am wondering how the small batch compares, as that's the only version we have at the Winston ABCs.

Need some recommendations from The Pit bourbon drinkers. Had my first taste of Knob Creek over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. For years I either turned my nose up to bourbon or mixed it. Now I'm looking for a premium sippin' bourbon to pair well with a medium bodied cigar for afternoon drinks. Not a big fan of rye whiskey either. And here's the catch (b/c there's always a catch)....not looking to spend more than $30-40/L. I really want to try Makers Mark 46!!!

I was able to try it at the Makers Distillery straight from the barrel before it was released. It is now my special occasion bourbon. Excellent stuff.

I had it when we did the tour of Four Roses on the Bourbon Trail. It was good, but there is a slight variation from bottle to bottle, which I wasnt a huge fan of. IMO, when I drink something straight, I have a taste in my mind going into it, and it disappoints me if it varies from bottle to bottle. I really liked the Small Batch, and honestly the small batch blends were my favorite at each of the distilleries we toured. It offered a little more consistency from what I could tell.

Maybe there is some remnant bourbon left in the barrel after the bourbon distilleries sell the old barrels to Crown Royal?

There was some remnant of bourbon in me, but none in the house Sunday so I had to open that.

Bumping this to the top...have a bet with a buddy on a 1/2 marathon we're running in April. If I win, I get to name my bourbon, with a cap of around $100-115. What would you go with? I love Bourbon, but I've never justified spending much more than $50 on a bottle, so I'm not sure what exists at that price range. He's a Scotch guy and already has his $100 bottle picked out.

I'm reading through the thread to see what recommendations are out there, but 17 pages is a lot to get through, so I figured I'd throw the question out as well.

For reference, I'm currently sipping my way through a bottle of Basil Hayden's. For tailgating, I admit to going cheap and drinking entirely too much Jack Daniels or Dickel.

Last edited:
Bumping this to the top...have a bet with a buddy on a 1/2 marathon we're running in April. If I win, I get to name my bourbon, with a cap of around $100-115. What would you go with? I love Bourbon, but I've never justified spending much more than $50 on a bottle, so I'm not sure what exists at that price range. He's a Scotch guy and already has his $100 bottle picked out.

I'm reading through the thread to see what recommendations are out there, but 17 pages is a lot to get through, so I figured I'd throw the question out as well.

For reference, I'm currently sipping my way through a bottle of Basil Hayden's. For tailgating, I admit to going cheap and drinking entirely too much Jack Daniels or Dickel.

Can you give the guy $15 and upgrade to George T Stagg (~$130 at a couple places online)?

I also loooooove Willett Green Horn but I'm pretty sure that's only available at Bourbon in DC.

Can you give the guy $15 and upgrade to George T Stagg (~$130 at a couple places online)?

The bet is a motivation to get him back into running after a 3 year break, so I doubt we'll argue over $15. His wife will pick up the difference to thank me.

The one thing that is certain is that you need to get your effort's worth out of this. That means barrel proof. You can always cut bourbon, but you can't always make it stronger.

Oh man. I'm so excited for going to DC. I hope my friends will go to Bourbon. If they won't, I'll just go with other friends.

I could kill someone for a bottle of pappy family reserve 15 or 20. The 15 isn't very expensive, just impossible to find.

Back