• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Bulleit 10 is a solid bourbon. I don't know the lingo, but here goes:

Bulleit-Bourbon-10-yr-Stright.jpg

Incredibly smooth (91.2 Proof) with some smoke on the back end and some spice on the way down.

You won't need any water with this one and I have enjoyed it neat on a 76 degree afternoon.

Taste-wise, there is a lot of vanilla in the front and a bit of fruit on the way back. I'm seeing reviewers describe the other prominent taste as "toasty oak" and that's definitely there, too, situated right in the middle between the vanilla and the fruit.

Is it worth the price? I don't know. I hear it is going for between $31.99-45.99. I picked up a bottle for $39.99, which is the same price as FR Single Barrel. Ultimately, Bulleit 10 is a really smooth bourbon; the vanilla stands out in a good way with just enough smoke and spice to keep things interesting. I'll enjoy this bottle, but likely won't pick up another one.

We went to a couple of whiskey themed bars last night. The first had EH Taylor Small Batch for $8.

Just poured a glass of some French absinthe that ordered online a couple weeks ago. It's quite tasty. Smooth anise flavors, not unlike a good ouzo. And it's 144pf, so some serious heat to it.

c8a05a71d45d4086128f81c19605067b.jpg

Guys, I like bourbon. Some big pours of a John J Bowman single barrel with my dad tonight and now a Four Roses OESF night cap as I watch some of the US Open highlights/post round coverage.

Only caught about 3 minutes of it, but will listen to the podcast- Charlotte Talks on WFAE had an episode this morning on the resurgence of bourbon/whiskey.

Had a couple pours of Elmer T Lee with my Dad and FIL yesterday. My 'rents got me a bottle of Jefferson's small batch, my in-laws got me a gift certificate to the ABC store and we told my Dad about our trip to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. All in all a damn fine Father's Day!

I'm about out of the Four Roses that I bought and need a recommendation. I'll be at the local ABC store because that's what we have around here. My issue is that I don't know what's mass label crap and what's good. For example, if I want to buy beer- I know what brands are complete crap, but with bourbon/whiskey I don't know what to avoid or look for. Can someone give me some of the big names to stay away from and a few to look for? Thanks in advance.

Used my gift certificate and picked up a bottle of Hirsch Small Batch Reserve. Haven't opened it yet, but feeling kinda meh about the purchase in hindsight. Anyone had it? Thoughts?

Got lucky today...found an ABC in eastern NC that had a great selection. Got a Stagg Jr batch 3 and and EH Taylor Single Barrel. Passed on a Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 3 that was a private barrel select. The only redeeming feature to NC's system is that if you do come across a hard to find bottle, you are paying a fair price. No gouging.

Got lucky today...found an ABC in eastern NC that had a great selection. Got a Stagg Jr batch 3 and and EH Taylor Single Barrel. Passed on a Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 3 that was a private barrel select. The only redeeming feature to NC's system is that if you do come across a hard to find bottle, you are paying a fair price. No gouging.

I've got a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean, not sure what voyage, but it was also a private barrel select for McScrooge's in Knoxville. Not my favorite, especially for the price.

Had some Knob Creek Single Barrel this weekend my mom picked up from McScgrooge's in Knoxville. It was a barrel they selected for their store and it was very good! I may have to steal the rest of the bottle!

Got lucky today...found an ABC in eastern NC that had a great selection. Got a Stagg Jr batch 3 and and EH Taylor Single Barrel..

Wow. That's the stuff that sold out in under 6 minutes when Charlotte got their allotment a few weeks ago. I did have a pour of the EHT SB at Crepe Cellar in Charlotte the other night. Didn't really leave me too upset about not getting a bottle.

Has anyone tried cocaine in their Old Fashioned? Good times.

Wow. That's the stuff that sold out in under 6 minutes when Charlotte got their allotment a few weeks ago. I did have a pour of the EHT SB at Crepe Cellar in Charlotte the other night. Didn't really leave me too upset about not getting a bottle.

I was a little underwhelmed by the EHT small batch...hoping the single barrel will knock my socks off and justify costing $20+ more than the small batch. Was thrilled by finding the Stagg Jr..I will be stocking up on Batch 3 and 4 when I can find it.

I was a little underwhelmed by the EHT small batch...hoping the single barrel will knock my socks off and justify costing $20+ more than the small batch. Was thrilled by finding the Stagg Jr..I will be stocking up on Batch 3 and 4 when I can find it.

I don't like CEHT small batch at all. The single barrel is much better. The rye is great.

Back