• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Of all places, I found some Blanton's at the ABC Store in Coolemee NC. I picked up 2 bottles of the 3 they had. They said after they're all gone they won't be getting any more in for a while.

Thoughts on Four Roses Single Barrel v Small Batch?

It's a good question. I'd say that I still like the small batch a bit better, but the single has really grown on me recently. I think it's because I'm aging and losing taste buds and the single is a bit more intense.

I'll edit to add something: a friend of mine's family started that distillery and owned it for a long time (not uncommon in KY). As a result, he has a massive stash of old Four Roses ads, which range from delightfully antiquated to pretty fucking racist. I've got some pics, and I'll put them up as soon as I figure out how to do so from my phone.

Last edited:
I tried the Orphan Barrel Barter House last night. First taste was pretty good, but it left pretty quickly. No burn, not much for a lingering flavor and not a lot of complexity. I am glad I didn't pay for the bottle.

Bought some Wild Turkey 101 rye last weekend, which I have not seen before. I've only had their 81, which I thought was ok. I'm excited to give it a try but I have enough open rye right now that it'll be a while.

What gives you the most bang for the buck that is 7 years old or older?

OWA (used to be age stated 7 years - now probably closer to 6)
Weller 12
Elijah Craig 12yr
Old Grand Dad 114 (probably about 6 years as well) - $24ish, great bang for your buck though
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Four Roses Single Barrel (not sure here...maybe 6-7)
Beam Black is 8yr (stay away, IMO)
Knob Creek and Knob Creek Single Barrel are 9ish....bad bang for your buck though

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, I really enjoy the Smooth Ambler Old Scout.

Nice call. Drinking some of that tonight (10 yr barrel proof though).

994fa502e4160ed45b6ca8aea1c46e60.jpg

Last edited:
What gives you the most bang for the buck that is 7 years old or older?

OWA (used to be age stated 7 years - now probably closer to 6)
Weller 12
Elijah Craig 12yr
Old Grand Dad 114 (probably about 6 years as well) - $24ish, great bang for your buck though
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Four Roses Single Barrel (not sure here...maybe 6-7)
Beam Black is 8yr (stay away, IMO)
Knob Creek and Knob Creek Single Barrel are 9ish....bad bang for your buck though

Someone just told me that FRSmB averages around 7 years and FRSB averages around 8.

Working on the itinerary for the Bourbon Festival trip in September 17-20. Trying to finish up my Bourbon Trail Passport while up there. Hitting up Town Branch and Four Roses on Thursday on our way in on Thursday. Going to the festival on Friday, then up to Buffalo Trace that afternoon to do the tour and then the Ghost Tour at 7:00. Doing more Bourbon Trail tours on Saturday (Maker's, Jim Beam & Evan Williams). Coming home Sunday.

Got 2 recently:

Elijah Craig Small Batch 94 proof - it's okay, nothing special though
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 120 proof - really like the kick/spice/heat of this one

Working on the itinerary for the Bourbon Festival trip in September 17-20. Trying to finish up my Bourbon Trail Passport while up there. Hitting up Town Branch and Four Roses on Thursday on our way in on Thursday. Going to the festival on Friday, then up to Buffalo Trace that afternoon to do the tour and then the Ghost Tour at 7:00. Doing more Bourbon Trail tours on Saturday (Maker's, Jim Beam & Evan Williams). Coming home Sunday.

Register on Straightbourbon.com if you haven't already and post in the "new to straightbourbon" section. While up in Kentucky you want to go to the Gazebo at the General Nelson one night. There will be bourbon on the table that you will probably ever see again.

Back