• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Can you give the guy $15 and upgrade to George T Stagg (~$130 at a couple places online)?

I also loooooove Willett Green Horn but I'm pretty sure that's only available at Bourbon in DC.

Little known fact - the Watergate Liquor store in DC also has a Willet connection and gets bottles (not just the Pot Still) fairly often. Nothing like the selection at Bourbon of course, but they do get some really cool stuff on occasion. We picked up a bottle of Willet Orange Blossom a couple weeks ago, and they've had a 13 up for a while. Willet is straight barrel so a little water is required usually.

Little known fact - the Watergate Liquor store in DC also has a Willet connection and gets bottles (not just the Pot Still) fairly often. Nothing like the selection at Bourbon of course, but they do get some really cool stuff on occasion. We picked up a bottle of Willet Orange Blossom a couple weeks ago, and they've had a 13 up for a while. Willet is straight barrel so a little water is required usually.

Paws rep coming your way.

Had some Popcorn Sutton moonshine last weekend...I know it's technically not bourbon, but it was much smoother than a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread.

Bumping this to the top...have a bet with a buddy on a 1/2 marathon we're running in April. If I win, I get to name my bourbon, with a cap of around $100-115. What would you go with? I love Bourbon, but I've never justified spending much more than $50 on a bottle, so I'm not sure what exists at that price range. He's a Scotch guy and already has his $100 bottle picked out.

I'm reading through the thread to see what recommendations are out there, but 17 pages is a lot to get through, so I figured I'd throw the question out as well.

For reference, I'm currently sipping my way through a bottle of Basil Hayden's. For tailgating, I admit to going cheap and drinking entirely too much Jack Daniels or Dickel.

I'm not sure I would appreciate a $100+ bottle more than a $50 bottle, and I say that having sampled them almost across the board. If you have a way of sampling some, that'd be the best bet. There are small batches of Black Maple Hill that are harder to find than they are expensive, but among the best bourbons in the world (namely the 14, 16, 18, and 20 years)

I know I'd pick a 23 year Pappy now that they've started bottling it again.

So with all this in mind of course you should go 23 Pappy at any chance. Since that is pretty much impossible, what you should do is this: your request should a bottle of 17 year old Eagle Rare. It is $70 and is the absolute best bang for your buck. Trust me on this. You will not regret it.

What is your go-to cheap bourbon? Something you can drink on the rocks.

What is your go-to cheap bourbon? Something you can drink on the rocks.

How cheap? Hard to argue Woodford Reserve if you're looking for something decent that won't break the bank.

Bulleit is another option. Step up to Basil Hayden's after that or Rowan's Creek... Those should all be under $50/bottle.

How cheap? Hard to argue Woodford Reserve if you're looking for something decent that won't break the bank.

Bulleit is another option. Step up to Basil Hayden's after that or Rowan's Creek... Those should all be under $50/bottle.

Yeah. The problem is that these are my current go-to's

I'm trying to save money.

Had a couple of pours of Blanton's tonight before dinner ... every time I have it, it reminds of me how it's the best easily accessible (i.e - in most "good" US bars) bourbon there is.

If you're just asking in general, this is what I go with.

DSC_0347.jpg

Just picked up a bottle of Bulleit. Nice choice at a nice price.

grandad if i am going the absolute cheapest. it mixes really well with ginger ale or mint ginger ale.

elijah if i am going at around 20.

eagle rare or sazerac if i am shooting for mid 20s and looking for a clean drink
bulleit rye if i am looking to make manhattens but still trying to stay mid 20s.

Just picked up a bottle of Bulleit. Nice choice at a nice price.

Also, Bulleit Rye was released in March and is wildly popular in the mixology scene at the moment. Not sure if it's just because it's new or if it'll have staying power, but it's worth a look.

Owned by the same guys as Bourbon.

Good call. I've only been to Bourbon once. But this place seems to be like 4 times bigger. Not sure if the selection is also bigger.

Had some Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye tonight. That's some good shit.

Made manhattans last night with High West Double Rye. Highly recommend. It's great for cocktails that call for rye.

Back