• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

BT is the bourbon onboard United. Always makes the flights a little better.

^ hard to find these days in NC. Almost all the BT offerings are scarce.

The 4 Roses Barrel bourbon is very nice indeed. 2/3 of my bottle is gone. Look forward to the next Board Barrel purchase.

That was my experience in SC too, but come out to Colorado and BT is everywhere, Eagle Rare is readily available, Johnny Drum, ETL, Weller Special Reserve, OWA and occasionally W12 too.

That was my experience in SC too, but come out to Colorado and BT is everywhere, Eagle Rare is readily available, Johnny Drum, ETL, Weller Special Reserve, OWA and occasionally W12 too.

:eek:

Would you mind shipping a bottle or two to NC?

Just now finally getting my first sip of the boards bottle. Love it.

I suck at tasting notes or picking out flavors so bear with me. Nose is brown sugar and vanilla bean, I could be fine just smelling this for a while. Taste is spicy, dill-ish kind of flavors in there. If I didn't know what this was, I'd guess it was a great rye. Makes sense given the high rye recipe. Never had Pikesville but imagine this is very similar to that.

Thanks again to B&D.

Edit: this was neat no ice or water

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of my first and only bottle of Buffalo Trace. Tasted earthy to me. I've had small samples at the BT tours and liked it better, but not enough to purchase another bottle.

My in-laws gifted me a bottle of WT81 and I found it very sweet and smooth. Took it down Halloween night 2015. That was a fun night!

Buffalo Trace is my standard go to for Manhattans. Just so smooth and a good sipper as well for the money.

The restaurant I am going to tonight lists Corner Creek as its bourbon of choice. I have never even heard of this stuff, Can anyone elaborate?

Mentioned by leftcoast earlier on this page, I'd say his description is spot-on - doesn't really need any water/ice, although a whiskey stone or two could work. I have never had it in a cocktail, but it would probably make a good one. Its fairly inexpensive so its a nice one to have around, I may even finish my bottle tonight now.

Buffalo Trace is my standard go to for Manhattans. Just so smooth and a good sipper as well for the money.

The restaurant I am going to tonight lists Corner Creek as its bourbon of choice. I have never even heard of this stuff, Can anyone elaborate?

I grabbed a bottle of corner creek on clearance for $26 in sanford to try it out. I am not really a fan of it, just to me had taste of young bourbon / strong alcohol notes (though its low proof). but gave a buddy who is also a bourbon guy a sample and he loved it, liked it better than johnny drum sample i also gave him (he tried them blind) so to each his own. anyway i will be giving him the rest of my bottle. if you try it out post your thoughts afterwards.

re: eagle rare and BT in NC, you just have to check around, my local store in eastern wake county had blanton's, eagle rare (750 and 1.5) and BT on the shelf this morning.

Separately, Bookers announced they are reducing production and increasing price to $100 in 2017. I think NC only changes prices quarterly so we'll keep it at $59.95 until Feb or March...if you can find it that long. It does go on sale in Jan for $54.95 at which point I plan to grab a few again, provided it is still on shelves.

Just now finally getting my first sip of the boards bottle. Love it.

I suck at tasting notes or picking out flavors so bear with me. Nose is brown sugar and vanilla bean, I could be fine just smelling this for a while. Taste is spicy, dill-ish kind of flavors in there. If I didn't know what this was, I'd guess it was a great rye. Makes sense given the high rye recipe. Never had Pikesville but imagine this is very similar to that.

Thanks again to B&D.

Edit: this was neat no ice or water

Pikesville was the comparison I came to on the other thread...a great buy at $50 in NC.

Bought a bottle of Jefferson's. Never had it before. I wasn't all that impressed.

Corner Creek is a product by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers. It's sourced whiskey so there's no telling who makes it and there's no age statement. It's bottled at 88 proof so any water or ice really washes it out. A bottle should be less than $30, so don't pay more than $8 in a restaurant.

10. I was slack last night and didn't add the photo. The selection was Eagle Rare, which is pretty well know on these here boards, so I'll hold off on the review.

78bdc5a1873b8b3199ba3550cd622b24.jpg

8511168b4b4b168526645dce30ea9c3b.jpg

11. Maker's Mark
Also well know here, I'll hold off on reviewing.

12. Hudson Baby Bourbon
I believe they named it baby bourbon because they pulled it from the barrel much too soon. Aborted bourbon would have also been an acceptable name. It was harsh, almost to the point of being undrinkable.

13. Kings County Bourbon
Overall a nice sipping bourbon. Some great vanilla hints at varying times and very easy on the tongue. Smooth and next to no burn at all.

I'll write up the last two here in a few once I give them a try.

Last edited:
Today's fare is Rebel Yell and Larceny Very Special Small Batch.
5bc99a190dc44fc3955ab203b7fba1e5.jpg

The Rebel Yell made me want to grab mah musket and join the militia. Once I went outside, it was too cold, especially since I didn't have any shoes. It was nothing special, and would probably be better as a mixer.

The Larceny confused me. I've had regular Larceny before, but this had an oddly sweet, almost licorice taste. Something I've never experienced with a bourbon.

I really don't like the Baby Bourbon either. I find it extremely harsh as well. I think I sinked the bottle I bought. I remember thinking that the Hudson Four Grain was the best of their offerings, but still not really that great, especially for the price.

I really don't like the Baby Bourbon either. I find it extremely harsh as well. I think I sinked the bottle I bought. I remember thinking that the Hudson Four Grain was the best of their offerings, but still not really that great, especially for the price.

Agree as well. It's just not good bourbon. I have the Baby Bourbon and Four Grain sitting around somewhere but will probably never pour from them again.

I skipped a couple days of Jesus scotch, so I'm gonna catch up.

First up:

c8c563a5c309447627467db9c7f3b179.jpg

This is interesting. Very smoky, but there's something more mezcal about it than scotch. I can't even really discern any specific flavors. Maybe leather. It's just earthy and smoky. And pretty hot, but not harsh.

Jesus 10

4f346c0a77f83dd876bb345cdbff5923.jpg

It's a sherry cask, and though I liked the earlier one, this is the kind of sherry cask whiskey I don't like. It's got an odd nose and I find the sherry to be borderline overpowering. Some deep sweet fruit like raisins and maybe burnt orange peel. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea.

Back