• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I'm not sure that's not what a "martini of any liqour is". I've never heard of a martini involving simply shaking a single liquor with ice and pouring into a glass. A Gin or Vodka Martini both have additional mixers, and a typical bourbon martini does as well. That may be what you ordered, but it's not what a normal martini is.

I rather enjoy a Manhattan, but if I'm going to drink bourbon neat, it won't be in a martini glass.

Neat is not shaken or chilled either.

Many people call a large chilled drink of straight vodka or gin a "martini". It's about the size of the glass and being chilled or stirred as much as the ingredients.

Many people call a large chilled drink of straight vodka or gin a "martini". It's about the size of the glass and being chilled or stirred as much as the ingredients.

Many people call an Appletini a Martini too...

I think I'm in love with Eagle Rare....been my go-to bourbon this Fall.

So is the general consensus that Blanton's is the best 750mL bourbon for @ $50? I'm in the buying mood for the holidays and would like to keep it under $50 and can be easily found.

I realize this is wikipedia, but:

The exact origin of the martini is unclear. Numerous cocktails with names and ingredients similar to the modern-day martini were first seen in bartending guides of the late 19th century.[5] One popular theory suggests it evolved from a cocktail called the Martinez served at the Occidental Hotel in San Francisco sometime in the early 1860s, which people frequented before taking an evening ferry to the nearby town of Martinez. Alternatively, the people of Martinez say the drink was first created by a bartender in their town.[6] Another theory links the first dry martini to the name of a bartender who concocted the drink at the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York City in 1911 or 1912.[7]

But it was Prohibition and the relative ease of illegal gin manufacture that led to the martini's rise as the predominant cocktail of the mid 20th century in the United States. With the repeal of Prohibition, and the ready availability of quality gin, the drink became progressively dryer. In the 1970s and 80s, the martini came to be seen as old-fashioned and was replaced by more intricate cocktails and wine spritzers, but the mid-1990s saw a resurgence in the drink and an explosion of new versions.

Some newer drinks include the word "martini" or the suffix "-tini" in the name (e.g., appletini, peach martini, chocolate martini, espresso martini), however, these are simply named after the cocktail glass they share with the martini and do not share any ingredients in common, and therefore should not be considered variants of the martini.

The reason most people are guessing Manhattan is because they are served in a martini glass. All you are describing, RJ, is a bourbon served straight up in a martini glass. It isn't a bourbon martini.

Just because many people call it that doesnt make it right. I've never heard anyone call a drink like that a martini btw. Every martini I've heard of requires vermouth.

Manhattans also have vermouth. Sweet vermouth but vermouth nonetheless.

Apparently buckets' dad has very strong feelings about martinis and the fact that sex and the city ruined them as a cocktail for a man.

I drink my manhattans on rocks in a cocktail glass.

Vodka + Vermouth + cocktail glass = Kangaroo

I am pretty sure that the Kangaroo is made with a twist of lemon instead of olives and that is the difference between a Kangaroo and a Vodka Martini, but I could be wrong.

Apparently buckets' dad has very strong feelings about martinis and the fact that sex and the city ruined them as a cocktail for a man.

I don't think this is right. A cocktail glass is a martini glass. I think you drink them in a rocks glass (old fashioned or double old fashioned). That's the way I go as well.

I don't think this is right. A cocktail glass is a martini glass. I think you drink them in a rocks glass (old fashioned or double old fashioned). That's the way I go as well.

Also how I drink mine.

does buckets' dad post here?

Several friends woh are bartenders or or joints have told me martini has evolved into a catch all for any drink served in that type of glass.

BTW, you are correct Manhattan's are not supposed to be served in a martini glass.

Several friends woh are bartenders or or joints have told me martini has evolved into a catch all for any drink served in that type of glass.

BTW, you are correct Manhattan's are not supposed to be served in a martini glass.

Actually, the "perfect" manhattan is served strained in a cocktail glass. But as I mentioned, I prefer manhattans on the rocks.

I think I'm in love with Eagle Rare....been my go-to bourbon this Fall.

So is the general consensus that Blanton's is the best 750mL bourbon for @ $50? I'm in the buying mood for the holidays and would like to keep it under $50 and can be easily found.

If you have the chance, spend an evening at a nicer bar. You can try several good bourbons and decide which you like best. If you travel, buy your bourbon out of state. NC is obviously a state controlled liquor state and this dramatically impacts the pricing. Here in OH, I cross over into KY and save $17.00 per 1.75ml on my Makers.

Dude, just get off this thread. I don't drink my Manhattan's in a martini glass either, but that is how they were orignally served and how they are supposed to be served. So. Much. Fail.

Since we're on a discussion of cocktails, I highly recommend the following books. Both are fantastic reads if you are interested in all things booze.

Imbibe! by David Wondrich

imbibe_big.jpg

and

Boozehound by Jason Wilson.

51fwqlxuY8L.jpg

It's almost as if RJ believes that if he says something over and over with enough conviction that it will magically turn into the truth.

If you have a SHRED of dignity, then you must agree with this post.

Sorry that people who do this for a living say somethnig......my bad a bunch of internet warriors know more than people whose income depends on it.

BTW, you should never ruin good liquor by mixing it with anything other than ice or maybe a prescribed bit of water (many scotches and bourbons do suggest adding water).

Back