• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Wait, Weller Special Reserve and Buffalo Trace are rare finds in NC? Wow, if true. You can find those everywhere in Texas.

I know a few places near me that have Eagle Rare. That's a little harder to find.

I rarely saw either of the two in NC. Eagle Rare was more common at the store in Boone than either of the others.

I rarely saw either of the two in NC. Eagle Rare was more common at the store in Boone than either of the others.

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are pretty common in California. The Wellers pop up sometimes, but they go quick.

Generally no problem find Eagle Rare in the Triad and often it is on sale. OWA, Blanton's and BT are rare and most stores I know don't put it out and have a list of customers to call when it comes in.

Generally no problem find Eagle Rare in the Triad and often it is on sale. OWA, Blanton's and BT are rare and most stores I know don't put it out and have a list of customers to call when it comes in.

My local guy keeps all that stuff behind the counter for his good customers.

Jesus whiskey 3 is Benriach 21 Year Old Temporis Single Malt (92pf). Fair amount of orange and a whole lot of smoke and oak. Apparently this is finished in PX barrels, but I do t get any sherry. My dad and brother both love it, I’m more on the fence. I feel like the substance of the whiskey gets a little lost, I the last couple of sips have been better.

Whiskey 4 is likely one known to most here, Bulleit 10 yr (91.2pf). It’s a decent enough whiskey. Lots of wood and lots of spice. I also get orange and vanilla. Fair bite to it as well.

Whiskey 4 is likely one known to most here, Bulleit 10 yr (91.2pf). It’s a decent enough whiskey. Lots of wood and lots of spice. I also get orange and vanilla. Fair bite to it as well.

It's fine when it's well-priced, but I have seen some outlandish markup outside of California. You can usually find it at Vons for $35, though.

Whiskey 5 is Kilchoman 2012 Wine Finish (Cask 405) (bottled 2018) (113.8pf). Wine cask was from the Douro in Portugal. This is really pretty good for a 5 to 6 year whiskey. A nice ashy smoke on the nose, but not overpowering peat. Nutmeg spice and fresh fruit from the wine barrel. And the smoke on the nose doesn’t takeover the taste. And nice heat with a spicy finish from the high proof. I like it. Maybe a lot.

It's fine when it's well-priced, but I have seen some outlandish markup outside of California. You can usually find it at Vons for $35, though.

Agreed. It’s definitely better than regular Bulleit, but the pricing can get stupid. I think it’s largely leveled out here in the $40 range, but when it was first marketed I think my local had it at $80. It makes a nice manhattan tho.

Baby Jesus Whiskey 6 is Balvenie 21 yr Portwood Finish (80pf). Very delicate and soft. Light fruit. Hint of vanilla and maybe honey. Delicious and a crowd pleaser for sure, but I have a tough time with 80 pf whiskey these days. Too soft for my abused palate.

Whiskey 7 is Laphroig Lore (96 pf). This is apparently a blend made up of:

7 year old American oak ex-bourbon casks
9 year old American oak ex-bourbon casks
Various fully aged whisky from quarter-casks
New European oak casks
Ex-Oloroso European casks
21 year old American oak ex-bourbon casks

I really like this. Heavy on the peat, but not overpowering. Vanilla, apple pie (both fruit and spices) and a nice zesty heat. I’ve seen this on the shelf but I’ve never been a huge fan of Laphroig in general. But I might have to pick one up to keep around when I’m in the mood for something other than bourbon.

Whiskey 5 is Kilchoman 2012 Wine Finish (Cask 405) (bottled 2018) (113.8pf). Wine cask was from the Douro in Portugal. This is really pretty good for a 5 to 6 year whiskey. A nice ashy smoke on the nose, but not overpowering peat. Nutmeg spice and fresh fruit from the wine barrel. And the smoke on the nose doesn’t takeover the taste. And nice heat with a spicy finish from the high proof. I like it. Maybe a lot.

Big fan of Kilchoman. Always have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay in my liquor cabinet.

Did anyone score any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection this year? I never saw or even heard of any of my friends even getting a sniff of it.

Hell we have a hard enough time down here getting the pretty good stuff. I can't remember the last time I even had a bottle of Weller in house.

Jesus whiskey 8 is Crabbie 12 yr (86pf). It’s apparently a sourced whiskey from an undisclosed distillery. Lightly peated, light in color. I get tropical fruit and honey and some unknown spice. If I had to guess, I’d say this is from Balvenie.

Whiskey 9 is Deanston 18 yr (92.6pf) (and non-chill filtered, for those that thinks it makes a difference). This is a really nice highland whiskey. Lots of vanilla and honey, and maybe some citrus. A pleasant little bite to it and a very long finish. I would defs recommend this one.

Did anyone score any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection this year? I never saw or even heard of any of my friends even getting a sniff of it.

Hell we have a hard enough time down here getting the pretty good stuff. I can't remember the last time I even had a bottle of Weller in house.

I think it's gotten more typically for BTAC to never even see the shelf. Most of the big stores in Denver sell them via raffle (entry to win gives you the opportunity to purchase); I know a few folks in Colorado (outside Denver) that found some bottles in the wild.

Whiskey 10 is something called Peat’s Beast Cask Strength PX Cask Finish (108.2pf). Lots of peat on this one, but it’s mellowed by the sherry cask. Very sweet, like dark brown sugar. I was expecting to not like this one since peat bombs and sherry casks aren’t my typical favorites, but it’s pretty good. My guess is that my brother likes this one a lot.

I can get BT pretty reliably at my local spot but it looks like a dump from the outside.

Pretty sure my wife and I are responsible for the bulk of his BT sales.

Back