• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whiskey 16 is Woodford Reserve Master's Collection - Sonoma-Cutrer Finish (Pinot noir casks) (90.4 pf). I’m not a huge woodford fan in general, and this has the same funk to it that just rubs me the wrong way (but less so than usual). But there are some nice almond and dark fruit flavors. Half my sips are good. Half are troubling.

Jesus whiskey 15 is Caol Ila 2004 (bottled 2016) Moscatel Cask Finish Distillers Rdition (86pf). Pretty heavy on the peat. A sugary sweetness on my lips. A bit cinnamony too. Some raisin from the moscatel. Interesting, but I’m not sure it’s my favorite.

I’m a Caol Ila fan. I visited the distillery in 2016. It’s a beautiful setting near Askaig in Islay. On the water looking out on the straight between Jura and Islay. I saw my lifer black guillemot in the water there as I sipped a dram of their standard 12 year single malt. Good times, great memories.

Mocksville ABC store, the day it opened. She only had one case and was limiting one bottle per person. It's run by the same lady that runs the Cooleemee ABC, and she's got one of the best Bourbon selections around.

Have you been to her store in Cooleemee? That's who we are doing the Jefferson's pick with.

The group I get occasional bottles from did a KC single barrel rye. Now, I love rye, and have to say the KC Rye (100 proof, standard) is near the bottom for me in my rye rankings...but I had a sample of this and blew me away at 115 proof with their specific selection. Fortunately, just found out today that a buddy has a 2nd bottle of this on hold for which his wife will kill him if he brings it home so it will be mine soon.

The Statesville ABC store just got their KC single barrel rye last Friday. I think it may be gone now.

Just got an update from my bourbon group on barrel picks for 2019:

What's been secured:
- New Riff Single Barrel Bourbon (will be a 4 year old barrel)

- Traverse City Whisky 10 Year Bourbon

- Jack Daniels Barrel Strength Single Barrel

- Old Forester Single Barrel

What's in progress:

- Barrell Bourbon (Hoping for a 14-15 year old barrel)
- Four Roses
- Buffalo Trace

Should be a solid year, especially if any of the Barrell, 4R, or BT come through.

Jesus whiskey 17 is another I’m not familiar with: Royal Brackla 16 yr (80pf). This is quite nice. I get some cooked apples and cocoa and a fair amount of vanilla. Nice little burn to it, especially surprising at only 80pf. Almost no smoke whatsoever. Definitely with a look if you come across it.

A day behind because I was far too drunk when I got home last night to appreciate nice scotch, so I’ve got two today.

Jesus whiskey 18 is The Glenrothes 18 yr (86pf). I like this quite a lot. Lots of vanilla and burnt orange. A lite touch of peat, but just barely there. A nice long finish with a nice spicy tingle (like ginger or red hots). Very nice whiskey.

Jesus whiskey 19 is The Singleton of Dufftown 18 yr (80pf). Quite different from the Glenrothes. Glad I had that one first. This one is a bit more pungent and peaty, but still nice. I get the same red hot spice, but more cocoa and fruit, and maybe a bit of gasoline. Not my favorite but still a quality whiskey.

Into the homestretch. Jesus whiskey 20 is Glenfarclas 21 yr (86pf). This one is thick and sweet and very good. Lots of malt and dark brown sugar. A little raisiny and a little bit of fruit. Maybe even a little gasoline too. A very nice pour for sure and one I could recommend without hesitation.

Again I got a day behind so here are today’s two.

Jesus whiskey 21 is an unfamiliar one: Starward 10th Anniversary (104pf). I like this one a ton. Drinks like a bourbon. Thick and robust. Fig and raisin and caramel. Nice heat to it. I want more.

Whiskey 22 is Glendronach 18 yr Allardice (92pf). The sherry cask is quite apparent. Honey and ginger and chocolate. And I get a fair amount of oak. Tastes a little bit like rum too. Very nice scotch.

Just picked up an IW Harper 15 at Costco. Anyone know anything about this one?

Love it when Costco has something unique or at least something good that they usually don't. Right now (at least in my area) they have Lagavulin 16 in stock and on sale for an additional $10 off, bringing it down to $75.

Love it when Costco has something unique or at least something good that they usually don't. Right now (at least in my area) they have Lagavulin 16 in stock and on sale for an additional $10 off, bringing it down to $75.

Damn that is a deal

I got some Willet pot still 1.75L bottles at Costco a week or two ago for $60 each

Final day of the calendar. Always a sad time. I’ve got the last two today.

Whiskey 23 is Girvan 28 Year Old 1989 (cask 16785) - Celebration Of The Cask (from Càrn Mòr) (115.2pf). This is pretty incredible, and really fucking hot. Honey and cinnamon and citrus. Syrupy with a long finish and tingly lips. This is my kind of whiskey in general and I’m glad I got to try it. Good stuff indeed.

Final Jesus whiskey of the year is The Blended Whiskey Company’s “The half Century Blend” (91pf). Every whiskey in the blend is at least 50 years. This is really interesting. Don’t think I’ve had anything quite like it. I’m getting papaya, something nutty like hazelnuts and something earthy like leather or cigar. Something on the finish I can’t quite place, something woody, but not like a lot of older whiskey. And it’s incredibly smooth. I appreciate different, especially when it’s delicious.

Well now I’m sad it’s over. But just gives me something to look forward to for next year. It’s really my favorite thing in the world. I’m contemplating doing two next year. A whiskey and maybe a mezcal.

Thanks for the reviews wfudkn. I really look forward to reading them every year and now think I will finally go in on a calendar next year.

Final day of the calendar. Always a sad time. I’ve got the last two today.

Whiskey 23 is Girvan 28 Year Old 1989 (cask 16785) - Celebration Of The Cask (from Càrn Mòr) (115.2pf). This is pretty incredible, and really fucking hot. Honey and cinnamon and citrus. Syrupy with a long finish and tingly lips. This is my kind of whiskey in general and I’m glad I got to try it. Good stuff indeed.

Final Jesus whiskey of the year is The Blended Whiskey Company’s “The half Century Blend” (91pf). Every whiskey in the blend is at least 50 years. This is really interesting. Don’t think I’ve had anything quite like it. I’m getting papaya, something nutty like hazelnuts and something earthy like leather or cigar. Something on the finish I can’t quite place, something woody, but not like a lot of older whiskey. And it’s incredibly smooth. I appreciate different, especially when it’s delicious.

Well now I’m sad it’s over. But just gives me something to look forward to for next year. It’s really my favorite thing in the world. I’m contemplating doing two next year. A whiskey and maybe a mezcal.
Where did you order the calendar this year? I saw masters of malt doesn't ship to the US anymore

Where did you order the calendar this year? I saw masters of malt doesn't ship to the US anymore

Ordered it from a place called The Whisky Shop once we realized that MoM couldn’t ship to the US. It’s the exact same calendar as with MoM, though MoM seemed to have a larger variety of different boxes. I expect you he shipping issue to be resolved by next year.

Really enjoyed the writeups wfudkn. Sounds like we have a little different pallet in what we prefer (and yours is about 1000x more sophisticated than mine best I can tell) but I really enjoy the reviews every year.

Anyone have any luck hunting for bourbon this year? I thought I was going to strike out this season until a tip on Christmas Eve from a buddy allowed me to find a bottle of Michters 10 year and an EH Taylor Single Barrel on the shelf at the ABC store back home at my parents house. Small town and only a few people know what the heck to even be looking for. Add those two to the bottle of Blantons I got in Raleigh a few weeks ago and it's been a solid haul. Michters was great, haven't gotten into the EH Taylor yet but looking forward to it.

Back