• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Picked this up over the weekend:
6287cc17e1036fb0d3f0c69e21a17826.jpg

high on my list...let us know what you think

Whiskey 9 is Deanston 18 yr (92.6pf) (and non-chill filtered, for those that thinks it makes a difference). This is a really nice highland whiskey. Lots of vanilla and honey, and maybe some citrus. A pleasant little bite to it and a very long finish. I would defs recommend this one.

The Deanston distillery is in an old textile mill. Interesting place.

So my daughter is getting married next week and her soon-to-be-husband likes his bourbon... I was thinking of getting him a bottle as a wedding day gift - something good and pretty expensive but maybe not outrageous. It would have to be something that is not too hard to find since I don't have that much time... Any suggestions?

So my daughter is getting married next week and her soon-to-be-husband likes his bourbon... I was thinking of getting him a bottle as a wedding day gift - something good and pretty expensive but maybe not outrageous. It would have to be something that is not too hard to find since I don't have that much time... Any suggestions?

I don't know what's available in NC these days (that's where you live, right?), but Four Roses Single Barrel is the gold standard for mid-shelf. Jefferson makes some great mid- to- top-ish- shelf stuff. My favorite is Rock Hill Farms, but it can be hard to find. If you see that, though, snap it up. That's chill of you to hook future son-in-law up, man.

Opened a bottle of Ragged Branch wheated bourbon on Saturday. VA based distillery, a friend picked up a bottle for me when he was visiting his mother. 90 proof and very smooth, had hints of apples and pears in the nose.

I agree with Strickland, Jefferson's is a good choice maybe the Ocean Aged, which isn't particularly worth the price tag, but is really unique and Bourbon guys hold it in high esteem.

Also, get him something cheap, and tell him to bury it upside down on the day of the wedding. Its an old southern tradition to ensure that it doesn't rain, and since he is a bourbon guy, he may appreciate incorporating it into the day.

I agree with Strickland, Jefferson's is a good choice maybe the Ocean Aged, which isn't particularly worth the price tag, but is really unique and Bourbon guys hold it in high esteem.

Also, get him something cheap, and tell him to bury it upside down on the day of the wedding. Its an old southern tradition to ensure that it doesn't rain, and since he is a bourbon guy, he may appreciate incorporating it into the day.

That’s an awesome tradition. Damn, I wish I did that (even though we avoided rain).

I personally think the Ocean Aged is a dumb gimmick and don’t care for it.

On my wedding day I had EH Taylor Single Barrel, which is probably my go to celebratory bourbon these days.

I personally think the Ocean Aged is a dumb gimmick and don’t care for it.

On my wedding day I had EH Taylor Single Barrel, which is probably my go to celebratory bourbon these days.

Of course its a gimmick, but its something unique which will make it memorable. Its still a bottle of Jefferson's, so its good bourbon. The gesture and the thought are nice enough. Lord knows my FIL didn't pay for a drink all weekend let alone get me a bottle.

On my wedding day we had a bottle of Whistle Pig Old World Cask, that I had brought with me, while we were getting ready. The bride told me she had planned on getting me a Bottle of Whistle Pig Boss Hog, but we ended up needing those funds.

I wasn't a fan of the Jefferson's Ocean. I think I had a bottle of Voyage 4? Gave half of it away.

Of course its a gimmick, but its something unique which will make it memorable. Its still a bottle of Jefferson's, so its good bourbon. The gesture and the thought are nice enough. Lord knows my FIL didn't pay for a drink all weekend let alone get me a bottle.

On my wedding day we had a bottle of Whistle Pig Old World Cask, that I had brought with me, while we were getting ready. The bride told me she had planned on getting me a Bottle of Whistle Pig Boss Hog, but we ended up needing those funds.

This. I don't think that Jefferson is close to the best, but scooter asked a specific question. Jefferson is widely available, is valued by bourbon lovers, and has a cool presentation. It's the perfect kind of gift for a son-in-law who loves bourbon. My MIL got me a bottle of OWA for our wedding, but we talk about liquor together often and it's also much easier to find on the west coast.

I thought you were supposed to bury the bourbon a month out from the wedding? My sister did it with Blanton's.

We didn't have that as my mother in law was ardently opposed to it, it was a big enough fight to get more than just champagne for a toast. But eventually we got a cocktail hour then wine and beer for the rest of the night when everyone told her that not having booze was ridiculous. Though it wasn't until one of her friends told her this that she actually listened.

I thought you were supposed to bury the bourbon a month out from the wedding? My sister did it with Blanton's.

We didn't have that as my mother in law was ardently opposed to it, it was a big enough fight to get more than just champagne for a toast. But eventually we got a cocktail hour then wine and beer for the rest of the night when everyone told her that not having booze was ridiculous. Though it wasn't until one of her friends told her this that she actually listened.

Burying a bottle of Blanton's is bold and risky.

Its good/expensive. People would probably try to steal it if they knew it was there.

Yeah but they did it in my parents’ backyard since the reception was held there. They didn’t want to do it at the church for that reason.

I don't know what's available in NC these days (that's where you live, right?), but Four Roses Single Barrel is the gold standard for mid-shelf. Jefferson makes some great mid- to- top-ish- shelf stuff. My favorite is Rock Hill Farms, but it can be hard to find. If you see that, though, snap it up. That's chill of you to hook future son-in-law up, man.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I got him a bottle of the Four Roses Single Barrel and a bottle of the Jefferson Ocean Aged... I agree with some of the later comments that the Ocean Aged thing is kind of silly - but it is something different and comes with a story about the voyage it took... He is a big boat and ocean person too so it seemed to fit. He seemed to like my choices and was appreciative.

The wedding came off perfectly - so all is well.

Back