• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Speaking of MGP, did a little head to head tonight. JD comes out the winner, ever so slightly. Had a longer finish and I preferred the mouthfeel ever so slightly to the BM. Lucky to have to choose between these bottles.

35226d17485297c4ed332ec74a228f3b.jpg

Not bourbon but sipping on Laphroaig 10 tonight. Three day weekend for myself coming up capped with going to the Panthers game on Sunday.

my review of AAA 10* that I posted to my bourbon group:

Drinking from the bottom self tonight - Ancient Ancient Age 10 star, courtesy of a friend back east.

Buffalo Trace Mash Bill 2, same as Blantons and ETL. Bottled at 90 proof, thought to be around 6 years old.

I drank it neat, in a Glencairn

Nose included honey, oak, fruit, corn

Tasted toffee, corn, rye

Short finish, low burn

Liked it more than I thought it would!

3092d0de8c524421c58f246db04cdcf6.jpg

Drinking from the bottom self tonight - Ancient Ancient Age 10 star, courtesy of a friend back east.

Buffalo Trace Mash Bill 2, same as Blantons and ETL. Bottled at 90 proof, thought to be around 6 years old.

Tasted toffee, corn, rye

Short finish, low burn

3092d0de8c524421c58f246db04cdcf6.jpg

I keep a bottle around for cooking and I always have a pour when I cook with it. That was my moms go to bourbon, which was the 10 year before they discontinued it. She only used it for making hot toddy's!

I keep a bottle around for cooking and I always have a pour when I cook with it. That was my moms go to bourbon, which was the 10 year before they discontinued it. She only used it for making hot toddy's!

Nice! I really haven't seen the AAA 10 star in Colorado at all, so this sample was a nice treat from a buddy.

Nice! I really haven't seen the AAA 10 star in Colorado at all, so this sample was a nice treat from a buddy.

It's really odd to see what is and what isn't available in different states. Eagle Rare is plentiful in NC, but I hear out west it is harder to come by.

It's really odd to see what is and what isn't available in different states. Eagle Rare is plentiful in NC, but I hear out west it is harder to come by.

Yeah, distribution is a funny thing. I've never had trouble finding Eagle Rare in the Denver metro, in fact there seem to be ER store picks popping up all the time out here.

I spent the weekend in Louisville, unfortunately I did not get to take in any of the distillery tours. I was pretty impressed with how well they have built up the downtown area. I was told that I was a week early and none of the liquor stores had received their allotments meaning I probably missed out on getting some bottles I can't get at home. If you are in Louisville Thursday afternoon you are in luck! I did make it home with a bottle of Willet Rye, which I love and have a hard time finding along with a couple other bottles that I don't see around here.

I can’t even find OGD BiB in Texas. Buffalo Trace is kept in the back and has to picked by a staffer.

Tasted toffee, corn, rye

Short finish, low burn

What year was the 10*?

Have a bottle of AAA 10 yr from the 80s and a bottle of AAA 10* from 93ish. Would be an interesting SBS. 10 yr is 86pf and 10* is 90pf. Might be tempted to open them up. The 10 yr has a low fill level but is still clear.

721d0aaf2b15d3b3b237495794ebcaed.jpg

Anyone have a favorite recipe for a bourbon-cider cocktail that would be easy to make a big batch of for thanksgiving festivities?

Anyone have a favorite recipe for a bourbon-cider cocktail that would be easy to make a big batch of for thanksgiving festivities?

Instead of going with whiskey, maybe look up something with an apple brandy (Laird's Apple Brandy BIB or Copper & Kings Apple Brandy - i think both should be readily available). That might fit in well with Thanksgiving...although I always have a little Wild Turkey on turkey day.

Or maybe there's some really cool cocktail that includes apple brandy and whiskey that you can share with the group. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something out there that Google might be able to find.

Instead of going with whiskey, maybe look up something with an apple brandy (Laird's Apple Brandy BIB or Copper & Kings Apple Brandy - i think both should be readily available). That might fit in well with Thanksgiving...although I always have a little Wild Turkey on turkey day.

Or maybe there's some really cool cocktail that includes apple brandy and whiskey that you can share with the group. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something out there that Google might be able to find.
any chance at another boards barrel B&D? i hope you've settled into your new(ish) gig

any chance at another boards barrel B&D? i hope you've settled into your new(ish) gig

I'd love to - we'd need to figure out a small tasting panel and all head up to Kentucky to do a tasting though. And even then, a lot of the big guys have cut back on their barrel programs to private groups - there's not enough money in them (it can still be done, they have just reduced how much they are doing). The big retailers will never be cut off, of course. They are moving all the bottles.

My other group has branched out a little bit - we've been doing some Armagnac, Brandy, Cognac, and Rum lately. Here's a rum that we recently did that is surprisingly good for a two year old rum (no sweeteners, coloring agents, etc added). I wish i bought more than two bottles!

fc51e02addd2b0bfe711a8a45f11db6e.jpg

What year was the 10*?

Have a bottle of AAA 10 yr from the 80s and a bottle of AAA 10* from 93ish. Would be an interesting SBS. 10 yr is 86pf and 10* is 90pf. Might be tempted to open them up. The 10 yr has a low fill level but is still clear.

Asked my buddy - he says current production / maybe 2015. He couldn't quite remember when he got the bottle, but definitely not a vintage one like you've got.

Has anyone had any of the products from Southern Grace Distillery? They are in Mount Pleasant, NC (northeast of Charlotte).

Has anyone had any of the products from Southern Grace Distillery? They are in Mount Pleasant, NC (northeast of Charlotte).

No, but a buddy of mine wants us to go tour it. I toured Old Nicks a few months back. Going to TN in April to tour JD and a few others in that area.

Back