• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whiskey 12 is Talisker 8 Year Old 2009 - Old Particular (Douglas Laing), 96.8pf. I like this a whole lot. Sweet, a little salty, a little peaty, a lovely tingle of heat. This is just a really really nice scotch.

Friday the 13th Chucky whiskey is Glenallachie 13 Year Old 2005 - Lady of the Glen (Hannah Whisky Merchants), a whopping 130.2pf. The alcohol doesn’t overpower the nose like I’d expect. It’s floral, almost like a sake. The alcohol is extremely apparent when you taste it. I still get some sake notes, more floral and some dried fruit. It’s really really interesting. I think I really like it. It doesn’t burn like a number of 130+ proof bourbons that I’ve had, but there is no getting away from the fact that this is diesel strength.

Whiskey 12 is Talisker 8 Year Old 2009 - Old Particular (Douglas Laing), 96.8pf. I like this a whole lot. Sweet, a little salty, a little peaty, a lovely tingle of heat. This is just a really really nice scotch.

Talisker is always a great winter-time Scotch for me. This one sounds quite tasty.

Jesus whiskey 14 is Mortlach 2009
10 Year Old Particular, 96.8pf. I get some buttery and fruity notes on the nose. Nice light peat and some peppery and citrusy flavors. A nice spicy burn, but not overpowering. It’s got some uniqueness to it. I like it quite a bit.

Whiskey 15 is Bruichladdich 16 Year Old 2002 - Single Cask, 125.2pf. Deep, but not overpowering peat, vanilla, dried fruits like raisins (it’s finished in sherry cask, so that’s the likely source). Also get some Christmasy spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Nice burn, but not too hot. This is quite lovely. Wouldn’t be a daily drinker for me, but it’s really, really good.

Whiskey 16 is Cameronbridge 36 Year Old 1982 (cask 8289) - His Excellency (Bartels Whisky), 103.8pf. Very rich and chocolaty. Like a desert whiskey. Nice light burn. Pretty thick feel to it. Simply outstanding.

Wife got me a bottle of George T. Stagg for Christmas.

Got to open it early to celebrate the end the work year.

We’ve finally got a guy.

Defs a fan of GTS. How hot is the one you have? It’s typically pretty diesel.

Whiskey 17 is Tamdhu 11 Year Old 2007 (cask 6833) - Lady of the Glen (Hannah Whisky Merchants), 122.2pf. Love the nose on this. Burnt citrus and butter, like a fresh biscuit. A fair amount of heat, but I like it. I get dark sweetness like caramel and more biscuits. I’m not sure if I’ve ever thought a whiskey smelled or tasted biscuity, but that’s what I get. I really like it. More of a daily drinker than others would be.

Defs a fan of GTS. How hot is the one you have? It’s typically pretty diesel.

Apparently this year none of the BTAC bourbons got their normal highs (also no info released that allow production estimates).

I think it’s 116.9.

Whiskey 18 is Kilchoman 6 Year 2012 Wine Finished Single Cask Release, 113.8pf. Not overly peaty on the nose but most more peaty when I taste it. I defs get some hint of fresh fruits that I assume are from the wine cask. I also get some spice like allspice or something. It’s quite good, especially for being so young, but it’s got a burn I wouldn’t expect. Not like a diesel GTS burn, but defs a burn. I think this is another one that may actually be better at a slightly lower proof.

Jesus Whiskey 19 is Glenturret 14 Year Old 2001 - Highland Laird (Bartels Whisky), 108pf. I get some sweetness on the nose, kind of like a birthday cake. Defs a burn from the alcohol, but quite rich and deep. Lightly sweet, oaky, a little spicy. I like it a lot. I would drink this any day.

Whiskey 20 is Dailuaine 10 Year Old 2007 - Old Particular (Douglas Laing), 92pf. This is very light in color. Earthy and sweet smelling. Very complex. I get a lot of spices, like nutmeg and allspice and ginger, some oak and fruit, some honey. A lot going on with nothing overpowering. This is really interesting and really nice. Big fan for sure.

I’ve had a long few months but today I finished off my last big project for the year and I’m done for 2019. Time for a pour of the special occasion whiskey - 2013 TH Handy. It’s airing out for a bit now in the glencairn to mellow off the ~130 proof before drinking but smells like vanilla, dill, brown sugar, split oak firewood and relief.

Yeah, that’s good stuff. Wish I had a bottle. I don’t have any BTAC at all of any kind anymore.

In the home stretch now. Jesus Whiskey 21 is Girvan 30 Year Old 1988 - Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing), 116.2pf. Oh man, this is nice. Light vanilla and oak on the nose. Sweet, fruity, honey and other wonderful flavors. This is an out-fucking-standing scotch. Doesn’t feel close to being 116pf but I love that it is. This is mellow and complex and just lovely. There is nothing I don’t like about this whiskey. I need more.

Jesus whiskey 22 is Tipperary 8 Year Old 2008 Irish Whiskey - Red Wine Cask Finish, 119pf. Kind of surprised to get one so young this late in the game. Smells nice though, kind of fruity. The alcohol defs comes through, but it tastes pretty rich and very fruity and floral. Quite a creamy feel to it. I like it quite a bit and would drink this on the regular if I could find it.

Last edited:
Wake County ABC just dropped 3 bottles of Stagg Sr, plus 1792 Full Proof, Buffalo Trace and Blanton's at every store in the county. Was#2 in line and got a Stagg Sr. Great way to start Christmas!

Whiskey 23 is Staoisha 5 Year Old 2013 - The Single Cask, 118.6pf. I’m once again shocked to have such a young whiskey this close to the end. That’s not how they usually go. But here we go. This is very light in color, just a tinge of yellow. Smells smoky with some tropical fruit. Pretty nice taste once you get past the heat, with more tropical fruit and some baking spices. It’s also a little salty. I like it fine, but of the 23 I’ve had I would defs put this in the bottom quartile. Maybe another 5-10 years in barrel will mellow this out a bit. Still not sure the thinking with this one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Final baby Jesus whiskey of the year is Glen Spey 21 Year Old 1997 - Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing), 102.2pf. This is also very light in color. Sweet smelling and chocolaty. Wonderful tasting, more chocolate, lightly oaky, vanilla. This very long finish and a nice pleasant burn. This is a lovely scotch and I would love to have more. A nice end to another fun calendar. Cheers until next year.

Back