• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Wfudkn - what was your favorite this year? I always look forward to reading through your posts each advent. Are these easily accessible and affordable bottles or are they pricey?

Apparently this year none of the BTAC bourbons got their normal highs (also no info released that allow production estimates).

I think it’s 116.9.

Wow - didn’t realize this year’s GTS was that low proof. Post some thoughts/tasting notes once you get into it!

Wfudkn - what was your favorite this year? I always look forward to reading through your posts each advent. Are these easily accessible and affordable bottles or are they pricey?

I think Nos. 16 and 21 were my favs, with maybe 24 in third. Most of these aren’t available right now due to some new difficulties for some companies to ship into the US, but they can probably be found somewhere. Master of Malt has had issues shipping to the US for a couple years now, but almost all are on their site. The price varies, but I think most would be £75-100, with a few being higher (maybe closer to £200). In all the years we’ve been doing the calendars I’ve purchased a few online. Usually I forget to follow up with myself. But I do use this thread as my own personal log to see if I’ve had something when i come across something and I can’t remember if I’ve had it, or something similar.

Not too much activity over the past couple of months. I personally haven't had anything to drink since the first week of January as I'm trying to start the year out a little healthier, but I hope the rest of y'all have been picking up the slack!

Not too much activity over the past couple of months. I personally haven't had anything to drink since the first week of January as I'm trying to start the year out a little healthier, but I hope the rest of y'all have been picking up the slack!
Tried the Kirkland bourbon and was unimpressed. I did find a killer vermouth for manhattans though - Carpano Antica.

For those that haven't seen it, I posted a poll in the bourbon section to see if there is enough interest to explore doing another barrel pick:

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...-Second-Barrel

I have been in touch with a retailer about our group possibly doing a second barrel to gauge how their pricing works.  He said that his pricing starts at retail and works backwards, but typically falls in the 15% off of retail range (some a little more, some a little less).  

He would also be able to handle shipping (that makes it much easier on me), but that's where the pricing variation comes into play.  For example, if we end up with 200 bottles, it's much easier to ship those 200 bottles to 30 people than it is to ship 200 bottles to 200 people.  For folks in the Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta/etc areas it might make sense to combine orders where possible.

If we do want to move forward, the next thing would be to determine the type of spirit we want.  Do we want to stick with bourbon or go with something else?  My other group has done a few bottles of rum lately (Privateer Rum and Richland Rum) and both have been very good.  

Anyway, I just wanted to get this conversation started again to see if there is any interest in a second barrel.

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I like Woodford. Is that why the link doesn't work for me?

Not sure if I've posted this before...even if I have it's probably time for a refresher for any whiskey nerds that are interested.

Mashbill Source: Regan & Regan, The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys (London: Mixellany) 2009, unless otherwise noted. Barton, WT, and Dickel are noted as approximate.

Brand Name (%corn/%rye or wheat/%malted barley)

Whiskey Tree, 5.2

Note: These tree is only a breakdown of "macro" distillers

Barton-1792, #3 char, Independent Stave

Barton (75/15/10)- Very Old Barton all proofs +???

1792 (high barley?)- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???

Other Bourbons: Tom Moore BiB, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Ten High, Walker's Delluxe, other "cats & dogs".The rest, unknown

Rye 37/53/10? (speculation based on label of High West Double Rye!)- Fleischman's Rye

Before it was purchased by Sazerac, sold to a lot of NDPs.

Beam, #4 char, Independent Stave

Beam Mashbill (76/13/10)- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's

Old Grandad Mashbill (63/27/10)- OGD, Basil Hayden

Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt, Ri¹, Knob Creek Rye

Brown-Forman, #3 char, Brown-Forman Cooperage

Old Forester (72/18/10)- Old Forester, Woodford Reserve

Early Times (79/11/10)

Jack Daniels (80/8/12)

Rye (see Heaven Hill below)- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.

Also sells to many NDPs.

Buffalo Trace, #4 char, Independent Stave

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Col. E.H. Taylor, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee*, Hancock*, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms*, Virginia Gentleman/Bowman Bourbons?

Wheat bourbon: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*, Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o*

Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye* (?)

Diageo, char #3, Indpendent Stave

Dickel (80/12/8)George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

Four Roses, #3.5 char, Independent Stave

Has 2 mashbills and 5 yeasts.

All Ten Combinations- Four Roses (yellow label)

OBSK, OBSO, OESK, OESO- Four Roses Small Batch

OBSV- Four Roses Single Barrel

All the combinations are also available as Single Barrel, Barrel Strength retailer bottlings.

Also sells whiskey to Diageo that goes into Bulleit (from the high rye OBS recipes) and I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.) and produces the overseas version of McKenna. For more information, including mashbills, see Oscar's chart here.

Heaven Hill, #3 char, Indpendent Stave

Rye Bourbon (75/13/12)- Heaven Hill, J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), etc. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line and the current Yellowstone.

Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.

Wheat Whiskey- Bernheim Original

Rye Whiskey (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Future source of Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, Stephen Foster, current source of Pikesville, Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)

Corn Whiskey: Mellow Corn, JW Corn, Georgia Moon, Dixie Dew, Platte Valley*

Also sells to many NDPs.

MGP/LDI, ??? char, Independent Stave?

Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, Redemption et al, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the MGP website: http://www.mgpingredients.com/product-list/

Maker's Mark, #3 char, Independent Stave

Maker's Mark (70/16/14)

Wild Turkey, #4 "the heavy char", Independent Stave

Bourbon (75/13/12)- Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Bourbon

Rye (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye

Brands on the market with whiskey from closed distilleries:

Medley Rye- Older bottlings of Hirsch, post-PA Michter's(?), Black Maple Hill rye, others?

Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye (Bernheim distillery)- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye.

Stitzel-Weller bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle (20 & 23 only?), Jefferson's Reserve 17, 18, Vintage 17 etc

A few American bottlers and/or marketers have been purchasing 100% rye rye from a Canadian distillery or distilleries. It is often presumed these are from Alberta distillers in Calgary, but as of yet there is no firm evidence. So far, these are Whistle Pig, Jefferson's and Masterson's Rye. Jefferson's may be switching to American-made rye.

*Brand(s) not wholly owned by the distiller.

**Based on more current information.

PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS/CONTROVERSIES: Regan & Regan list an approximate mashbill for all the bourbons made at "Ancient Age Distillery" as 80/10/10. That can't be right, but which mashbill does that represent, #1 or #2?

Also, a mashbill of 75/20/5 is listed for Old Fitz, Weller and Rebel Yell while at Bernheim. What is the current mashbill?

How much Stitzel-Weller is in Pappys 20 & 23, if any? Also how much of what is being marketed as S-W was really made at Bernheim?

How much Medley and Cream of Kentucky Rye does VWFRR contain, and how much Buffalo Trace distillate?

Are the Bowman bourbons really made from mashbill #2?

Have had a good run in NC lately...found Dickel 13 year bottled in bond in Chocowinity, and 4R Small Batch Select and Elijah Craig Rye in Fletcher. Fletcher also had Kentucky Owl which I passed on. Supposedly there is EC 18 year floating around the state but reviews are mixed for the $130 tag.

Have had a good run in NC lately...found Dickel 13 year bottled in bond in Chocowinity, and 4R Small Batch Select and Elijah Craig Rye in Fletcher. Fletcher also had Kentucky Owl which I passed on. Supposedly there is EC 18 year floating around the state but reviews are mixed for the $130 tag.

Can confirm. My BiL picked up a bottle.

Back