• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Have had a good run in NC lately...found Dickel 13 year bottled in bond in Chocowinity, and 4R Small Batch Select and Elijah Craig Rye in Fletcher. Fletcher also had Kentucky Owl which I passed on. Supposedly there is EC 18 year floating around the state but reviews are mixed for the $130 tag.

How do you like the FR SmB Select? I’ve only had one bottle but thought it was pretty solid. Will probably pick another one up sometime in the near future.

How do you like the FR SmB Select? I’ve only had one bottle but thought it was pretty solid. Will probably pick another one up sometime in the near future.

Haven't broken this bottle open yet but had two pours in Austin in January and really liked it. Feel like the only question I need to resolve when I open this bottle is whether it's worth $60 which is the same price as ECBP in NC (which I love).

NY is saying liquor stores are "essential" and can stay open.

That's setting priorities correctly.

1ff0d3e41d7d34bb16b97f434f935fa4.jpg

So I am doing QuaranTime near Folly Beach, with she-who-must-be-quarantined, while trying to practice law remotely. I went yesterday to the liquor store near here, figuring I would pick up a case of Four Roses or Makers Mark. Liquor store can’t sell it to me. Not because they won’t, but because they don’t have on a Saturday afternoon a case worth of Makers or Four Roses. They got some really bad bourbon, but no decent sipping bourbon.

Buying regular production booze by the case for a household of two may have more problems than sales limitations.

Where’s this thread been?

Anyway, Bernheim wheat whiskey sucks. Following a nice EC store pick with this is a disappointment. I really need to get to a store soon.

So a friend and I have jumped in to doing whiskey reviews. Focusing on products from VA, TN, NC and SC. Figured it was a good excuse to drink and try products we'd normally not try.

www.rickhouseramblings.com

Give us a read if you're bored and want a good laugh at some guys trying to sound intelligent about whiskey.

So a friend and I have jumped in to doing whiskey reviews. Focusing on products from VA, TN, NC and SC. Figured it was a good excuse to drink and try products we'd normally not try.

Give us a read if you're bored and want a good laugh at some guys trying to sound intelligent about whiskey.

Good stuff!
Garden & Gun had a blurb on Courage single malt from Virginia Distillery in Lovingston, VA. Keep that one on your radar, as I travel that way and wanted to check it out if it's not too skunky; more of a bourbon guy.

Good stuff!
Garden & Gun had a blurb on Courage single malt from Virginia Distillery in Lovingston, VA. Keep that one on your radar, as I travel that way and wanted to check it out if it's not too skunky; more of a bourbon guy.

Thanks! We do have VA Distillery on our radar, but like you, I'm a bourbon guy. We met last night to review a Belle Meade expression and he poured me a little Highland Park 12 year afterwards. I just have not found a Scotch that I enjoy, so I'm hesitant I'll like any single malt offerings from the US.

RIP your tastebuds. “Craft” distilling whiskey is lol bad IMO. Unless it’s sourced.

If you get a reasonable following, you should hit up the distillers for interviews and free product.

Sandy should be able to get you a vat of Willet's. I'll send you a straw.

If you get a reasonable following, you should hit up the distillers for interviews and free product.

Thanks! That's the goal eventually. We've built a pretty good relationship with a couple local distilleries and working on more in VA. Ragged Branch in VA has been pretty open with us and the owner hopped on a call with us. The CEO of Uncle Nearest was engaging us on Instagram and was very supportive of our review.

COVID has impacted us a little, we had a trip planned to TN a couple weeks ago that we had to cancel and we haven't had a chance to drive down to SC to buy any of their local products so we're limited a little right now.

Back