• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Got the weekly email from Garden and Gun that mentions somewhere called Sutlers Spirit Co in Winston. Anybody familiar with their Gin?

http://www.sutlersspiritco.com/

Sutlers makes good gin. They are in the same building as Hoots and the Porch. You can likely find it all around NC, and some of SC I believe. Last time I was over that way they had talked about making some other liquors, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Thanks! That's the goal eventually. We've built a pretty good relationship with a couple local distilleries and working on more in VA. Ragged Branch in VA has been pretty open with us and the owner hopped on a call with us. The CEO of Uncle Nearest was engaging us on Instagram and was very supportive of our review.

COVID has impacted us a little, we had a trip planned to TN a couple weeks ago that we had to cancel and we haven't had a chance to drive down to SC to buy any of their local products so we're limited a little right now.

I read your Ragged Branch review and immediately ordered a couple bottles. Be sure to take credit... Now that Virginia ships booze I’ve been on the lookout for decent local bourbons. Bowman was solid.

I read your Ragged Branch review and immediately ordered a couple bottles. Be sure to take credit... Now that Virginia ships booze I’ve been on the lookout for decent local bourbons. Bowman was solid.

Thanks! Bowman's is good. I've got a bottle I bought a couple years ago. Currently re-doing my bar so I have a lot of my bourbon boxed up. I'll need to pull it out for a review.

Wife picked me up a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel.

Has anybody tried the Wheatley Vodka? My local shop has limited better bottles to buying in packages.

He has to buy so many bottles to get access to the good stuff and has a glut of other product.

If you buy 1792 and Wheatley then that’s the golden ticket to the more rare bottles. (Nothing earth shattering).

Has anybody tried the Wheatley Vodka? My local shop has limited better bottles to buying in packages.

He has to buy so many bottles to get access to the good stuff and has a glut of other product.

If you buy 1792 and Wheatley then that’s the golden ticket to the more rare bottles. (Nothing earth shattering).

I think I had some last time I was in Kentucky at Buffalo Trace. Tasted like regular vodka to me.

I have never understood paying up for boutique vodka. Vodka is supposed to be a flavorless spirit. Plus who sips vodka? You either shoot it superchilled, which deadens the sense of taste, or mix it into a cocktail which will cover up whatever alleged taste the vodka might have. My go to brand is Pearl.

Also of note: "Pursuant to the Code of Federal Regulations (27 CFR 5.22), which define the identity standards for various alcohols, vodka is in the class of neutral spirits and is defined as: "neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color"."

Last edited:
I know that is supposed to be true but it isn't. That said you won't beat smirnoff or russian standard on taste and feel with your more expensive ones, but shitty vodka definitely tastes and feels worse.

Mainly been drinking WhistlePig 10 during quarantine. Probably will have some Stagg next week to celebrate my birthday.

Not drinking much bourbon, but continuing to pick up bottles. Recent acquisitions include:

-4R single barrel (club pick)
-16 year Armagnac single barrel (club pick)
-AD Laws single barrel (club pick)
-Weller Full Proof store pick

Just finished my second and last Oak & Cedar society 1792 Full Proof pick, sad day! Tried a sip of Sutler's gin at a brewery this week and it was quite nice, grabbed a bottle for $30. The Ragged Branch single barrel sounds really intriguing based on the reviews deacfan78 linked -think it's worth a shot!

Just opened a bottle of Old Weller 107 I’ve had for probably 5 or 6 years since before bourbon hunting started getting extra weird. Why not it’s Friday and I could lose my taste to Covid any day now. It’s good for sure but upon first tasting it’s not dramatically different than the wild turkey 101 I had just before this. Put a gun to my head, I’d say the WT was better today.

Now we’ll see if it changes as it gets more air or when I use proper glassware but this is a reminder that my one time “house” bourbon that I used to always have in a decanter is just that. Not a particularly special unicorn worth whatever the hell people pay for this now.

Tried Breckinridge for the first time the other night and it’s fine? I don’t know, I heard a lot of hype but it didn’t live up to that (or the price point).

Tried Breckinridge for the first time the other night and it’s fine? I don’t know, I heard a lot of hype but it didn’t live up to that (or the price point).

I thought the first year or so that Breckenridge was released it was great, very unique character to it. Today's version seems like just your average decent slightly overpriced bourbon. Heard some conflicting reports from folks in the know as to why that is but they both agreed.

Is there a "great bourbon" thread. I think that's where I belong. Btw, there is more than one Breckenridge. If the one you are drinking is below 90%, it's not Breckenridge's fault you're cheap.

Know these four words and you too will make asshole posts to people you don't know:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Soooooo good.

Back