• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

How's the Weller FP? I recently discovered Weller SR this past winter and love it. Spouse splurged for the Weller 12yr for my bday and it is amazeballs.

Batch C919? That one is truly a top shelf. 136.8 proof. I finished one bottle and have another on the shelf. The new batch, B520 is getting incredible reviews similar to C919. Will probably be this fall before it shows in NC though.

I got a bottle of Rebel Yell Distiller's Choice from a whiskey bar in Raleigh today. The really interesting part - actually paid for and picked up the bottle at the bar. Didn't know that was even allowed in NC. It's a private barrel selection, just over 4 years old, 113 proof, $39.95. Oddly I can't find a single review or discussion of this Rebel Yell series anywhere on-line, including reddit.

Excited to try the Ragged Branch pick soon!

Yeah, I got 3 of the C919. Incredible smooth for how big it is. The A120 doesn't quite stack up but it's still very good. TY for the scouting report on the B520. I'll be on the lookout.

How's the Weller FP? I recently discovered Weller SR this past winter and love it. Spouse splurged for the Weller 12yr for my bday and it is amazeballs.

This is a single barrel, but it's good. Really good. I haven't had regular FP, so I'm not sure how this barrel compares.

I would caveat all that by saying it's not worth paying secondary for; nice bottle and if you like weller bourbons and see it on the shelf, go ahead and pick it up. People have gone full tater for these and I don't get it. I got this bottle at retail; would not pay more than that for it.

If they want to make Bernheim into the next tater craze then please go for it. Stuff is underwhelming at best and downright gross depending on what I had right before it. But if folks scour the earth for that, maybe it’ll free up some McKenna again.

For my birthday my wife got me some Elmer T Lee Single Barrel and Bakers 7 Year Single Barrel.

So it’s that time of year again! Jesus is giving me whiskey on a daily basis for the next 24 days. Up first is the Balvenie 21 yr port wood finish (80pf). I’ve had this a handful of times and I’ve may have even written about it on this thread years ago, but I’m always interested in how things can taste different at different times. But this is a very tasty scotch. Very slightly smoky, I get some tartness and some fruitiness. No real bite to speak of. Excellent easy drinker. Good start to the calendar.

As a Statesville boy, I hope Southern Star has been mentioned in this thread. I would search, but Ive never figured out how to search so that you find the posts with the keywords - only the threads come up.

I'm a newbie to whiskey but have enjoyed trying to learn about it and have been tying a few lately. Sorry for the stupid question, but is straight way to do it? Or what other options are best? I guess real men drink it straight - which is probably why I ask for other options lol.

As a Statesville boy, I hope Southern Star has been mentioned in this thread. I would search, but Ive never figured out how to search so that you find the posts with the keywords - only the threads come up.

I'm a newbie to whiskey but have enjoyed trying to learn about it and have been tying a few lately. Sorry for the stupid question, but is straight way to do it? Or what other options are best? I guess real men drink it straight - which is probably why I ask for other options lol.

It very much depends on the actual whiskey you’re drinking as well as personal preference. For the very high end aged stuff neat is usually the way for me. Most I prefer to drink with the big cubes, I have one of those rubber trays that makes four giant ice cubes that are great. Others prefer a few drops of water to get the liquor to open up a bit. Whatever way you like it — enjoy!

This is a pinned Tweet on my account from Bourbon & Banter.

"There is no ‘best Bourbon,’ ‘best year’ or even ‘best distillery,’ no matter how experienced, respected or famous the recommender is. There is only what is best for YOU. Once you learn to taste more and listen less, your Bourbon journey will find its correct path."

Regarding Southern Star, I've sampled their bourbon but need to pick up bottle, but it is a little pricey, but really not much higher than any other local craft distillery. I did buy a bottle of their coffee bourbon cream and it is pretty damn good!

Jesus whiskey day 2 is Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Reserva Rum Cask Finish (40pf). Well this is absolutely lovely. Lots of burnt orange and honey and cinnamon. Tons of sweetness, but it’s not overpowering or distracting. Very smooth and very little bite. Long finish. A really, really great pour.

And to answer your question above, it is definitely personal preference, but I exclusively drink whiskey neat. Not a manly thing, just what I like.

My Jesus whiskey selections this year are single barrel samplers, first was a cask strength Whistle Pig Rye 10 year. Delightful.

Also agree - drink it how you like it. Don't feel pressured to drink everything neat, even the biggest bourbon snobs I've met add water sometimes. My preference is a glencairn whiskey glass and add a few drops to open up an 80 proof whiskey, more water the higher the proof goes. Some need less, more, or none. Just depends.

Day 2 is Artful Dodger 15 year, good example of a higher proof whiskey that doesn't need much water.

My Jesus whiskey selections this year are single barrel samplers, first was a cask strength Whistle Pig Rye 10 year. Delightful.

Also agree - drink it how you like it. Don't feel pressured to drink everything neat, even the biggest bourbon snobs I've met add water sometimes. My preference is a glencairn whiskey glass and add a few drops to open up an 80 proof whiskey, more water the higher the proof goes. Some need less, more, or none. Just depends.

Day 2 is Artful Dodger 15 year, good example of a higher proof whiskey that doesn't need much water.

Whistlepig 10 is delicious

My mom is doing that box. She liked the WP 10 as well. I haven't had it in a few years, so I don't really remember it that well. I think that the whiskeys have changed a bit over the years as the distillery is using more an more of it's own stock in the blends and less sourced from Canada, so I should probs try it again.

Yeah I happened to have a recently purchased WP 10 on my shelf but not the older cask strength version that came in the box, so it was cool to compare.

Whiskey day 3 is something I’ve never seen before. Mackmyra Moment Prestige (92.2pf). This is a Swedish whiskey, aged 11 years in casks that were used previously for champagne. Pretty excited since I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Slightly buttery and nutty on the nose. Tastes is a little herbal, a little sweet and maybe a little peachy. A nice light burn to it. No smoke that I can sense. I really like it a lot. I’m gonna see if I can find a bottle.

Jesus whiskey 4 is Glenfarclas 25 yr (86pf). This is aged in oloroso casks and the sherry is definitely there. I get orange and maybe a little mint, and it’s a little nutty. Very smooth with a little bit of heat at the end. Really nice whiskey for sure. Wouldn’t say that it’s truly remarkable or interesting, but it’s certainly delicious.

Back