• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whiskey 5 is Peat’s Beast (104.2pf). This is not my jam. Very sweet up front, lots of smoke, like burnt wood. And the finish tastes, I shit you not, exactly like chloraseptic and has the same numbing effect. This is a weird one, and one I hope to not have again.

Whiskey 6 is the Dalmore 18 yr (86 pf). Sweet smelling, kind of a peanut like taste to it. Very smooth, maybe a hint of bread or something like that on the finish. This is a nice whiskey to be sure, just not sure it’s a spectacular whiskey. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s not the most interesting or complex.

Whiskey 7 is Jura 21 year Tide Time (93.4 pf). This one is quite good and different than the others so far. Gingery and buttery and biscuity. Kind of full bodied with a nice burn at the end. Me gusta mucho.

The Doc Porter's Rye - local distillery out of Charlotte - is a really tasty, yet upper-middle shelf and affordable rye. Doc Porter's does a good bourbon as well but I prefer their rye.

Whiskey 8 is The Dalmore King Alexander III (80 pf). Apparently this is a blend that includes whiskies aged in six different types of casks (bourbon, port, sherry, Madeira, Marsala and Cabernet). Decently sweet with a fair amount of baking spices, but seems a little flat for me. Very smooth and tasty, but just not as complex or interesting as I had hoped after reading the description. For me it’s defs not worth the hefty price that a bottle goes for.

Jesus Whiskey 9 is Yoichi (90pf) out of Hokkaido. This is owned by Nikka, which does produce some good stuff, generally. This is a NAS blend as far as I can tell. It’s lightly peaty, maybe a little citrusy. It’s not overly complex, but it’s a nice drinking whiskey. Could definitely throw back a number of these with ease.

Just tried an Aberfeldy 18 Limited Edition. It is finished in red wine casks from Bordeaux. Very nice.

I had a friend of mine who usually drinks higher-end bourbons (Blanton's, Booker's, E.H. Taylor etc..) tell me that he had someone pour him some Ancient Ancient Age and it blew his mind. I've had regular Ancient Age when I had a fake ID and even then I found it disgusting. Has anyone ever tried the Ancient Ancient Age? Again, this recommendation was from a guy who routinely drinks what I personally consider good bourbons and whiskeys. For reference, he gave me a bottle of Sazerac Rye a few weeks ago which I LOVED. Just wanted to see if he was yanking my chain or if there was some validity to his tip.

I had a friend of mine who usually drinks higher-end bourbons (Blanton's, Booker's, E.H. Taylor etc..) tell me that he had someone pour him some Ancient Ancient Age and it blew his mind. I've had regular Ancient Age when I had a fake ID and even then I found it disgusting. Has anyone ever tried the Ancient Ancient Age? Again, this recommendation was from a guy who routinely drinks what I personally consider good bourbons and whiskeys. For reference, he gave me a bottle of Sazerac Rye a few weeks ago which I LOVED. Just wanted to see if he was yanking my chain or if there was some validity to his tip.

I think that some bourbons just hit an individual's taste buds nicely. As an example I love Blanton's and Booker and those great bourbons and also absolutely love plain old Elijah Craig and it's vanilla taste.

Easy pass for me. The old AAA can be pretty damn good; at one point it carried a 10 year age statement, but the stuff you can find today is not good. If I'm buying bottom shelf Buffalo Trace, I'd much rather just get Buffalo Trace.

Whiskey 10 is The Lost Distilleries Blend Batch 11 (104.6 pf). I’ve liked the Lost Distilleries range that I’ve tried in the past. These are blends created from distilleries that have shuttered but that have had barrels lying around. This is a blend of malt whisky from Caperdonich, Rosebank, Imperial, Mosstowie, Glen Mhor, Glenisla, Glenlochy, Craigduff, Port Ellen and Brora, along with grain whisky from Port Dundas. The nose is really strong and complex. Maybe banana bread and vanilla. The taste also has a lot going on with it. Honey, dried fruit, vanilla, a little oaky a little fudgey. Nice heat to it. This is definitely the most interesting whiskey so far in the box and also my favorite. I want more of this. Now. Fuck. This is my jam.

I think that some bourbons just hit an individual's taste buds nicely. As an example I love Blanton's and Booker and those great bourbons and also absolutely love plain old Elijah Craig and it's vanilla taste.

Eli small batch is one of my favorites as well. I was at a bourbon bar in Tennessee and they had everything under the sun, but my first pour was Eli. Everyone I was with turned their noses up and went for the rare selections (which I moved on to later). I'll never forgive myself for paying 14 damn dollars for some Eli though...

Easy pass for me. The old AAA can be pretty damn good; at one point it carried a 10 year age statement, but the stuff you can find today is not good. If I'm buying bottom shelf Buffalo Trace, I'd much rather just get Buffalo Trace.

I asked him if he was drinking a bottle with the 10 year age statement and he said the guy who poured it had been sitting on the bottle for years. So it could have possibly been the old AAA.

I’ve had few EC barrel proofs lying around for a while that I should open at some point. But at 139.8 pf they are some hot hot heat. Took me a little while to get through the one bottle of it I did open.

Nothing wrong with proofing your own whiskey with a little water. Drinking straight almost 140 seems crazy to me. I'll splash a little water in my 100, but I think I'm getting weak in my old age.

Whiskey 11 is Bourbon Whiskey #1 24 Year Old (96 pf) from That Boutique-y Whisky Company. I like the stuff this company puts out. They “bottle single malts, single grains and bourbons from a variety of renowned distilleries as well as producing award-winning blended malts and blends.” A couple years ago we did the advent calendar that was all their stuff and I liked it a lot.

This one is really interesting. Kinds of reminds me of an armagnac in a way. Lots of vanilla and caramel. Wouldn’t be surprised if it saw time in sherry casks since I get that kind of raisiny/fruity thing. It’s quite complex with a lot of different flavors showing up. Nice burn to it too. I like it a lot. It’s borderline exceptional.

I think this may be Heaven Hill. It reminds me of a bottle of HH I have that was finished in curaçao casks, but this is defs way older than that bottle and way better.

These are annual advent calendars from Drinks by the Dram. There are a number of places you can get them online. We used to get them from Master of Malt, but a couple of years ago they decided that they couldn’t ship to the US anymore. But there are 24 one ounce bottles in wash box. And there are a number of different boxes. This year’s box is the premium whiskey box.

Back