• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Last one. Jesus whiskey 24 is The Blended Whisky Company’s The Half-Century Blend - Batch 3 (94.6 pf). Every whiskey in this blend is at least 50 yrs old. It’s very very smooth. Lots of oak for a scotch, but not the kind of oak-bomb that I loathe. It’s got a little bit of sweetness, but just a touch. A fair amount of vanilla from the wood, and maybe some leathery kind of smells/tastes. It’s a very nice Scotch whiskey for sure. Great way to end the calendar.

Chat Thread cross-post. Brother gifted me a 15 year Knob Creek. Planning to crack it open later and will report back.

My friend just dropped off bottle 568 of the first batch ever of Fisher's bourbon. Don't know if good or not.. will report back!
1a10132897a00f527d06c251f911bb50.jpg

Bought my in-laws a bottle of Fishers Christmas Whiskey and I just finished a pour. Pretty good, baking spices and cranberry, very bright.

My Dad got me the book Pappyland by Wright Thompson for Christmas and I’m really enjoying it so far. Thompson is such a great story teller and I’m learning a lot of bourbon history even after my trip to do the bourbon trail last year. Book is filled with a lot of fun and interesting anecdotes.

Pappyland is good and informative but Thompson drifts a little far into his politics. It left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

A buddy of mine has recently dived headfirst into the world of bourbon. He buys anything and everything that catches his eye and then gives me the bottles he doesn't enjoy. I know, some friend. But I never turn down free whiskey. He's given me some damn good bottles that he didn't enjoy like Eagle Rare, Willett Rye, and Peerless Rye. I am usually familiar with most of the bottles he brings me but he's going to bring me a bottle of Smooth Ambler Contradiction this weekend and I have never heard of this one. I think I saw that it's distilled in WV? Anyone ever try this stuff?

A buddy of mine has recently dived headfirst into the world of bourbon. He buys anything and everything that catches his eye and then gives me the bottles he doesn't enjoy. I know, some friend. But I never turn down free whiskey. He's given me some damn good bottles that he didn't enjoy like Eagle Rare, Willett Rye, and Peerless Rye. I am usually familiar with most of the bottles he brings me but he's going to bring me a bottle of Smooth Ambler Contradiction this weekend and I have never heard of this one. I think I saw that it's distilled in WV? Anyone ever try this stuff?

It's a blend - Smooth Ambler uses whiskey they distill and whiskey they source to make it.

I've had it before and didn't love it. It's a bit overpriced in my opinion, but as a free bottle, enjoy!

My Dad got me the book Pappyland by Wright Thompson for Christmas and I’m really enjoying it so far. Thompson is such a great story teller and I’m learning a lot of bourbon history even after my trip to do the bourbon trail last year. Book is filled with a lot of fun and interesting anecdotes.

Pappyland is good and informative but Thompson drifts a little far into his politics. It left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I also got this book for Christmas and I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I'm really enjoying it - some interesting behind the scenes information on the evolution of the (modern) bourbon industry. I'm not noticing any politics, but maybe I'm just not paying attention. Highly recommend.

It's a blend - Smooth Ambler uses whiskey they distill and whiskey they source to make it.

I've had it before and didn't love it. It's a bit overpriced in my opinion, but as a free bottle, enjoy!

Depending on when you had it, they changed the blended ages a couple of years ago and the newer version of Contradiction is much better imo. Still not great, but the original stuff was way too young.

Help!! Not a bourbon guy, more of a single malt guy but I'd like to get a good bottle for when my bourbon buddies stop by.
Someone suggested Woodford Reserve. Would that work or is there a better choice in that price range? Thanks.

I like Knob Creek better than Woodford. If they like something stronger, for about $10-20 more, you can get Bookers or Bakers. Each has higher proof.

Back