• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I'm dipping my toe in rye. I like Bulliet rye and Rittenhouse. Tried the local Broad Branch Rye Fidelity and wasn't a fan but it made a great Old Fashioned.

I've been destroying Whistlepig 12 and High West Rendezvous Rye for the last few months much to my bank accounts detriment.

How is this thread 10 years old? Search function says I haven't posted in it since September 2011, but that doesn't seem right to me.

My wife likes her bourbon, but I don't particularly like my wife when she likes her bourbon because she talks non-stop.

Has anybody made note of Balcones in the 300 pages of this thread (I thought I had, but search function says otherwise)? Wifey had an interest in it because it was based out of Waco and she went to Baylor, but everything I've had from them is solid. Their Rumble is my fave, but their bourbon is also quite drinkable. Not sure about their availability outside of Texas, however. Normally runs in the $40-50 range for a fifth, but the specialty stuff runs higher.

How is this thread 10 years old? Search function says I haven't posted in it since September 2011, but that doesn't seem right to me.

My wife likes her bourbon, but I don't particularly like my wife when she likes her bourbon because she talks non-stop.

Has anybody made note of Balcones in the 300 pages of this thread (I thought I had, but search function says otherwise)? Wifey had an interest in it because it was based out of Waco and she went to Baylor, but everything I've had from them is solid. Their Rumble is my fave, but their bourbon is also quite drinkable. Not sure about their availability outside of Texas, however. Normally runs in the $40-50 range for a fifth, but the specialty stuff runs higher.

Their rye tastes weirdly like a scotch but I like it.

So I also dipped my toe into the Texas whiskey scene, and while I did not enjoy the Balcones (Baby Blue) nor the TX Whiskey, I found Garrison Brothers very good if not a tad over priced.

So I also dipped my toe into the Texas whiskey scene, and while I did not enjoy the Balcones (Baby Blue) nor the TX Whiskey, I found Garrison Brothers very good if not a tad over priced.

The Baby Blue I like the least of what I've sampled. The Rumble is great, their bourbon is good, not great.

My go to at the moment is Whistle Pig Homestock, which is only 45% rye. Very smooth taste, reminiscent of the High West Valley Tan, that unfortunately is no longer made. Perfect weeknight wind down whiskey.

Tried Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Black Label. The Buffalo was pretty much what I expected, though I may prefer Larceny a little bit. The Evan Williams was very good for the price. Not great but if you're going to be not great, I'd much prefer you to be on the thin side than the harsh side and that's what it is. Easy to drink if nothing else.

Tried Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Black Label. The Buffalo was pretty much what I expected, though I may prefer Larceny a little bit. The Evan Williams was very good for the price. Not great but if you're going to be not great, I'd much prefer you to be on the thin side than the harsh side and that's what it is. Easy to drink if nothing else.

How easy is Buffalo Trace to find in Seattle?

Any thoughts on Old Forester 1920 prohibition style? Looking for a nicer bottle and someone rec'd to me as something non four roses which I usually drink. Thanks as didn't have the patience to search 700pages here!

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520 is awesome. Tastes like vanilla extract with toffee and nutmeg.

Back