• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Jesus Whiskey 16, from my much nicer hotel in Chicago, is The Arran Malt Distillery Master of Distilling II - The Man with the Golden Glass 12 Year (103.6 pf). This is finished in Palo Cortado sherry casks and I definitely pick up on those notes. There's a nice whisper of peat, a great thick consistency and lots of honey and malt and orange and spice. Maybe even a little salty. I'm really loving this one. It's super tasty, got some unique things going on, it's smooth but still has a nice little bit of heat. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Charlotte folks, the Charlotte Bourbon Society has barrel picks of Yellowstone Single Barrel, Templeton Rye, Old Soul Single Barrel, Ry3 Cask Strength, and Whistlepig 10 Year Rye. Available at the Waverly and South Park ABC stores, and a decent supply left. Eager to try the first two on the list I purchased yesterday. Might go get a bottle of the Ry3 tonight or tomorrow at South Park (Waverly was out).

Jesus whiskey 17 is one I know pretty well, The Dalmore Cigar Malt (88pf). It's nice and rich and I get a lot of malt and burnt orange. It's not overly complex, but moreso than a MacCallan 12 or something like that. It's got a nice easy drinking quality to it with just a hint of heat. It's totally a very nice whiskey, particularly for those that aren't looking for peat. And it's relatively easy to find.

Jesus Whiskey 18 is Jura 21 Year Tide (93.4pf). This is quite rich, with a bit of a bite to it up front. I get quite a bit of spiciness and nuttiness. There is something pretty unique about it that I really like. This is really good and definitely something I’d like more of.

Whiskey 19 is Whisky Works Quartermaster 11 year (92.8pf). Providing the background on this one because it’s interesting. This whisky “marries Highland grain and Speyside malts which have been through four different maturations and finishes. The grain whisky was matured in rum barrels, followed by a finish in Pedro Ximénez sherry casks, while the malts were matured in a combination of American white oak and sherry butts.”

I really like this one a lot. Like a lot a lot. I get nuttiness, breadiness and decent amount of dried fruit. Got a really nice heat to it and a nice light honey sweetness and consistency. This is one of my favorites of the box. Not as elegant as some of the older whiskeys, but it’s got a ton of flavor and is hitting all the right spots. Big big fan.

Tell me more of this advent whiskey thing.
Is it available in the US?
Is it available without that godawful scotch?
Bourbon preferred. Rye and Irish welcome. Canadians will not be thrown away but would rather not.

Tell me more of this advent whiskey thing.
Is it available in the US?
Is it available without that godawful scotch?
Bourbon preferred. Rye and Irish welcome. Canadians will not be thrown away but would rather not.

Mine is a bourbon one. It is from thespiritco.com. It is a nice mix of big brands and some I had never heard of before.

Most of the whiskies in the box aren't super peaty, if at all, even if they are Scotch. Heavily peated isn't my thing either, but there is some really good stuff in here so the peated ones don't bother me.

Jesus whiskey 20 is J.J. Corry Anfa made for Drinks by the Dram (100pf). Ohhhh, this is an exceptional Irish whiskey. A nice sweetness to it but with a decent spiciness to go with, kind of like a red hot or something. Maybe a little lemon too. Nice burn but not super hot. I really like this pour a lot. It's probably good I don't have a bottle of it because I would CRUSH it in a single sitting.

Whiskey 21 is GlenAllachie 12 Year Old 2009 (cask 5551) (115pf). Man, I like this a whole lot. Super thick and rich. I get caramel and chocolate and burnt orange. It’s definitely got some heat to it, but it still drinks pretty smooth. This is definitely my kind of whiskey. I would absolutely love to have a bottle of this in my collection. Might be my favorite of the box so far. Definitely in the top 5.

I saw a brief news item today that many of the distilleries in Kentucky are in the process of auctioning off their best product to raise money for the communities and people affected by the tornados. It may be a one time opportunity some of you folks may be interested in. I have no details. Maybe google does.

Whiskey 22 is Balvenie 21 Year Old PortWood Finish (80pf). A ton of fruit like peaches and pears. Slightly oaky, no smoke. It is unbelievably smooth. It’s is certainly beyond excellent, but I would love to see what this tastes like at cask strength, or at least at something higher than 80 proof.

I had a glass of Calumet 15 tonight. Higher proof than the 14 with a nice little burn. Happy with my purchase.

Whiskey 22 is Balvenie 21 Year Old PortWood Finish (80pf). A ton of fruit like peaches and pears. Slightly oaky, no smoke. It is unbelievably smooth. It’s is certainly beyond excellent, but I would love to see what this tastes like at cask strength, or at least at something higher than 80 proof.

I love the Caribbean cask.

For those that want to help the families in Kentucky.

Kentucky distilleries and bourbon fans have organized a “bottle lift” to raise money for Western Kentucky tornado relief. Whiskey expert Fred Minnick, the Kentucky Distillers’ Association and a group called The Bourbon Crusaders spearheaded a drive to round up once-in-a-lifetime items and donations from private collectors. The items will be auctioned at kybourbonbenefit.com, which goes live at 5 p.m. Dec. 16.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/lexgoeat/bourbon/article256592541.html#storylink=cpy

Damn, too late, it ended. Looks like they had some very cool items and hopefully raised a ton of cash!

Jesus Whiskey 23 is Talisker 18 (92.6pf). I can’t think of Talisker without thinking of the Scotsman’s Return. “The king o' drinks, as I conceive it, Talisker, Isla, or Glenlivet!” I get some mintiness and some herbalness on the nose. Smoky but not overpoweringly so. Lots going on with some fruit from the sherry cask to some spiciness and and maybe some lemon zest. Also a little something like chloroceptic, but in a good way. I dunno, but there’s a lot to take in, and it’s all fantastic. This is really a great scotch and I would highly recommend checking it out. My pop’s take is that it’s just a touch of class, and it really is.

So for final Jesus Whiskey of the year is Mortlach 20 year (86.8 pf). This is really a nice whiskey. Tons of body to it, with a good amount of oakiness and I got a lot of burnt orange peel. Has a bite that was stronger than I would expect from something this low in proof, but I dug it. A really good way to end the calendar this year.

Back