• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I was one ahead then took a golf trip and have been 3 behind since. I've enjoyed the sneak peak at what was next each pour...

Well, I can give you a couple recommendations of bottles to avoid at all costs.

My wife's family does a bourbon tasting each year, Thanksgiving or Christmas depending on which one has the greater attendance. Four of us (myself, the other two son-in-laws and the one son) each bring three bottles to try. It started off as us buying liquor for each other as presents and developed into a tasting. It's fun, but after several years we struggle to find bottles we haven't tried before. This year in particular led to some pretty obscure selections. I won't bore you guys with our final rankings, but there were two bottles that were absolutely awful: Conviction Straight Bourbon Whiskey and a "bourbon" from Mayberry Spirits. I will candidly admit, it was I who fell for the marketing and slick bottle from Conviction. It *might* be suitable for cooking. Might. The Mayberry concoction, which I did not bring, smelled terrible and tasted even worse. Upon closer review, the label reads "Aged Two Weeks". I kid you not. Literally undrinkable.

Christmas haul was a bottle of Chicken Cock and The Clover Single Barrel 10Y. Particularly excited to try the latter.

The barrel pick Yellowstone I've been drinking throughout the holidays is excellent and incredibly smooth for something 102 proof and aged a little over 5 years. I'm normally a rocks guy, but am going to drink the next couple pours neat - it's so smooth.

Christmas haul was a bottle of Chicken Cock and The Clover Single Barrel 10Y. Particularly excited to try the latter.

The barrel pick Yellowstone I've been drinking throughout the holidays is excellent and incredibly smooth for something 102 proof and aged a little over 5 years. I'm normally a rocks guy, but am going to drink the next couple pours neat - it's so smooth.

That’s funny - we had Chicken Cock (really liked it), the regular Clover single barrel (pretty good) and regular Yellowstone (pretty good) amongst our twelve bottles.

Well, I can give you a couple recommendations of bottles to avoid at all costs.

My wife's family does a bourbon tasting each year, Thanksgiving or Christmas depending on which one has the greater attendance. Four of us (myself, the other two son-in-laws and the one son) each bring three bottles to try. It started off as us buying liquor for each other as presents and developed into a tasting. It's fun, but after several years we struggle to find bottles we haven't tried before. This year in particular led to some pretty obscure selections. I won't bore you guys with our final rankings, but there were two bottles that were absolutely awful: Conviction Straight Bourbon Whiskey and a "bourbon" from Mayberry Spirits. I will candidly admit, it was I who fell for the marketing and slick bottle from Conviction. It *might* be suitable for cooking. Might. The Mayberry concoction, which I did not bring, smelled terrible and tasted even worse. Upon closer review, the label reads "Aged Two Weeks". I kid you not. Literally undrinkable.
that sucks about Conviction, it is made in NC

NC applied and received an allocation of 1792 Single Barrel bottles. Wife picked one up for me for Christmas. Not bad for that price point. My local ABC only had 3, not sure about other allocations.

Chicken Cock is just now becoming regularly available in Florida. A friend of mine gave me a bottle for my birthday and I liked it so I've stayed with it for a while. Good stuff.

Last edited:
I tried the Chicken Cock Rye this week as well. It's good. I'm usually not the biggest rye fan but this was good on the rocks. I prefer the bourbon overall.

I bought a bottle of Redwood Empire Haystack Needle 14 year old barrel proof (about 111). A friend of mine liked it and recommended it.

I didn't enjoy it, although I tried to. Expensive mistake, at least for me. It is finished in port casks, and for me that makes for a diluted Robitussin flavor. Whatever it is, it's not bourbon to me. Try it at a bar before you buy a bottle. People seem to have varying opinions on this one.

I've been doing the bourbon thing lately in an effort to not drink beer. I'm a total novice and am hoping to just find something I'll always be content with that won't break the bank Woodford Reserve and Maker's seem to be good, solid, reliable. Have had the 1792 and thought it was ok. Old Forester Statesman I felt kind of the same about. There are a few more I've forgotten about. I do think I'm partial to stuff that is not as high in alcohol content.

Today I picked up some Woodinville and some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I hope is better than the regular EW swill I drank in college.

I've been doing the bourbon thing lately in an effort to not drink beer. I'm a total novice and am hoping to just find something I'll always be content with that won't break the bank Woodford Reserve and Maker's seem to be good, solid, reliable. Have had the 1792 and thought it was ok. Old Forester Statesman I felt kind of the same about. There are a few more I've forgotten about. I do think I'm partial to stuff that is not as high in alcohol content.

Today I picked up some Woodinville and some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I hope is better than the regular EW swill I drank in college.

I'm a big fan of Rittenhouse Rye and Wild Turkey 101 for everyday drinkers that don't break the bank - both are great in cocktails or neat/on the rocks.

Love the WT 101. Evan Williams white label 100 proof is another good every day mixer or rocks and price makes it a real bang for the buck.

Early Times if you can find it & prefer a sweeter bourbon. $25 for a liter but for some reason is hard to find.

The Woodinville is good. Different in a good way.

The EW Single Barrel is fine, but not my thing. Would probably buy again just because of the price though. Will try the white label sometime soon.

Back