• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I've been doing the bourbon thing lately in an effort to not drink beer. I'm a total novice and am hoping to just find something I'll always be content with that won't break the bank Woodford Reserve and Maker's seem to be good, solid, reliable. Have had the 1792 and thought it was ok. Old Forester Statesman I felt kind of the same about. There are a few more I've forgotten about. I do think I'm partial to stuff that is not as high in alcohol content.

Today I picked up some Woodinville and some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I hope is better than the regular EW swill I drank in college.

Highwest American Prairie wont break the bank and will make you pretty happy.

Any Heaven Hill fans here? Novice bourbon guy but just had some and it was smooth.

I've been doing the bourbon thing lately in an effort to not drink beer. I'm a total novice and am hoping to just find something I'll always be content with that won't break the bank Woodford Reserve and Maker's seem to be good, solid, reliable. Have had the 1792 and thought it was ok. Old Forester Statesman I felt kind of the same about. There are a few more I've forgotten about. I do think I'm partial to stuff that is not as high in alcohol content.

Today I picked up some Woodinville and some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I hope is better than the regular EW swill I drank in college.

Give 4 roses small batch a try. Not real high in abv, not overly expensive and one of the few that seems to be not too tough to find.

I was in a Tecovas store in Nashville this weekend looking at boots While I was waiting a sales associate asked me if I wanted a shot of bourbon (which I found unusual) and of course I said yes. It was something called Garrison Brothers from Texas and was slightly sweet but not sugary. It was very pleasant.

I haven't had Garrison Bros. yet, but this being Texas, it's available in all the liquor stores, much like Balcones and some other Texas whiskeys/bourbons. I think Garrison maybe is more expensive than most of the other Texas swills (although Balcones does have a couple high dollar offerings).

I haven't had Garrison Bros. yet, but this being Texas, it's available in all the liquor stores, much like Balcones and some other Texas whiskeys/bourbons. I think Garrison maybe is more expensive than most of the other Texas swills (although Balcones does have a couple high dollar offerings).

What are some other good Texas offerings?

What are some other good Texas offerings?

I haven't delved into my state's scene too much other than Balcones, which is solid bourbon for its price (about the same as Maker's here in Texas). Some of their non-bourbon offerings are really good, but pricier. I really like their Rumble. The Wife is a Baylor Bear and Balcones is made in Waco (by Okies, FWIW), which is why it gets a lot of drinking in my house.

The wife got some Walking Stick single barrel. It's the first bourbon to get my attention in a while. Nice taste up front, smooth down the hatch, slight lingering burn afterwards. Definitely would buy it again.

Ok, I know nothing about bourbon, however, I saw a video talking about adding oak wood toast to cheaper bourbon to improve the taste. Thinking of trying to fool my BIL into thinking I bought some "expensive" bourbon for his visit next month. Advice/thoughts??

Ok, I know nothing about bourbon, however, I saw a video talking about adding oak wood toast to cheaper bourbon to improve the taste. Thinking of trying to fool my BIL into thinking I bought some "expensive" bourbon for his visit next month. Advice/thoughts??

Don’t you wanna just drink some nice bourbon?

Dude, just stop buying off the bottom shelf. Plenty of bottles in the $25-50 range that taste great without adding 'oak toast' (whatever the fuck that is).

It's not the price - I HATE bourbon, long story, no really not. I just want to see if I can punk my Brother-in-law into thinking this is some top shelf shit

A friend of mine gave me this
tonight. It’s really good.

644f96764518496e2472a0475597ab7c.jpg

Back