• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

The Columbia Room/Passenger was recently named to in the top 50 bars in America along with PX in the area.

Some friends and I went over there the night before the repeal day ball and hovered by the door to the Columbia Room long enough to beg our way in. At their typical closing time we were pretty much the last people there with Katie Nelson pouring one incredible drink after another, then in walks Derek Brown with maybe 15 other crazy good bartenders from around the country - one of them brought maybe a 20 pound cured/aged ham they started carving up and handing out.

Being a fly on the wall as those guys talked about drinks, served up some of their favorites (and let us sample them), etc... Pretty damn fun night. We drank until almost 4am when they had to kick everyone out of the back room (the Passenger had closed a while before that).

Anyway, that place is awesome, and one of the topics up for discussion that night was the Martini. Derek makes one of the best Martinis anywhere on the planet, and based off their conversation it's safe to say RJ's comments on this thread would have been thoroughly mocked.

Cool story DC. Katie is a very talented bartender. GQ did say that Derek makes the best dry martini in America. Will have to find out for myself one day :drool:

Over the holidays I've decided I'm going to endeavor to make a perfect Old Fashioned.

My goal the rest of the week/weekend as well.

Also, Willett Rye has become my new Manhattan go-to, replacing Bulleit Bourbon (which I like more in Manhattans than Bulleit Rye). Halfway through a bottle of Angel's Envy and not loving it as much as I expected.

My goal the rest of the week/weekend as well.

Also, Willett Rye has become my new Manhattan go-to, replacing Bulleit Bourbon (which I like more in Manhattans than Bulleit Rye). Halfway through a bottle of Angel's Envy and not loving it as much as I expected.

Willett Rye is really good stuff. I drink that stuff quite a bit but I don't know if I've had it in a manhattan. I think I might try it tonight just in case.

Any love for Old Overholt Rye? Really enjoyed that in Manhattans lately.

Where can I find good bourbons in Buffalo besides the Premier group stores? So looking forward to getting out of NC for some shopping.

Bought a bottle of Ten High out of curiosity. For $7.95 it is actually a decent mixer. A little on the sweet side but not bad or foul at all. I'm thinking it will be good for the apple/cinnamon recipe that was posted earlier. I've also seen a candy cane infused bourbon recipe that might be fun this time of year.

Ten High was our local College Park bar's rail bourbon and we would dominate it on bourbon night...$1 bourbons, $0.50 from like 8-10. That special only lasted a few months while I was 21 though :(

Ten High was our local College Park bar's rail bourbon and we would dominate it on bourbon night...$1 bourbons, $0.50 from like 8-10. That special only lasted a few months while I was 21 though :(

I didn't realize you were that old. :)

You yourself are disagreeing with people at Buffalo Trace, the distillery that makes Pappy Van Winkle, George T Stagg, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, etc etc. No one says one can't or shouldn't add water or ice to enjoy their bourbon. That is a total red herring and indicative of your terrible reading comprehension (another good reason to neg rep you). The disagreement is whether a "good" bourbon can or should be mixed with anything else, and they guys who make the very best whiskeys in the whole world say the drinker should do whatever they like.

maybe you should have a couple of drinks and calm down...

One of my team members bought me a bottle of woodford reserve with my name engraved on the bottle for Christmas. Woodford is not tops on my list, but it will go down nicely over the holidays and was very much appreciated. The name engraving was pretty cool.

That's funny -- I used this video and his technique last night without having seen your post. Good stuff. I use Woodford, as that is my jam (just bought a big ass bottle of it yesterday). It turned out well. I may experiment and trying muddling an orange slice, then maybe muddling just the orange peel, just to taste the difference.

Back