• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whiskey stones are cool - but before you buy them you should realize they're not really ice replacements. They cool the drink a bit without watering it down, but they're not as cold or effective as real ice.

Still awesome though, and perfect for bourbon.

Have some time now. Here is what I use.

m_78386.jpg

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Spherical Ice Tray Set_10451_10001_57253

Old Crow at $8 says hello. Plenty of semi-quality bourbons at that price, but Old Charter and Old Crow are definitely two of my most bought all-time. Also Kentucky Gentleman was popular with my high school friends, but that's more like $15.

CABIN STILL is where it's at. But it's not available in NC last time I checked.

This might be the first bourbon thread without someone tossing out a woodfords rep. Finally! I would have neg repped the shit out of them. Woodfords is the rubbing alcohol of bourbon. Amateur. Bush league psyche out stuff!

Blanton's

Tuffalodeac and his fiance came to visit me a few months ago and not only did we have a hell of a time, but they bought me a bottle of Blanton's for putting them up. Totally unnecessary, but man was I glad they did it. It was my first intro to Blantons and I loved it.

I'm taking an extended tour of the bourbon aisle at the ABC. Might try some rye this time.
The last bottle I got was Old Weller and I liked it okay, I just finished it up this evening.

WLWELLERANTIQUE_lg.jpg

I have a lot of favorite bourbons. I keep Makers and 1792 for mixing. Prefer Basil Hayden, Woodford and Blantons on the rocks. I like Blantons a lot, but for some reason won't spend $40 on it like Van Winkle or Macallan 12. I do not like whiskey rocks. I have them and once a year break them out and every time they make my drink taste like I am sucking on rocks. At some point next year, on a very cold January night with a fire roaring they will make another appearance the realization will set in again I don't like them.

ABC store had Makers on sale with two glass bottles of Cheerwine last week. The slogan said "Mixes well with the locals." They weren't lying.

Got 2 sets of whiskey stones from Teraforma before they fancied them up with this bag:
http://www.teroforma.com/Set_of_9_Whisky_Stones_20187.html

Mine don't look that rounded on the edge, either. But I have enjoyed them with my bourbons, but I prefer mine neat and others have mentioned it doesn't get as cold as with ice. But they are heavy enough that they don't slide down your glass and chip a tooth, either.

Basil Hayden is by far my favorite, but it is heavy on the rye.

Also like Blanton's and Booker's a ton.

I'm on a huge rye kick. Drinking High West Bourye tonight. Fucking amazing.

ABC store had Makers on sale with two glass bottles of Cheerwine last week. The slogan said "Mixes well with the locals." They weren't lying.

They were selling the hell out of this stuff at Ribfest. We had some Cheerwine and Makers and made our own. So tasty, and I drank that solid for a week.

Question about Whiskey stones, are they special stones, or could I just grab some nice looking rocks in my yard, wash them, and freeze them?

They were selling the hell out of this stuff at Ribfest. We had some Cheerwine and Makers and made our own. So tasty, and I drank that solid for a week.

Question about Whiskey stones, are they special stones, or could I just grab some nice looking rocks in my yard, wash them, and freeze them?

They are different in that they are non-porous and are designed so that they do not impart any flavor to the whiskey. I think a normal rock would.

Back