Page 3 of 272 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 5432

Thread: Good bourbon

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by DDeac08 View Post
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ppy-van-winkle

    Pretty pumped to see the 23 yr pappy on the drink menu at natl harbor tomorrow:

    http://www.beerandbourbon.com/nation...bor/drink-menu
    Cool article on Grantland. Sean Brock is a badass. I'm star-struck every time I see him around town. LOOOOVE Husk, too.

    Anyway, I finally found a restaurant that had some Pappy stashed and went with the 20 year. Best bourbon I've ever had. The also had some 23year, but they were selling that at $60/shot - had to pass.

  2. #42
    I'm pissed I'm late to this thread.

    Woodford is my go to as an inexpensive, but decent bourbon. Blanton's is probably my favorite, but I'm also a fan of 1792 and Elijah Craig.

  3. #43
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Yea it's Friday!!!!

    Friday is late lunch (great meatball sandwich) and three triple Knob Creeks. Well they would be triples at most places. At our place, they are called singles.

    I always chuckle when someone orders a double there.

  4. #44
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    I liked Jefferson Reserve better than 15 year Pappy in a blind taste test. For reals.

  5. #45
    Woodford Reserve

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by leftcoastdeac View Post
    Cool article on Grantland. Sean Brock is a badass. I'm star-struck every time I see him around town. LOOOOVE Husk, too.

    Anyway, I finally found a restaurant that had some Pappy stashed and went with the 20 year. Best bourbon I've ever had. The also had some 23year, but they were selling that at $60/shot - had to pass.
    Yeah, I'm guessing the chances of me getting some are slim to none. They probably have a few bottles at most and the thing starts tonight. Not good.

  7. #47
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    80 proof wild turkey is the best at that price if you want a good cheap bourbon. I don't get the love for Woodford Reserve on here. It's crap.

  8. #48
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesDeacs View Post
    I'm pissed I'm late to this thread.

    Woodford is my go to as an inexpensive, but decent bourbon. Blanton's is probably my favorite, but I'm also a fan of 1792 and Elijah Craig.
    I didn't include Woodford's because here it only costs about $25-28/bottle. it's below the $30-40 threshhold.

    Woodford's is good, but in the same price range I like Knob Creek a lot better.

  9. #49
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by RubbinsRacin View Post
    80 proof wild turkey is the best at that price if you want a good cheap bourbon. I don't get the love for Woodford Reserve on here. It's crap.
    80 proof Turkey is for wusses. You might as well get Kid Rock's girlie flavored bourbon.

    There's virtually no price difference between the 80 and 101 Turkey. Why ever go for the 80?

  10. #50
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    Basil Hayden, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Eagle Rare...all way better than Woodfords Reserve. I will now stop my Woodfords bashing.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    I didn't include Woodford's because here it only costs about $25-28/bottle. it's below the $30-40 threshhold.

    Woodford's is good, but in the same price range I like Knob Creek a lot better.
    I got to do the Woodford tour in KY when we went... so awesome. I love the $1,000 Mint Julep promo they do

  12. #52
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    80 proof Turkey is for wusses. You might as well get Kid Rock's girlie flavored bourbon.

    There's virtually no price difference between the 80 and 101 Turkey. Why ever go for the 80?
    Just sayin because I figured the Woodfords reppers would be scurred of the 101. I agree the 101 is great. Rare Breed, 107-110 barrel proof is good too, but I'd probably get something different in that price range next time.
    Last edited by RubbinsRacin; 06-17-2011 at 11:54 AM.

  13. #53
    Goes to show you how different tastes work. I don't get the love for Knob. To each his own.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by deacphan View Post
    these whiskey stones sound tiggity. posrep to you buddy.
    i had whiskey stones and they never actually cooled my drink. i tried several different kinds and none seemed to work.

  15. #55
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    8,938
    Quote Originally Posted by discdude View Post
    i had whiskey stones and they never actually cooled my drink. i tried several different kinds and none seemed to work.
    I have to put about 6 of them in a drink to cool it off. Pretty much stopped using them.

  16. #56
    Robert O'Kelley
    dot com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    7,473
    To help me decide my next sampling - NC ABC stock list, calculated price per liter and Wine Enthusiast rating of at least 90:


  17. #57
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    Eagle Rare ftw.

  18. #58
    The Pumpfaker greekdeac2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,060
    Woodford Reserve is good.


    Sent from my iPhone

  19. #59
    I have a bottle of 12 yr Van Winkle special reserve that I am enjoying. I have not been able to find any pappy in my area.

  20. #60
    I love Woodford. Don't understand the hate.

    Also, Rare Breed is freaking incredible. And the bottle looks like a turkey, which is sweet. Always have thought it's really cool how on the nice bottles they hand-write the batch numbers, proof, etc. So cool that the proof can vary considerably on batches of Rare Breed, depending on how it's made.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •