• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

man-rye-whsk.jpg

Old Crow and Wild Turkey give me headaches.

I've had a crowd of headaches.

anyone tried this?

Jim Beam Devil's Cut – The Angel's Share is the term for the bourbon that evaporates through the porous barrels it's aged in. The Devil's Cut, according to Jim Beam, is the bourbon that is absorbed into the wood of the barrel but doesn't evaporate. Whether the distiller somehow squeezes the liquid out of the barrel staves or it's just the liquid that resides at the bottom of the barrel, the effect is dramatic – an incredibly oaky whiskey that exhibits all the character of the barrel. It's mixed with aged Jim Beam bourbon to moderate the flavors a bit, but make no mistake – this is to bourbons as Darth Vader is to fathers. Like Lord Vader, it's incredibly appealing and just over the top enough to be termed badass, like every dad wants to be. The oak has a huge punch, followed by vanilla and muted caramel and spice. In short, a whiskey dad would be proud to call his own.

anyone tried this?

Jim Beam Devil's Cut – The Angel's Share is the term for the bourbon that evaporates through the porous barrels it's aged in. The Devil's Cut, according to Jim Beam, is the bourbon that is absorbed into the wood of the barrel but doesn't evaporate. Whether the distiller somehow squeezes the liquid out of the barrel staves or it's just the liquid that resides at the bottom of the barrel, the effect is dramatic – an incredibly oaky whiskey that exhibits all the character of the barrel. It's mixed with aged Jim Beam bourbon to moderate the flavors a bit, but make no mistake – this is to bourbons as Darth Vader is to fathers. Like Lord Vader, it's incredibly appealing and just over the top enough to be termed badass, like every dad wants to be. The oak has a huge punch, followed by vanilla and muted caramel and spice. In short, a whiskey dad would be proud to call his own.

Speaking of the Lord, my friends and I used to drink Lord Calvert whiskey. Also known as bowing down to the Lord.

Actually one or two rocks will release more of the flavor of bourbon, so ice>stones IMHO.

To help me decide my next sampling - NC ABC stock list, calculated price per liter and Wine Enthusiast rating of at least 90:

Off that list I would get, Eagle Rare, EW SB and the Four Roses Small Batch.

old forester was my granddad's bourbon...I still have a bottle of his rotgut that is over 40 years old.

I've been on an eagle rare kick lately, but I still love me the basil hayden.

Anybody had the Henry Mckenna single barrel??

I picked up the Old Forrester this time around. It's smooth and corny, but there isn't much to it beyond that. This was just straight from the bottle though, I will do more intensive testing later :D

I picked up the Old Forrester this time around. It's smooth and corny, but there isn't much to it beyond that. This was just straight from the bottle though, I will do more intensive testing later :D

I've got an Old Forrester glass decanter that was my wife's granddad. I try to keep it filled with fresh OF 86.

I have a bottle of 12 yr Van Winkle special reserve that I am enjoying. I have not been able to find any pappy in my area.

That's pretty solid. A number of bars near me have it, but i can't find it in any liquer store around.

Just picked up a bottle of Whistlepig 10 yr rye today. Wowza!

i just got a bottle of elmer t. lee, very very tasty

I friend of mine brought over a bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 yr on Sat night because her boss gave it to her thinking she liked bourbon, but she doesn't. Win for me!

You should aspire to this story.

Bing Crosby and Phil Harris were playing golf in Scotland. Late one night they were coming back from a bar when they passed a scotch distillery. The lights were on and people were working inside.

The legend goes that Crosby said to Harris,"I though you said you could drink all the scotch they could make."

Harris repleid,"At least I've got them working nights."

On your trip, make them work overtime.

I found out yesterday that a friend's gf's dad is a bigwig at Buffalo Trace...I need to figure out how to take advantage of that

The way we found out is yesterday we were at their house (he's roommates with my longest friend- since kindergarten) and he had half a barrel in his dining room/front foyer area drying- he got it as a bday gift for her for decorations and artsy stuff (or something, I don't remember the specifics)

Back